Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called!! My Ody was built early and is on its way here!! Yippe!! Goodbye cabin fever hello freedom.

Now, where the heck did I put that loan check?? :confused And how in the world do I drive an automatic (I've always had stick)

·
Registered
478 Posts
We rejoice with you!! What color/model do you have? You're gonna love it!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LogansMom:
Now, where the heck did I put that loan check?? And how in the world do I drive an automatic (I've always had stick)</font>
Congrats!!!!!!!

I'm sure your dealer would be happy to go along on a drive while you get used to the auto........but not if you don't find that loan check! <:-0

[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 10-29-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
Woohoo! Wonderful feeling eh?

Ours is due Friday.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And how in the world do I drive an automatic (I've always had stick)</font>
exact opposite problem for me, how the heck do I drive stick! Can't drive one to save my life. No offense, but it's great fun for the passengers to watch the driver instinctly bolt for the imaginary clutch and shifter. And there's been a few times when the driver panics for a split second!

At least I think it's funny...I've never been able to go solo in a stick shift more than 5 miles away from home, so I don't know what it's like to be used to it. And the time I went officially 'solo' I destroyed the clutch. I drove it once after that and then saved up for an automatic (I love my auto!).

Anyway, enjoy your new Odyssey!

Michelle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My ody is here!!! But I still can't find that loan check and the site draft I requested isn't here, yet (postal system has become soo slow due to the anthrax ordeal.)
The dealer said I could pick it up today if I left a personal check with them for the amount of the vehicle. Ha Ha Ha. Talk about bad taste in mouth. That would have been in addition to the fax that USAA was willing to send to them verifying the loan. USAA strongly suggested I not do the personal check thing. I have to agree... what if some idiot accidently attempted to cash it??? I won't write the check. I'll wait. What is a few more days?? Besides an eternity. It's my own stupid fault. Oh well..Life goes on.

P

·
0 Posts
Hope you're able to get it soon! I wouldn't do the personal check thing either, who knows what will happen to it.

I'm amazed at you patience. My parents picked up the Ody last night and those few hours I was at home waiting were awful!

Michelle

------------------
  • 2002 RP EXL-RES
  • 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe
  • 1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 11-03-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
The rule is that wherever my brother goes, it goes (he's three). So that most likely means that my step dad will be putting the miles on it, with my mom or I driving it about twice a week (depends on where we're going). It's the car we'll use whenever we go somewhere as a family. I'm sure I can sweet talk them into letting me take it for short hops on the weekend.

I've driven it three times since last night (about 2 miles at a time over the hill to grandma's house) and I really like it. My mom, the lady who said it's "just a van", is in love.

And we'll always have a very clean windsheild, both my mom and I have tried to shift with the wiper controls. Did you run into this problem?

Michelle

------------------
  • 2002 RRP EXL-RES
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 11-03-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">me take it for short hops on the weekend.

I've driven it three times since last night And we'll always have a very clean windsheild, both my mom and I have tried to shift with the wiper controls. Did you run into this problem?

Michelle

[/B]</font>
I am glad I am not the only one! My husband and I have both done that! AS you say we will always have a clean windshield! I have driven a Jeep Cherokee for the last 6 years and the shifter is on the center console. It is going to take some time to get used to the ody!
Congratulations on the new van. I hope your family is as happy as we are! It may just be a minivan, but I know a lot of other people who would be ecstatic to own one!
Sandee
ps We now have almost 300 miles on ours in less than a week! I drive about 40 miles a day! Glad we got the extended warranty!

------------------
'02 RRP EXL-RES
'93 GRAND CHEROKEE LTD
'01 YAMAHA RAPTOR
'96 YAMAHA BANSHEE
'88 SUZUKI 500

·
Registered
130 Posts
You just think it will take long. Actually, one day and you're in. Problems result when you have two cars with different mechanisms. The human mind is a glorious instrument: I was given a loaner for one--mind you, ONE--day, and it had a different shifting procedure. By the end of the first day, my "ingrained" shifter mode was obliterated in favor of the newbie. Don't worry about a thing: by the end of the new day, you'll be acting like a veteran.

And who hasn't washed the windshield at least twice before shifting it out?

P

·
0 Posts
Yep! I've tried to shift the Ody in the middle every time I've driven it. Kind of funny grabbing for nothing! All of our other cars shift in the middle (even the Toyota van) so we're all used to that. I actually prefer the shifter in the middle-I like things to be 'centrally located'.

But I still find it entertaining to watch 'manual' brained people drive auto, especially when there's nothing to hold on to in the middle of the car! (I should talk, I destroyed a clutch and gave up manual).

We have something like 56 miles on it, and it had 1 when my step dad test drove it. Also take into consideration the dealer is 45 minutes away.

I'm in love with this van.

Michelle

------------------
  • 2002 RRP EXL-RES
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
And who hasn't washed the windshield at least twice before shifting it out? </font>
Oh, you mean I don't have to wash the windows every time I use the directional signals?

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally have my gg 2002 ex l in my hot little hands and am very happy with it.
Almost didn't get it last night due to the dealership not willing to use my checkcard to obtain the down payment. Luckily, I had a spare check in my wallet. I don't carry cash or checks (easier to cancel credit cards if stolen). They were not willing to pay the fee for a large amount of money to use the creditcard machine. How petty is that!!!! They only withdrew 2k instead of the much larger amount I had wanted them to withdraw. Now if this 2k ends up getting paid for by mastercard (MC is having a holiday incentive: the more you use an mc card the better the chance you can have a transaction paid for) then I will be upset because I made arrangements to allow for them to withdraw a higher amount from my bank. I think Honda dealerships no matter how wonderful your experence is they just have to do something to ruin it for you. It's the Honda way. FYI my sales rep was wonderful. Their card policy stunk. Can they legally do that?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Logansmom, That seems to be standard practice in the industry. The maximun I could put on my credit card was $2000. I believe the credit card fees are quite high (5%). That's $1500 on a $30000 van.
If I had my way I would have put the whole Ody on the card.

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LogansMom:
Can they legally do that?</font>
Yes, unfortunately. In fact, they can refuse to take credit cards entirely and, I believe, even charge you a fee for using the card provided the fee is fully disclosed prior to the sale.

But, it's not a Honda thing. When I ordered a Suburban a few years ago, the Chevy dealer flatly refused to take my credit card for a lousy $500 deposit; he insisted I write a check or pay cash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well then, my apologies to all dealerships out there... honda in particular. I'm glad they at least used my card for a portion of it. I still don't think it's fair though. Whaa.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to VISA/Mastercard training (they are the same) as part of e-commerce training at work.

The trainer said that if they take VISA/MC, and want to continue to take it, they are not allowed to charge any additional fee on purchases using the cards vs. cash/check. It is a violation of their agreement w/ VISA/MC and can result in their losing processing priveledges.

This does not mean they have to accept the card to begin with... but if they do, they can't charge you more for using it.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

1 - 20 of 27 Posts