Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

Registered
Did you replace the orange ones pictured in the thread of the acorn stops in the spring?

thanks for the help!!!
Basically you'll be pulling off the orange foam/rubber bump stop that's shaped like a cone... or a 馃挬

Then insert the Timbren Cylinder shaped bump stops.

Registered
Basically you'll be pulling off the orange foam/rubber bump stop that's shaped like a cone... or a 馃挬

Then insert the Timbren Cylinder shaped bump stops.
Cool. Thanks!
What holds the new one in place? Is it adhesive or is there attaching mounting hardware?

Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
Discussion Starter #43
Cool. Thanks!
What holds the new one in place? Is it adhesive or is there attaching mounting hardware?
It "snaps" into the lip just like the factory one.

Registered
Very cool guys.

I鈥榤 in the Smokey mountains with my 2018 Elite, and the rear end is very unstable while driving in the mountains with the rear end loaded with luggage and food. May have to give the Timbrens a try.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Very cool guys.

I鈥榤 in the Smokey mountains with my 2018 Elite, and the rear end is very unstable while driving in the mountains with the rear end loaded with luggage and food. May have to give the Timbrens a try.
You will love them! We took ours on some logging roads to get up on some distant areas and it did great! 馃榿 Got quite a bit dusty as we followed another car, but the views alone were worth it!

Reactions: joe422

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
What size is the box on top of your vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
18 cu ft. It's this one:

Registered
Made it home today from Sapphire, NC to Columbus, OH in 8.5 hours flat with three stops for my two toddlers.

Odyssesy was cruising 80-90mph, but man does it feel unstable with a load hitting the turns in the mountains. Once the weight transfers, it鈥檚 ok feeling.

But you guys know that feeling when you hit that curve at 50, and it feels like it鈥檚 about to go on 3 wheels, but it doesn鈥檛? Have these helped with that?

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Made it home today from Sapphire, NC to Columbus, OH in 8.5 hours flat with three stops for my two toddlers.

Odyssesy was cruising 80-90mph, but man does it feel unstable with a load hitting the turns in the mountains. Once the weight transfers, it鈥檚 ok feeling.

But you guys know that feeling when you hit that curve at 50, and it feels like it鈥檚 about to go on 3 wheels, but it doesn鈥檛? Have these helped with that?
Yes. I noticed it's a lot more stable and predictable in turns at highway speeds.

Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
Yikes, okay time for some Timbrens lol.

On our recent road trip we had the 3rd row seats down as usual and packed to the rim...

The etrailer ones are rated at only 2,000 lbs despite them looking identical to the Timrens. Currently $225.40

The Timrens are rated at 3,500 lbs. Currently $265.18

Might as well just get the Timbrens with the higher rating eh?

Reactions: serega12

Registered
Discussion Starter #51

Registered
This is my first time learning about bumpstops. Very interesting. Are there any risks or sacrifices made by using an upgraded bumpstops?

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
This is my first time learning about bumpstops. Very interesting. Are there any risks or sacrifices made by using an upgraded bumpstops?
No. The rear will behave like the front over speed bumps. Less body roll at highway speed. Rear will no longer sag. I don't really see any of those as negatives.

Registered
No. The rear will behave like the front over speed bumps. Less body roll at highway speed. Rear will no longer sag. I don't really see any of those as negatives.
First time I've heard of this too... any chance of increased potential for damage to the underside of the body where the bumpstops hit? So they work similar to sway bars to reduce roll?

Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
After experiencing our recent road trip with the van fully loaded at hwy speeds, carving the mountain roads the stock bump stops are indeed a safety risk for not being adequate enough. Therefore, these superior aftermarket bump stops would bring only benefits to the handling and safety so it's a double win all around.

OEM Bump Stops = Cheap quality and Inadequate for our vans, exponentially with more load / weight.

Reactions: serega12

Registered
From just the look of it, it just seems like a strange way to reduce body roll. I assume you'll turn and lean, then hit the bump stop (which you'd likely feel something when this happens), and then it'll progressively compress a few cm's until it reaches a max compression. Or alternately you're already hitting the bumpstop, at which point you're primarily relying on the bumpstop's progressive compression and rebound characteristics on that corner until it is offloaded to the rest of the suspension? There can't be that much give on these bumpstops as they're small. I'm obviously missing something, but I do like the idea of stiffening up the rear end a little bit... I did a twisty highway trip last month and my wife ended up getting motion sickness from the floaty ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
From just the look of it, it just seems like a strange way to reduce body roll. I assume you'll turn and lean, then hit the bump stop (which you'd likely feel something when this happens), and then it'll progressively compress a few cm's until it reaches a max compression. Or alternately you're already hitting the bumpstop, at which point you're primarily relying on the bumpstop's progressive compression and rebound characteristics on that corner until it is offloaded to the rest of the suspension? There can't be that much give on these bumpstops as they're small. I'm obviously missing something, but I do like the idea of stiffening up the rear end a little bit... I did a twisty highway trip last month and my wife ended up getting motion sickness from the floaty ride.
When the van is even lightly loaded - they make full contact with Timbrens.

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
Also, factory bump stops are cheap squishy foam. Timbrens are solid rubber. They don't replace springs but rather supplement them.

Reactions: unlock42

Registered
They are installed in place of the bumpstops but are rubber springs, helper springs in the first place. Timbrens like this are used on many medium to heavy duty trucks to increase load carying capacity as an alternative to helper springs or airbags.

Registered
Took the plunge based on this thread and found, although there are very few steps and tools required, it was a frustrating install. I first tried prying the original bumpstops out, but found it was tearing into them, so I tried the ratchet strap around the wheel and added some elbow grease to rock them back and forth. This worked fairly easily. Ratcheting the Timbren's down didn't work. WIth the first one I was able to follow Timbren's instructions and use soapy water and a rubber puck above the Timbren prior to lowering, which seated the Timbren almost entirely. I then popped open the tailgate and shoved down on the floor a few times... I heard it slightly pop into place. This didn't work on the other side. A bunch of different attempts could only partially seat the Timbren lip. I ended up grease lubing the Timbren, sandwiching the puck between the frame and Timbren, lowering the rear side down again, and doing about 20 semi jumps in the back of the Van. There was no "pop" sound into place... I just had to constanty look under to see how it was seating. In hindsight, ratcheting down the timbren as much as possible before lowering on the puck might have helped to keep the Timbren centered.

Going for a drive there was a noticeable difference in stiffness, even unloaded. This was noticeable on acceleration, turning and going over speedbumps. It's hard to put a number on the increased stiffness as I haven't hit any turns at highway speeds, but in city driving my wife didn't notice. I guess I would approximate 30% stiffer in the rear. Overall I'm satsified.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts