Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using the info here to change my belt I was removing the cover bolts and on my 04 the belt tensioner came loose, I turned the crank and lost the position. I saw the #s and marks on the front pulley it is near #3 the rear pulleys mark is on the bottom.
I have the Crank gear arrow at TDC I did not rotate the crank, is there a way to manualy make my cams and crank line up? I am used to marks on the wheels or a jig for the cams to lock together.
I admit I have lost my sight since my last job and now I have my glasses on my fault . Its been a while, I remember my love of taking on this job (right). I dont have the money to pay construction is dead my wife needs her car, any ideas? I allways do my own work. Counting teeth counter clockwise but how do I know where my cams need to be? Ugg, at least I broke the crank bolt loose.
I see the rear cam has a slash mark on the face, the front has #s and slash marks. If I rotate the whole thing and reinstall the tensioner get the crank to TDC and hope the came hits #1 and the mark lines up in the rear with the housing marks?
Will the manual overide the pain as you go method? I am beyond the easy method. Any advice is appreciated. I messed up by mistaking the tensioner bolts for the cover bolts.
Kirk, :huh: If I have to get a factory manual I will, I know ther are the best here who could steer me correctly.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,918 Posts
Careful on the pulley marks - there are two sets:
1. numbers (1-6) and big marks (lines) on the cam pulleys (both front and back). These are to be used only when the cam pulley covers are in place and you pull out the rubber plug. You can check the alignment of those big marks with the mark on the cam pulley cover in the opening where the rubber plug was removed from.
2. little ticks right on the edge of the cam pulley, where the pulley teeth are. They are to be aligned with the mark on the Aluminum cam shaft cover, behind the pulley. This set of marks is to be used when the cam pulley covers are removed.

When I did my timing belt replacement at 105k miles, following the service manual step by step, but not aware of this ambiguity, I mistakenly aligned the big pulley mark (from option 1 above) with the cam cover mark (from option 2). It was about 1/2 a tooth off, and of course I went the wrong way, so I ended up being 1 full tooth off. This resulted in very rough running and several misfire codes until I figured it out by re-reading the instructions until I noticed that there were two sets of marks. I was able to shift it one tooth pretty easily and it then ran perfectly.

So that's another point - you have to get the teeth perfectly aligned. Being off by just one tooth will make it run badly. You'll know.

Third point is that it is an interference engine so you have to be careful when rotating the cam and crank pulleys independently of one another. If you feel an obstruction, don't force it.

Good luck with the repair. I used the service manual, but you might be able to find detailed user instructions on the web somewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thank you, I will look for notches.I am 180 deg off

I just am confused the pulley has a yellow dot on the face no other marks, except drill holes, I used that as a pointer to the arrow on the lower cover. I pulled the pulley off and there is a o and a arrow on the gear pointing to the case arrow? Is the Arrow TDC on the gear? It appears I am off one revolution as #3 is at the top? on the front cam.It looks like the rear pulley has a single line on the face facing down. It looks like I have to turn the motor over to tdc#1 reinstall the belt and hope it is not way off. I will use a wrench with the plugs out and any sign of resistance i will stop I have to be a tdc#1 to do anything.
I used the guide here and it, in principle is good, a warning is due to the tensioner bolts and the timing cover, they are so close. I know I am not the first to make this mistake. I am glad someove responded, it is sleepy here and yes I usually find answers without posting, lots of good folks here with a wealth of Oddy Knowledge.

Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,918 Posts
PM me if you want me to email full TB instructions (I found them - did not use them, since I followed the manual, but these have color photos, which are often useful - saving it for the 210k change).

Here's a photo from those instructions, which I edited to highlight the marks (the yellow and red lines are from me - not on the actual parts). That looks just like mine. Your description sounds different.

The yellow-highlighted marks are useful only when the cam pulley cover is in place and you look through the view port.

With the cam pulley cover off, you align the pulley by lining up the (short red line) tick mark on the cam housing with the little tick marks (long red lines [two are shown here, but there are 6 of them]) right on the edge of the cam pulley.

At first glance, it might look like you should line up the yellow cam pulley marks with the red cam housing mark, but as I found out, that is wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is looking to me like since I mistakenly removed the tensioner while removing the lower cover I am way off. I put in the new belt and tensioned it with a screwdriver and it hit a valve. I was slow and easy, no paint marks a arrow on the crank gear tells me I am TDC somewhere I may as well pull the cams up und turn the motor to #1TDC spin the cams close to where they need to be and hope I get it right. I am waiting on a manual, What stroke will it be on? Big Bummer, I am grateful for the help, I have a PHD in the School of Hard Knocks.
I could slowly crank the cam sprockets with the crank shaft to get it to TDC on 1 ? Bad idea?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks tried that but never got to paint

I unbolted the tensioner thinking the lower housing nuts were there. I totally lost any placement. Valves hit the pistons (lightly). No marks. I may have to pull the cam shafts. As long as that sending unit down there at the crank. has no #1 id to it? Uggh! Nightmare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NOTE: This article applies ’98–07 Accord V6s,
’99–07 Odysseys, ’03–07 Pilots, and ’06–07
Ridgelines.

Always turn the crankshaft in its normal
direction of rotation when you’re removing and
installing the torque converter bolts. If you turn it
in the other direction, you can cause the timing
belt to jump time, which throws off the camshaft
timing. This causes low power, poor fuel
economy, and a host of other problems.
With our current crop of Honda V6 engines, you
always turn the crankshaft clockwise as seen
from the crank pulley end. If, however, you’re not
sure which direction to turn the crankshaft, just
refer to the valve clearance adjustment procedure
in the Engine Mechanical section of the applicable
S/M.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Honda of Modesto CA Parts department !

I went to the parts department and told him I threw off the timing teeth and needed guidance on points the factory uses in the manual? he said special order but let me help, he printed off the whole timing install procedure from the Factory for me at no charge, what a good guy! . I have to unbolt the Rocker Arm assembly's tunrn the motor, rotate the cams to TDC #1 marks ont the cam pulleys given to me by a fellow member here and yes the Arrow on the Crankshaft Gear it is TDC, I am 360 deg out, pulling the rockers is a must not the Torque Converter? I lost Crank/Cam timing, I starting blind with no paint marks here. I talked to the dealers shop guy and they use the same sequence when you loose your marks. Now if I knew the clearances between valves I could adjust the valves since the covers are off. My next search for my 04. Intake and exhaust adjustments will be done. Looking at the roller rockers this is a full on racing motor in a Mini Van.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will add, torque converter bolts removed sounds like a Audi T Belt, they sold a locking tool for tdc at the Trans along with pulley lock set and tools made just for the V6 2.8.
You also have to remove the front end of the car, lots of fun.
I set the factory marks tonight wish me luck I am going to fire it up tomorrow, all looks excellent a #1 intake stroke is perfect. All new pulleys and water pump. Valve adjustment is coming soon. I need my work truck back and the wife wants her Van. I rotated 6 times and it is perfectly lined up with a square on the pulleys and the dash marks provided for timing. I looked at the old belt and it was good at 120K, Most everything else will go now. I am hoping for 200K out of the trans but I am a not to positive even after the oiler repair in the trans.
Nightmare Will be over tomorrow after a weekend of family Bday partys.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looking at SM for my 2003 - Specs for the valve clearance adjustment are:

Intake: 0.20-0.24mm (0.008-0.009in.)
Exhaust: 0.28-0.32mm (0.011-0.013in.)

1) Set#1 to TDC. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 1 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

2) Then rotate crankshaft Clockwise. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 4 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

3) Then rotate crankshaft Clockwise. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 2 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

4) Then rotate crankshaft Clockwise. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 5 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

5) Then rotate crankshaft Clockwise. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 3 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

6) Then rotate crankshaft Clockwise. Align pointer (A) on the front upper cover with the no. 6 piston TDC mark (B) on the front camshaft pulley. Check and adjust if necessary.

7) Install cylinder head covers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the Valve adjustment info, I will be doing that after I get it roadworthy and all the parts are back in place. I probably should have removed the end air intake plenum on the rear to get the valve cover easier, on but didn't mess with it. No room back there for gorilla hands. I am sore this morning from re-installing the rocker assemblys and the covers. I dont swear much but I did throw a few fine words out when I busted my knuckles. It helps when it hurts, for me.
Be back to finish out this thread for the Blind Timing Belt installation with Good News.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sucess !! Thanks for helping a blind Dad get it done.

:)I am so glad the first crank of the motor sounded so sweet I did not cry. Sore yes, I have a loud power steering pump now, air in the system. I will hope it bleeds off the air.
I also heard that if the water pump was replaced I have to purge the system? I did not get any burps but the heater work good and the fans kick on. Both hoses pressurize when I rev the motor and the temp sensor is 1/3 up. I put in new coolant as I took out. I may have to much in the reservour.
I took it to my wifes work and it Ran like a rocket, she drives slow I punched it and it shifted firmly and moved like it should at WOT. I will give it a oil change and drain the trans again to keep fluids fresh.;)
If I need to know somthing about the coolant bleeding let me know, same with the power steering.

2004 EXL DK Blue Metalic
2001 Silverado Z71
1977 Chev Silverado trailer special, 4x4 Short Bed , I have owned for 20 years, work horse.
2003 Suzuki DR650
1979 Suzuki GS 1000L Superbike of it's day. I restore old Suzuki's, I love the GT550's and GT380's of yester year, 3 cyl two stroke street bikes, got one let me know if you will sell it cheap. Even the GT750 Suzuki's or Water Buffalo's

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to fix it. :joy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts