Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--

I did a search on this forum but after 6 pages I bailed and am starting a new discussion.

Recently purchased a couple of kayaks and transported them 20 miles on the roof using Thule crossbars and a couple sets of Yakima "J" hook kayak racks. The tiedowns around the hulls of the kayaks were fine, but I was not too impressed running the straps from the front of the kayaks to the tow eye under the front of the van. I am concerned that during the 200-300 mile trip down to their ultimate destination, the straps will cause paint wear on the hood. I also couldn't locate a suitable rear tie location in the rear (no trailer hitch).

Does anyone have any advice/photos of their setup for bow and stern tie downs for their kayaks or canoes?

I have seen on-line nylon straps that can be bolted inside the engine compartment that can be flipped up between the fender and hood for use and folded back down when not in use. Have any of you all used them--if so, is there any rubbing between the strap and the hood? Also, which bolt did you use?

How critical is the stern tie down? I think I can run a stern line to the rear crossbar foot, that would help limit the rear-ward movement. These kayaks are relatively light and short (11 feet long) so I don't think there should be too much vertical movement if they are not tethered to the rear of the van.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, advice, recommendations, and/or photos!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have the OEM optional Kayak holder. It attaches to the factory style cross bars. Came with long straps to go front and back as well. I don’t use them. Only two straps across. One in front and one biased toward rear. Have never had it loosen up on me. Several hundred miles or short trips. The straps work best with one twist. A parallel flat strap will oscillate in the wind. A twist in the strap keeps the oscillations down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
548 Posts
Since you are using aftermarket cross bars, how about moving them as far apart as you can for stability? That might mitigate the need for the front/rear straps.

Part of the reason I got aftermarket crossbars for our van was for basically that same purpose (we have a very long roof box for long skis that would interfere with the hatch unless it is mounted fairly far forward). Well, that, and they are extra long for mounting extra equipment.

-Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts