Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Ody only has 59k on the odo but the dealer is recommending timing belt replacement because the van has been in service 8 years. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Honda service specs are to replace at 106k or seven years which ever comes first. I only have 55k miles on mine but it is going to get replaced this summer. You will get many answers about how long they left theirs over the limit but you have to decide if you want to risk the destroyed engine. A broken belt in the Honda while driving will destroy the valves and pistons.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to replace the water pump too? I've noticed a lot of people saying that it is recommended when the timing belt is done. My dealer seems to always have a coupon going for timing belt service. It currently says that for $390 that they will replacing the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and coolant.

·
Registered
530 Posts
390?? thats a great deal!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
$390 for parts and labor? At a Honda dealer? Are you sure?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would replace the belt and the water pump. I've been religiously doing timing belts at 60K miles on all of my Mitsubishis along with the pumps - not because the belts, but mainly because the pumps tend to fail between 60K-90K (there are some that have lasted much longer (120K-180K). If the pump seizes, it can easily take out the timing belt. If you're lucky (as I have been - TWICE!), the belt lets loose at the perfect moment and nothing gets bent inside. Unlucky snaps (like the paperweight in my garage) results in significant damage.

Mitsubishi has a 105K service interval, but 60K for states like CA where the emissions police rule with an iron fist, so 60K is by no means too soon.

The pump should always be replaced at the same time as the belt on the J-series engine as it's tucked behind the belt. Inevitably, the belt gets replaced, the old pump stays in, the old pump fails and you get to do/pay the timing belt labor all over again. With the belt out of the way, it's 5 bolts and the cost of the pump on top of the T-belt job - cheap insurance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd wait, but that's just me. Odyssey belts can go well over 150K miles, but I say just play it safe and go by mileage, unless you live in conditions that rot rubber and plastic parts. There is a reason you never hear about odyssey timing belts breaking.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow, $390 for TB, WP, drive belts is a hot deal.
I wish I were near your dealership.
At your mileage 59K miles and 7 years, I don't think you van needs new TB, WP, drive belts service just yet.
Of course, it is your money and your call.

My Accord was on the original TB, WP and drive belts for 12 years w/o any issue.
I just had the dealer change them at 88K miles b/c of a dealer's coupon and b/c it has been 12 years so maybe it is time.
Here is the breakdown:
$280 for TB only (regular price $400) but of course nobody would replace the TB alone and the dealer knows that.
So, to replace WP and 2 drive belts would push total cost to a little less than $650 + tax.

My 1999 Sienna's had a new TB, WP, serpentine belt in 2010 at 91K miles.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
How does the price jump from 280 to 650 if you add WP and 2 drive belts??? Even if you replace tensioner and idler pulley, that jump is still too high.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
How does the price jump from 280 to 650 if you add WP and 2 drive belts??? Even if you replace tensioner and idler pulley, that jump is still too high.
Because you are paying retail prices plus markup for parts at the dealer, not mail order prices.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like they are giving a loss leader on just the belt and making up for it when you add the pump and belts. Of course, if you do this yourself, all the parts are about $130 or so?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My stealership told me that my serpentine belt was starting to look worn (100,000 miles) and they said that the condition of the timing belt is usually the same as the serp belt. I had it replaced at a different place and they said it was not bad. unless you are a good diy'er i would strongly recommend changing the water pump at the same time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looks like they are giving a loss leader on just the belt and making up for it when you add the pump and belts. Of course, if you do this yourself, all the parts are about $130 or so?
You're exactly right. They reeled me in w/ the TB then counted on me to also replace the WP and 2 drive belts.
Actually, it was only $600, but they also pointed out the old valve cover gasket was leaking (true) and charged $50 extra to install a new gasket. As part of the TB removal, the valve cover had to be removed and re-installed so labor for the gasket should be zero. clearly they had a big markup on the gasket (and TB, WP, seals, belts)
If the old gasket wasn't leaking, I wonder if they would they reuse it and not charge me the extra $50 ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Valve covers aren't removed when replacing timing belts, so there would have been extra labor involved. Unless they were also checking the valve lash, then they would have had the valve covers off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Op, I changed my 2002 timing belt this last summer with 89K. Based on my experience you can *probably* wait 2 years. DCH Kay Honda - Eatontown, NJ just sent me a coupon for a 6cyl Timing belt/Water pump change for $595. it says to go to www.serviceoffers.honda.com to subscribe for coupons.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honda - Eatontown, NJ just sent me a coupon for a 6cyl Timing belt/Water pump change for $595. it says to go to www.serviceoffers.honda.com to subscribe for coupons.
The local Honda dealer I have used has a similar "special" for $699 for TB and WP change on 6 cyl. I concur with the 7 year time limit TB belt change if you haven't yet reached the 105K mileage interval. And better to git ‘er dun than to risk damaging your engine!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Why would you take the chance of a leak by reusing an old gasket?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts