Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the van 3 years ago and did the heads and the timing belt, NEW EVERYTHING. Valves Water Pump all the belts and adjusters. Had about 140k on it now 167k. Was driving a week ago and I heard a noise and lost all power I KNEW WHAT HAPPENED THIS TIME!. Coasted in a parking lot put it in park and called the tow truck. Told the tow truck driver what happened and not to start it. Gave him the keys and he crakes it for 15 seconds what the ^@^$&!! Took it to the mechanic and again bent valves. Mechanic said that the valves were the reason the belt broke again.
馃Would you get used heads or a used engine. Its a J35A7 with the With Variable Cylinder System.
Also kept throwing serpentine belts till the crankshaft pully was changed and that was 1000 miles after the first timing belt.(if anyone knows that matters) THANKS YA'LL

Registered
Look a few more threads down for "van died" thread.

What timing belt kit did you use? If you bought and used some "genuine Honda" timing belt kit from ebay or Amazon then you installed counterfeit timing belts, that's why they snapped.

Registered
Here are my guesses:

The last timing belt kit installed 3 yeas ago was not Aisin or genuine Honda; or it might have been counterfeit timing belt parts from Amazon or Ebay. Sadly, very common. This is most likely why it failed again after 25,000 miles. So, please tell us the brand of parts installed and where you got them from.

The bent valves from the first belt failure should have been fixed along with all the other engine damage caused by a failed timing belt. Sounds like you did all this 3 years ago, right?

I do not see how bent valves could cause timing belt failure. It's the other way around: timing belt failure causes bent valves,

You have the VCM engine and therefore need to muzzle (disable) the VCM function to prevent major engine damage. (But this has nothing to do with timing belt failure.)

It's ridiculous that your tow truck driver cranked the engine knowing the timing belt failed.

Registered
Also kept throwing serpentine belts till the crankshaft pully was changed and that was 1000 miles after the first timing belt.
Sorry to hear of your second bout with a broken timing belt.

Crankshaft pulley failure does happen on Gen 3 Ody's. But it wouldn't affect the TB.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the help. I got most the parts at O'reily and usually when I have a choice I use Gates but cannot say for sure. Don't get me started on the tow truck driver!!! In this situation I know now to but the OEM belt and I did read about the temp sensor trick and was thinking of using my own resistors if ya'll have ever heard of someone doing it successfully that would be great! The next immediate ? is would you get used heads or just a used engine? Labor is about the same either way it's just at least $400 difference in parts.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
You could use your own resistors, but that provides you less control over the system. Really any of the resistor solutions don't have full advantages. The best option is one of the microcontroller solutions like the VCM Tuner II or the S-VCM, as they never need adjustment.

As for the timing belt, rather than getting it from parts stores, I'd just get the Aisin kit from RockAuto. Parts that are identical to OEM.

Regarding engine vs heads, I'd try to find heads just because if you get a whole used engine, you don't know how VCM has affected that engine, whereas your own engine, you know exactly how VCM has affected it, and the top end is not usually affected by it as much.

Registered
+1 for Aisin kit from RockAuto or OEM from dealer. Any other source and your experience is fairly well documented.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Wii master ty. I agree with the heads after looking into the inventory out there. Just in case I really just want to tinker with it. Is there are recommended oms you would recommend. I read 80 and do you know of a diagram/instructions somewhere?

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Wii master ty. I agree with the heads after looking into the inventory out there. Just in case I really just want to tinker with it. Is there are recommended oms you would recommend. I read 80 and do you know of a diagram/instructions somewhere?
The resistor amount is climate dependent, which is why the resistor based solutions allow you to tune the resistance with a dial or manually swapping out resistors. Too low resistance will cause VCM to still kick in because the temperature isn't low enough. Too high resistance will cause a CEL.

Registered
Already answered! :)
The best option is one of the microcontroller solutions like the VCM Tuner II or the S-VCM, as they never need adjustment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts