21 - 40 of 72 Posts

Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
Discussion Starter #21
Well, they're a lot smaller than I imagined. 馃槄

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
The old ones are pretty easy to get to once the car is jacked up. Rock then back and forth until the lip snaps out of it. They took reasonable force to pull out.

The OEM one is much softer and easily compressed by hand.

OEM is 3陆" and Timbren is 4录"

Safety first!

Old one is out!

There's a lip into which they snap into.

Little lubrication goes a long way!

I didn't have a c-clamp or any other clamp ready, but tie down strap did the trick. Applied pressure, then snapped it in by rocking back and forth.

Driver's side is in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Passenger side is in.

Now there's only 鈪"-录" gap between frame and bump stop in the driveway.

Sits the same unloaded since bump stops don't make a contact.

Time to take it out for a drive!

Reactions: unlock42

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
So I just took it out for a drive with the family. All I can say is I'm very pleased with the result!
I'd say the rear stiffness matches the front. Going over bumps used to be crisp upfront and very soft in the rear. Now it's crisp on both front and back. Launching off the traffic light is more solid as the rear doesn't squat at all. It feels planted at highway speeds, way more like a car than a van.
Taking turns is a lot more solid and predictable. Definitely an improvement in my book!

Reactions: unlock42

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Just looked down below. It appears that the suspension settled after overextention of being jacked up and now there's barely any space in between. Driving it around today was enjoyable without the soft tail end! 馃榿馃憤馃徎

Registered
Just ordered from etrailer.com for $225 or so. Availability is July 17th, so hopefully I can get these in hand and installed before the next time we got camping with the pop up trailer. Glad to see this exists for the Odyssey since airbags were the only other real alternative for dealing with the excessive squat in this thing.

Registered
Are these hollow on the inside so that there is progressive compliance as more and more force is applied in the slight vertical direction?

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Are these hollow on the inside so that there is progressive compliance as more and more force is applied in the slight vertical direction?
They are hollow on the inside, yes, as you can see in this photo. It's been Timbren's design for a while now. You'd have to reach out to them for specifics of why they built it the way they did. All I know is they work great for us. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Yes...and it'll be tiny lol
They're already in. And yes, they are pretty tiny compared to what big trucks get. But they're good for 3,500 lbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
I wonder if those will work with coilovers? lowering van by 1-1.5 inch...
They will negate almost any drop you'll throw at them as they have between 录-陆" gap between frame and these. So I doubt it would lower more than 鈪" once it rests on bump stops.

Registered
I wonder if those will work with coilovers? lowering van by 1-1.5 inch...
Depending which coilovers you go with, the springs should have a higher rating too... so might address some of sag from the stock springs.
I thought I read that BC colilovers come with 7kg rear springs.

Registered
If I may post an addendum for the wee folk (I'm 5'1 / 105 athletic). This was by far one of the hardest car jobs I've ever done, physically. Try as I might, I couldn't quite coax the OEM bump stops out of their homes so I had to resort to brains (eventually) over brawn.

The driver's side was cut with a hacksaw and then pried up. This must have taken an hour and I taught a lot of passing dog walkers how to curse. Did anyone else notice time slowing down this evening? That was my fault, sorry!

The passenger side saw me drop the exhaust off the two rearmost hangers and drill at an angle down through the bump stop. I then inserted a screwdriver and popped the f****r up. Easy peasy. It took longer to convince the exhaust hangers off their retainers than it did to free poop emoji bump stop.

So the van basically won all the battles but I won the war.

I just thought someone else might appreciate an alternative method, possibly my fellow travel-sized womenfolk. I can't be the only one here.

I shamelessly used the tie down method to seat the Timbren, with great results (thank you for the info). You just have to hold it to make it seat straight. I used Windex for lube because my silicone spray was fodder for the battle against the driver's side bs. Didn't help there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
If I may post an addendum for the wee folk (I'm 5'1 / 105 athletic). This was by far one of the hardest car jobs I've ever done, physically. Try as I might, I couldn't quite coax the OEM bump stops out of their homes so I had to resort to brains (eventually) over brawn.

The driver's side was cut with a hacksaw and then pried up. This must have taken an hour and I taught a lot of passing dog walkers how to curse. Did anyone else notice time slowing down this evening? That was my fault, sorry!

The passenger side saw me drop the exhaust off the two rearmost hangers and drill at an angle down through the bump stop. I then inserted a screwdriver and popped the f****r up. Easy peasy. It took longer to convince the exhaust hangers off their retainers than it did to free poop emoji bump stop.

So the van basically won all the battles but I won the war.

I just thought someone else might appreciate an alternative method, possibly my fellow travel-sized womenfolk. I can't be the only one here.

I shamelessly used the tie down method to seat the Timbren, with great results (thank you for the info). You just have to hold it to make it seat straight. I used Windex for lube because my silicone spray was fodder for the battle against the driver's side bs. Didn't help there.

View attachment 156422

View attachment 156423

View attachment 156426

View attachment 156427
Very nice write up! I'm glad the strap method helped!
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, stout built male well over 200 lbs, so I just rocked it side to side till it gave way, and gave way it did! Hardest part was not busting my knuckles when it went. 馃槄
Good job outsmarting the bump stop, and thank you for posting it on here so someone else can use your method as well!

Reactions: joe422

Registered
@serega12 Thanks for all the info and pics. Thanks to your tie down strap idea, I had it ready.
Removal of the factory bump stops was a breeze. I used the straps around the wheel and cinched it tight, and the bump stops popped off.

For Install, the instructions say to use a 2 x 4 and lower the car. I used a couple hockey pucks and it worked pretty well. I also lubed it with soapy water.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Glad I could help! Those are great ideas as well!

Registered
Wow! Timing is just impeccable! I was getting my tools out to do the Timbren when I got an update email for this thread... (y)

Thanks Serega and Yuantrouble for all the pics too~

-Pulling the bumpstops off w/ the strap around the tire was brilliant. Took longer running my long straps into position than it took to remove the stops.

-Installing was cake too... just sprayed a little silicone spray onto the Timbren's flange, then use the strap to pull it into place.
Again, took longer running the straps around the bushing and the susp arm than it took to seat the bushing~

***Btw, I used the ratcheting strap (1" wide) that didnt have any hooks, but just looped back into the ratchet. seem to work well.

Thanks again everyone who contributed to this thread!

Registered
Those are factory 2018-2020 across all trims. They'll stay in. I believe Timbren will replace the orange ones? I'm not sure until I get the parts.
Did you replace the orange ones pictured in the thread of the acorn stops in the spring?

thanks for the help!!!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts