Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Touring wants me to tighten the gas cap, but its already tight.
tried removing & reinstalling, but still getting the warning. Anyone recognize this? Solution?

·
Registered
404 Posts
New gas cap? $6-$8 at Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's... :rollingeyes:

Also, it may take a while for the light to reset itself... like a day or two...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got the same message on a recent trip up north. I stopped, turned off the engine, unscrewed the cap, tighted it back, restarted and message went away and hasn't appeared since. Maybe a fluke?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 06 Touring wants me to tighten the gas cap, but its already tight.
tried removing & reinstalling, but still getting the warning. Anyone recognize this? Solution?
Our '06 did it right after buying it new in '06. I called the dealer service manager and he said it would go away after so many engine starts (I forgot the number) and it did. It's never done it again.

Bill

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just had the same message on our '06 Touring with no apparent cause after driving 800+ miles in two day. It came on several times in a row after several restarts, re-tightens, removal and replacements, etc. This was probably 2/3 of a tank into my 4th fill-up.

All I know was it had been quite hot (over 100 degrees) but this was in the evening, a few hours after the main drive, running to the store. It continued for a couple of days. The car had just seen larger temp shifts than the car usually sees, and much longer driving periods.

In any case, the car got light use-- maybe 50 miles over a week, then another 800+ miles yesterday. I figure either the cap WAS actually slightly loose, though it felt tight and just took several days to reset, or else it was a fluke caused by the extreme temp shifts or something actually breaking the seal that cleared out of the way. (A little piece of trash?)

Could be a bad cap, but it just passed emissions and it stopped the error for the next several fillups...

Strange...

·
Registered
153 Posts
We had a 2001 before and had similar behavior from some light (I guess it was just the check engine light?) which we were told was probably from a loose cap. I don't get warning lights telling drivers of a loose cap and then taking multiple days to acknowledge that the problem is fixed. It seems a pretty silly way to diagnose and monitor vehicle concerns. How would one ever know for certain that any problem had been properly addressed if all diagnostics took a couple of days to respond to every system change? It seems to take "cause and effect" out of the diagnostics loop....

·
Registered
2 Posts
my wife got that error in our 09 oddy i drove it until it had 0 miles to go and filled up. Then the light went out and hasn't came back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2010 Odyssey Touring started to give the Tighten Fuel Cap message. Took it to dealer and finally after couple of visits, after pushing them to investigate further, they found that the fuel pump's gasket was not set right (supposedly when they did a fix for the recall in 2014 - two years back). After about 7+ hours, it has been fixed. Me having my 8 year / 120000 mile warranty also helped and I didn't have to shell a dime

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I would hope they would have fixed it even if it hadn't been under extended warranty since they caused the problem to begin with. This is why I hate other people working on my car, even for a recall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts