Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '97 since March 2007. Have kept it going thanks to this site and my own stubbornness. But I think I hit the wall on this one.

The car is in California now, but lived most of its life in Ohio. Rust everywhere. Brake fluid was leaking out of the steel lines where they connect to the rear proportioning valve, at about 2 oz a day, so it was a critical fix. Got the lines and valve from a specialized yard in Sacramento, $80, perfect shape.

Getting the brake lines out of this car is so much harder than any car I've ever seen in my life. Of course most of the plastic clips are brittle and broke, that's to be expected. But it feels like they put the brake lines on the bare body, then built the rest of every *%##[email protected] system on top of them. The fuel lines have to be disconnected. There is one plastic clip hidden up on top of the fuel filler neck that I finally just yanked out far enough to bust off. Everything is totally rotten, and I finally just ripped the old lines out, they were rotten anyway. But now I realize I'll probably have to drop the fuel tank so I can remove the filler neck so I can get the new ones in. Unless I cut the new lines and make a flare coupling (I know, no compression couplings!).

Has anybody ever done this job? Any tricks? Should I even bother, given the constant other problems (oil leaks, front suspension parts, etc)?
Ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Akron too. Haven't had to do this yet, but did it with other vehicles. Its pretty common to have to fight them going in, especially when you are dealing with pre-bent lines. You should be able to gently bend them to fit roughly in the chassis. Chances aren't good that you'll be able to use all the retaining clips again. As long as they are secure and out of the way of hazards, you'll be good. You could always do the cut, flare, and union trick but its a pain and just another place to leak.

On second hand, don't fix it at all...I think its time to scrap it. Does it have any good parts? :DD

Dave.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could always do the cut, flare, and union trick but its a pain and just another place to leak.

On second hand, don't fix it at all...I think its time to scrap it. Does it have any good parts? :DD

Dave.
I just joined the Ody club and I too this week have a leak in the rear brakes. I am set up to get cut next week and hope to get some more time out of my original 1998...252k. Changed oil with valvoline at 108K and they put a bad filter in so with persistence they dropped a 32K engine into it, so really how many miles do I have in it? Any suggestions on how to get a backup vehicle and what would you recommend. Boy I love this car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed.

Had to cut the new lines and make flare couplings. Major pain, but she lives!
210k. Right-hand CV makes noise in parking lots. Oil leak on right side of engine, 1 quart/week. Runs great! Paid for!:coolio:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts