Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Took the plunge based on this thread and found, although there are very few steps and tools required, it was a frustrating install. I first tried prying the original bumpstops out, but found it was tearing into them, so I tried the ratchet strap around the wheel and added some elbow grease to rock them back and forth. This worked fairly easily. Ratcheting the Timbren's down didn't work. WIth the first one I was able to follow Timbren's instructions and use soapy water and a rubber puck above the Timbren prior to lowering, which seated the Timbren almost entirely. I then popped open the tailgate and shoved down on the floor a few times... I heard it slightly pop into place. This didn't work on the other side. A bunch of different attempts could only partially seat the Timbren lip. I ended up grease lubing the Timbren, sandwiching the puck between the frame and Timbren, lowering the rear side down again, and doing about 20 semi jumps in the back of the Van. There was no "pop" sound into place... I just had to constanty look under to see how it was seating. In hindsight, ratcheting down the timbren as much as possible before lowering on the puck might have helped to keep the Timbren centered.

Going for a drive there was a noticeable difference in stiffness, even unloaded. This was noticeable on acceleration, turning and going over speedbumps. It's hard to put a number on the increased stiffness as I haven't hit any turns at highway speeds, but in city driving my wife didn't notice. I guess I would approximate 30% stiffer in the rear. Overall I'm satsified.
That's good to hear! That's a good description of the increased stiffness.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
578 Posts
Took the plunge based on this thread and found, although there are very few steps and tools required, it was a frustrating install. I first tried prying the original bumpstops out, but found it was tearing into them, so I tried the ratchet strap around the wheel and added some elbow grease to rock them back and forth. This worked fairly easily. Ratcheting the Timbren's down didn't work. WIth the first one I was able to follow Timbren's instructions and use soapy water and a rubber puck above the Timbren prior to lowering, which seated the Timbren almost entirely. I then popped open the tailgate and shoved down on the floor a few times... I heard it slightly pop into place. This didn't work on the other side. A bunch of different attempts could only partially seat the Timbren lip. I ended up grease lubing the Timbren, sandwiching the puck between the frame and Timbren, lowering the rear side down again, and doing about 20 semi jumps in the back of the Van. There was no "pop" sound into place... I just had to constanty look under to see how it was seating. In hindsight, ratcheting down the timbren as much as possible before lowering on the puck might have helped to keep the Timbren centered.

Going for a drive there was a noticeable difference in stiffness, even unloaded. This was noticeable on acceleration, turning and going over speedbumps. It's hard to put a number on the increased stiffness as I haven't hit any turns at highway speeds, but in city driving my wife didn't notice. I guess I would approximate 30% stiffer in the rear. Overall I'm satsified.
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Did you order from the website or from a local dealer? How much did you end up paying?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes, okay time for some Timbrens lol.

On our recent road trip we had the 3rd row seats down as usual and packed to the rim...
View attachment 158582

The etrailer ones are rated at only 2,000 lbs despite them looking identical to the Timrens. Currently $225.40

The Timrens are rated at 3,500 lbs. Currently $265.18

Might as well just get the Timbrens with the higher rating eh?
They are the same part. Same retail price. Etrailer just discounts them a little. This is from Etrailers Q&A " T26FR is our part number for this kit. Timbren's manufacturer part number for this kit is HRDD5G"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed these last week. Ordered from Etrailer. Total with sales tax and shipping to California was $265.39.

I used a large floor jack and two jack stands in my driveway. The strap around the tire method for removing the factory stops was super fast. Putting the Timbrens in with the straps/windex took a little more finessing. The straps tend to squish the stops to one side, so I started with the Timbrens tilted a little away so the straps would pull them straight as I ratcheted. After the car was on the jack stands the process took less than 15 minutes.

Went camping the next day with the car fully loaded. There is less sway on the turns, but the ride is not overly stiff. I would definitely recommend.

The amateur engineer side of my brain is a little skeptical about whether there will be negative side effects. The spring & shock are mounted on the lower arm, the bump stop goes on the upper arm (these are two separate arms). With weight in the car the upper arm will be doing a lot more work than it was design to. I woudn't be surprised if, in 3 years from now, I found out there were some worn washers/bushings/out of allignment suspension due to using these. That's above my paygrade though.
IMG_2507.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
They are the same part. Same retail price. Etrailer just discounts them a little. This is from Etrailers Q&A " T26FR is our part number for this kit. Timbren's manufacturer part number for this kit is HRDD5G"
Oh are they? 🤔 Huh... what threw me off was the weight limits being very different between the two. I thought the etrailer one was a knock off of the Timbrens - However...

From etrailer's site I can see Timbren written everywhere so you're right.. they are Timbrens with an etrailer sticker slapped on it eh?

The etrailer ones are rated at only 2,000 lbs despite them looking identical to the Timrens. Currently $225.40

How come etrailer only quotes 2,000 lbs? That's a bit odd...

I just installed these last week. Ordered from Etrailer. Total with sales tax and shipping to California was $265.39.

I used a large floor jack and two jack stands in my driveway. The strap around the tire method for removing the factory stops was super fast. Putting the Timbrens in with the straps/windex took a little more finessing. The straps tend to squish the stops to one side, so I started with the Timbrens tilted a little away so the straps would pull them straight as I ratcheted. After the car was on the jack stands the process took less than 15 minutes.

Went camping the next day with the car fully loaded. There is less sway on the turns, but the ride is not overly stiff. I would definitely recommend.

The amateur engineer side of my brain is a little skeptical about whether there will be negative side effects. The spring & shock are mounted on the lower arm, the bump stop goes on the upper arm (these are two separate arms). With weight in the car the upper arm will be doing a lot more work than it was design to. I woudn't be surprised if, in 3 years from now, I found out there were some worn washers/bushings/out of allignment suspension due to using these. That's above my paygrade though.
View attachment 158863 View attachment 158864 View attachment 158865 View attachment 158866 View attachment 158867 View attachment 158868 View attachment 158869
Thanks for posting the pics! At one point I was also curious about any potential negative effects down the line, after all the Odys frame is pretty weak (vans in general) so who knows. The benefits outweigh the what if's so in my books it's well worth it and I don't think it will pose any issues, realistically. Only time will tell.

By the way nice jack stands... they're the amazon ones yes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Did you order from the website or from a local dealer? How much did you end up paying?
I order directly from Timbren for $290 Cad as we're both located in Canada

After driving a bit more I'm definitely noticing the stiffness on rougher roads, even unloaded. I do still wish there was a stiffer spring/same height option as I still have my reservations about repurposing the bumpstops, but I don't see that coming to the market at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh are they? 🤔 Huh... what threw me off was the weight limits being very different between the two. I thought the etrailer one was a knock off of the Timbrens - However...

From etrailer's site I can see Timbren written everywhere so you're right.. they are Timbrens with an etrailer sticker slapped on it eh?

How come etrailer only quotes 2,000 lbs? That's a bit odd...

Thanks for posting the pics! At one point I was also curious about any potential negative effects down the line, after all the Odys frame is pretty weak (vans in general) so who knows. The benefits outweigh the what if's so in my books it's well worth it and I don't think it will pose any issues, realistically. Only time will tell.

By the way nice jack stands... they're the amazon ones yes?
Yes, the jack stands are from Amazon.

The weight rating thing is odd, but they came in a Timbren box, and there's no way Timbren makes a different version that only sells through etrailer.

If I was hauling that much stuff more than a few times a year I think it would be time to get a vehicle with a single rear axle (an SUV or Pickup) so it would be easier to install more appropriate springs/shocks and the tires wouldn't toe-in when the car is loaded up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, the jack stands are from Amazon.

The weight rating thing is odd, but they came in a Timbren box, and there's no way Timbren makes a different version that only sells through etrailer.

If I was hauling that much stuff more than a few times a year I think it would be time to get a vehicle with a single rear axle (an SUV or Pickup) so it would be easier to install more appropriate springs/shocks and the tires wouldn't toe-in when the car is loaded up.
Thanks for confirming, I agree if it came in a Timbren box then that seals the deal. (y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello all, just did this on my brand new 2021 ody. Used the strap method to remove and the hockey puck to get new ones on. It was a bit tough given that it is 30 degrees with a snowy driveway but it’s done. I wasn’t sure the ones seated right but they seem to be, although I can turn them a little by hand. Will give it a test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hello all, just did this on my brand new 2021 ody. Used the strap method to remove and the hockey puck to get new ones on. It was a bit tough given that it is 30 degrees with a snowy driveway but it’s done. I wasn’t sure the ones seated right but they did,a Lehigh I can turn them a little by hand. Will give it a test drive tomorrow.
Yup. I can turn them a little by hand as well. But once they're snapped in, they won't come out from there. 🙂

Reactions: Bkh1996

·
Registered
2018 Odyssey LX White Pearl
1 Posts
I bought a set today from etrailer.com for $244.00 with tax and free shipping. Because my wife and child got car sick on the latest road trip. I hope this will alleviate sag and body roll.

Thanks for the information guys!!

·
Vendor
3 Posts
Awesome thread! Great to see you all utilizing our SES system and finding the ease of install. How has everyone's Odyssey's been performing since the upgrade?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts