Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The maintenance schedule says yes.

The mechanics I call seem to think I'm crazy to be worrying about it now.

Are folks here just much more careful about maintenance than the average Ody owner?

Is it time for me to part with my cash now or not?

(I've also gotten completely contradictory info on which parts to replace while going in there -- some do the tensioner but not the water pump, others the reverse...)

Charlie

·
Registered
664 Posts
Has your van spent time in dry weather or has it spent most of its life in humid areas?

If dry area, yea I'd get it replaced along with the water pump, bearings, etc.

If its been in a humid area, wait another year or two before replacing. Just replace the coolant now.

Belts tend to dry out and crack in dry environments and if you lived in death valley I'd have replaced it at 5 years. In humid areas near water they'll usually last well beyond the manufacture cycle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If humidity wasn't invented in DC, it sure is popular here.

The mechanics I've talked to tend to say things like "I've taken them off at xx miles from an 02 and they still looked good to me." Kind of an interesting approach, given that you usually can't really see the difference between a belt that's good and one that's close to failure...

Locals near me want $700-1000 for the job, the dealer $1,600.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yea, I'd probably not do anything other than the fluids (brake, power steering, and coolant) at this time. May be a good time to make the switch over to synthetics while yer at it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would let it go for another year. After that, it depends on how long you plan to keep the van. If more than another 2 years, change it then, get some miles from the new one, and enjoy the peace of mind knowing that it's done.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am pondering this same question as we are one year away from the 7 year mark. Based on our current mileage (54k), we should be at 63k next year. 63k just seems too early for a timing belt replacement. I will probably take the decision year by year as we weigh that maintenance investment against remaining length of ownership. Based on our climate (not arid) and mileage, 10 years or 105k is starting to not sound like such a stretch.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
my 03 has almost 75K miles on it and t belt has never been done. i'll get it done when i hit 80K or when the tranny blows up - whichever comes first :stupid:

LMAO.......I got 43K on mine......I am prety sure it will be gone before I ever get a TB done.......Or the tranny will blow up:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 03 Odyssey has just over 28K miles at 7+ years. I was just at the dealer this AM with a SRS light on issue and they recommeded that I have the tining belt, weater pump, cam seals done at this time. I told them I would wait. I was going to go for 40K miles or 10 years. It is pretty humid here in the DFW, Texas area but also real hot. Any advice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
gedgell said:
My 03 Odyssey has just over 28K miles at 7+ years. I was just at the dealer this AM with a SRS light on issue and they recommeded that I have the tining belt, weater pump, cam seals done at this time. I told them I would wait. I was going to go for 40K miles or 10 years. It is pretty humid here in the DFW, Texas area but also real hot. Any advice?
If you don't mind me asking, what was the SRS light issue and what did they charge you to fix it? I also have a 2003 and the dealer wants $470 to replace the SRS module.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I like the 10 years or 105,000 miles (whichever comes first) interval too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The SRS light was intermittant. The are replacing a faulty drivers side seat belt switch for free. Part No. 04813-S0X-A05ZA - Buckle SE 81400. The price is $98.01 but the system is warrantied for the life of the vehicle so no charge. Is your part not covered by that SRS warranty?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My van is way out of warranty at 95K miles. I don't believe there is a separate SRS warranty.

I would like to do the repair myself as it is not difficult to replace an SRS module, however the OPDS sensor needs to be calibrated with a Honda tool that I don't have access to.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The seatbelt and buckles are warrantied for life but unfortunately the rest of the SRS is not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts