Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - new to me 2011 Odyssey w/ 110k miles, well taken care of but kinda bouncy, sooooo... time for a shock discussion. I was on Rock Auto and there were several no name brands (FCS, PRT, Ultra-Power), then KYB and Monroe. I am familiar with KYB and Monroe and likely trust KYB the most. Does anyone have any recommendation as to your experience. I should also consider OEM but at 2x the cost seems a bit high.

I have researched here regarding KYB not making rear shocks, but now it appears they do produce them.

Any input? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
KYB always made rear shocks for this vehicle.

whats happening is they are not selling complete front strut assemblies, which makes changing the struts more of a PITA, as you have to buy all the components separately and then move the stock spring over from the old assembly.

this is why many go with the monroe quick strut, however those are poor quality and last <5 years in my experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, thanks, I am perfectly OK using spring compressors so it sounds like KYB is best for me.

Secondly, are there any other items I should order as well (bushings, spring seats, etc...)?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I did the OEM Honda assembly & rear shocks at 135K. At 245K I balked at the price of OEM and did KYB's. No regrets other then not greasing the strut bearing. I run KYB's on a Lexus & Corvette also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Monroe back in the day made great shocks, but not so much anymore. I've always enjoyed KYB shocks. High quality and long laster for all the cars I've had in the past. I'm about to put KYB on my 2011 Touring, so you're making the right choice.

·
Registered
2013 Ody Pimp Edition
91 Posts
Good to know that this is a common issue at about the mileage I'm at (145K). Guess my driving style finally blew the shocks out at all 4 corners. Do y'all think 1700 for parts and labor (going with KYB) is about right?

This thing now rides like a [email protected]^*ing ostrich and is going to get me killed if I don't do something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah but like, what strut mount do I use instead?
Ha, yeah that would be good to know. I assume Honda strut mounts are the only reliable option. If I'm wrong... love to hear what others recommend too.

I still need to price the difference between OEM loaded assemblies vs. KYB + OEM mounts. If it's close enough the time and effort may not be worth the money saved (for me) using KYB's. (ps. not asking anyone to price it for me, just being transparent that I have not checked $)

·
Registered
2013 Ody Pimp Edition
91 Posts
Ha, yeah that would be good to know. I assume Honda strut mounts are the only reliable option. If I'm wrong... love to hear what others recommend too.

I still need to price the difference between OEM loaded assemblies vs. KYB + OEM mounts. If it's close enough the time and effort may not be worth the money saved (for me) using KYB's. (ps. not asking anyone to price it for me, just being transparent that I have not checked $)
Right, and if I'm gonna just buy the KYB struts, and the Honda mounts, what other parts do I need to complete the assembly and re-use the factory springs up front?

Cuz if that's the way to go I'm gonna need to find a different mechanic that will put on parts I brought them. The guys that quoted me 1700 are a chain that wont even change oil and a filter that you brought yourself.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
58 Posts
Right, and if I'm gonna just buy the KYB struts, and the Honda mounts, what other parts do I need to complete the assembly and re-use the factory springs up front?

Cuz if that's the way to go I'm gonna need to find a different mechanic that will put on parts I brought them. The guys that quoted me 1700 are a chain that wont even change oil and a filter that you brought yourself.
I just ordered KYB shocks for the rear from rockauto (don't forget the 5% off discount they have here). Planning to order loaded OEM strut assemblies next. If they are unavailable I will order KYB struts + OEM components and figure it out.

Looks like ~$200 of savings ($100 per side) to buy KYB struts and replace all of the OEM components. If you are paying someone else to install them, you will narrow the gap between loaded OEM struts + KYB struts w/OEM components. Note - I assumed spring seats, mounts, boots, EVERYTHING needs to be replaced when I added up these numbers from Bernardi's website. Additional note that you have a '13 which has different front strut parts than my early model '12.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts