Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and thank you all for all the great write ups.

We had an error code on the cam position sensor in January 2020, when I looked at the location, I knew we would need to change the the water pump too to access this part along with the belts. I purchased the parts (cam position sensor from AutoZone) and water pump kit from Ebay (big effing mistake), my friend who is a great mechanic help me change it out and it was done in 6-7 hours.

Fast forward to Sunday 10/11, while driving on the Wantagh State Parkway at 60mph, the car stalled while I was cruising. I pulled over and thought it was the alternator as I just bought a new battery 3 weeks ago. I called a tow truck to pickup the car and brought it back to a local mechanic, here what they are telling me.

1. Need TB and tensioner, TB is broken
2. Replace water pump and flush coolant out
2. Right side motor mound needs replacement

They also said since the TB was broken at 60mph, there is no guarantee the car will be fine/idle correctly and that the valves and pistons could be damaged. I have read numerous threads from this forum about the TB being broken and 99% chance the valves are damaged and will need to be repaired.

I am totally torn, as I bought this car used in 2011 with only 67k on it, and we only drive this vehicle with the kids on road trips. I only drove this for 60k in 9 years.

He said for him to repair the above, the cost is $1,600.00

Questions:
a. What are the chances that I repair the above and the car will be fine?
b. What would be the additional cost if I need to repair the valves?
c. Sounds like it would be cheaper to replace the entire motor, but you could not find an engine with less than 180k.

I am concern this will be a money pit. Please give me your thoughts on what the cost will be for valves repairing? Is it even worth it? Has anyone gone through this?
I am located in Nassau County in New York and would like to get this fixed, however, with the car being 13 years old, I'm thinking it might be time to move on.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
What a shame. Too bad inferior junk parts were installed including a junk timing belt. There is a 100% chance you have bent valves and other catastrophic engine damage. It’s probably not worth fixing as it would be several thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a shame. Too bad inferior junk parts were installed including a junk timing belt. There is a 100% chance you have bent valves and other catastrophic engine damage. It’s probably not worth fixing as it would be several thousands of dollars.
I am torn on this, I would have never thought this would happen. My wife says its not worth it, but this car has sentimental value to me. It ashame this car has to be junked, the car body was in good condition for its age and it was rarely driven.

If I spend the $1600, how much are valves going to cost?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
What’s sad is the proper timing belt kit which includes a new water pump is the Aisin kit and it only costs about $160. Labor would be about $500-600. Unfortunately it’s too late now. The timing belt kit you bought on eBay was likely counterfeit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am torn on this, I would have never thought this would happen. My wife says its not worth it, but this car has sentimental value to me. It ashame this car has to be junked, the car body was in good condition for its age and it was rarely driven.

The engine "could" be salvaged but, you would need to take the heads off and look at all your valves, piston heads, cylinder walls, camshafts etc. These are interference engines and a belt breaking can lead to engine failure. Something you need to do also is drop your oil pan to see if there is any other damage based on what is in the oil. Metal shavings in the oil means you messed up alot more than just the valves, than you need to look at your crank and bearings. Alot of things cam get messed up just from this one thing. What you need to do is assess the condition of the motor BEFORE you spend the 1600 because if you need more than valves you might as well swap for a junk yard one and put a new timing belt on that and transfer good parts.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am a new member and thank you all for all the great write ups.

We had an error code on the cam position sensor in January 2020, when I looked at the location, I knew we would need to change the the water pump too to access this part along with the belts. I purchased the parts (cam position sensor from AutoZone) and water pump kit from Ebay (big effing mistake), my friend who is a great mechanic help me change it out and it was done in 6-7 hours.

Fast forward to Sunday 10/11, while driving on the Wantagh State Parkway at 60mph, the car stalled while I was cruising. I pulled over and thought it was the alternator as I just bought a new battery 3 weeks ago. I called a tow truck to pickup the car and brought it back to a local mechanic, here what they are telling me.

1. Need TB and tensioner, TB is broken
2. Replace water pump and flush coolant out
2. Right side motor mound needs replacement

They also said since the TB was broken at 60mph, there is no guarantee the car will be fine/idle correctly and that the valves and pistons could be damaged. I have read numerous threads from this forum about the TB being broken and 99% chance the valves are damaged and will need to be repaired.

I am totally torn, as I bought this car used in 2011 with only 67k on it, and we only drive this vehicle with the kids on road trips. I only drove this for 60k in 9 years.

He said for him to repair the above, the cost is $1,600.00

Questions:
a. What are the chances that I repair the above and the car will be fine?
b. What would be the additional cost if I need to repair the valves?
c. Sounds like it would be cheaper to replace the entire motor, but you could not find an engine with less than 180k.

I am concern this will be a money pit. Please give me your thoughts on what the cost will be for valves repairing? Is it even worth it? Has anyone gone through this?
I am located in Nassau County in New York and would like to get this fixed, however, with the car being 13 years old, I'm thinking it might be time to move on. View attachment 158270
Honestly if it comes to be that, you only have bent valves you might as well take it to a machine shop to repair the heads and reseat ALL the valves, more costly but, you save the original heads and valves except for whichever ones are bent which they will verify all of them. You can also just buy a new head but, not all heads are created equal. A used head would be better but, the valves would need to be looked at and checked and all that.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
158 Posts
As I repeatedly said, people selling fake Genuine Honda Timing Belt kits on eBay/Amazon should be jailed....
You are very likely to have bent valves. You can:
1) Take a chance putting everything back, do a compression test to see if you have valve damage.
2) Take the heads off, examine internal damage, if any. You can send the heads to a machine shop to rebuild it. Usually $200 per head. If you need to cut seats, replace guides, that would cause more. Or you can buy reman heads.

It sucks. It's gonna be expensive if you are not able to DIY.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I guess it really comes down to what it's worth to you. If the numbers make sense (when someone is able to give you some idea) I'd personally do it for your mileage, it's going to be hard to find something similar.

@John Clark

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts
You almost certainly have bent valves, and mentioned above. You will need a new engine or an engine rebuild. Are low mileage junkyard engines that hard to find?

I think it is still worthwhile to fix. If you fix the valves and pistons for a few thousand, and the car lasts you a few more years (which it absolutely should), that's still cheaper than the depreciation of a newer car.

Don't spend the $1600 hoping it will run perfectly, though, because it won't.

My vote would be to look for a junkyard engine with low miles. It would be much easier to put a new timing belt/water pump on the new engine before it goes into the car. Ask your mechanic, since he might know where to get a good used engine. Ask what it would cost to put in a used engine with around 100K miles vs. rebuilding your current one.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts

If the van is in good condition and isn't burning oil, rebuild or replace the heads. Look for set of used heads locally.

You have the upgraded 07-10 odyssey transmission, which are very robust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shop said the cost to find a good used motor would cost around $2k + any seals that need to be replaced. With the engine in sight, you can change out the water pump and any other items at cost. The labor to install the motor would cost another $2k. I would estimate the total cost to be around $4k-$5k to have this done. But with a used motor, you wont know what you're going to get, junk yard will say one thing, until you get it and install it, you won't know. I am curious to know if anyone has repaired their valves when it was damaged due to broken TB? And what that cost would be to repair valves? Would you rather install a used engine or go with repairing the original engine? Cause it seems like the cost maybe the same. Appreciate your help guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another questions would be: how good is the transmission on this vehicle? I've read alot of comments on the transmission failing, and if that happens, it will be sad. One of my friends just called and said his buddy had the Odyssey 2005 EX with 160k and the tranny failed. He junked it last year.

I'm thing to go for it as I need this car to last 5 more years, and with us driver very little, it should last. But the problem is the damage done now.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
758 Posts
Another questions would be: how good is the transmission on this vehicle? I've read alot of comments on the transmission failing, and if that happens, it will be sad. One of my friends just called and said his buddy had the Odyssey 2005 EX with 160k and the tranny failed. He junked it last year.

I'm thing to go for it as I need this car to last 5 more years, and with us driver very little, it should last. But the problem is the damage done now.
As was said earlier in the thread, the 05-06 have a different transmission to the 07-10s, with the latter supposedly being better (I say supposedly because I really don't believe the 05-06 ones are all that bad as long as they aren't neglected) as it is taken from the Ridgeline.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts

The transmission was changed starting in 2007 and should be very robust. Most people can get 200K+ out of it with no problems. Personal opinion is that this is a much better transmission than previous years, although the older transmission did hold up OK if serviced regularly.

Have you changed the transmission fluid on yours? If not, how is the condition of the fluid that is currently in the transmission?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the valves are bent, then what is the one thing that bent them? The pistons, and those need to be inspected as well, as others have said. If the pistons are damaged, then the rods, bearings, etc. could be compromised as well. So now you have a 13 year old vehicle with over 125K miles and it needs major engine repair.

Sentimental value? It's a machine, it gets us from point A to point B in comfort (hopefully), and economically (well, it used to). Think rationally, not emotionally. Yes, some get sentimental about their vehicles, but when it starts clouding our judgement it's time to step back and a good hard look at what is really going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The transmission was changed starting in 2007 and should be very robust. Most people can get 200K+ out of it with no problems. Personal opinion is that this is a much better transmission than previous years, although the older transmission did hold up OK if serviced regularly.

Have you changed the transmission fluid on yours? If not, how is the condition of the fluid that is currently in the transmission?
fluids changed regularly with oil change at jiffy lube. no issues

·
Registered
607 Posts
Did you tried car-part.com for a used engine? If not available locally, find one may be like within 200 miles range with low mileage. If it is too expensive, get rid of this van and get another one. It is not worth it. Since you have EX-L model with the VCM engine, it may not be worth it to fix it. This VCM have its own issues.

Arcadia Auto Parts is a local place for me found from car-part.com. Engine with 85K, $1450. Get one like this, replace the belt and all before putting it in (use the kit from RockAuto - Aisin) and it should be good. If not muzzled, do it to disable the VCM.

Yes.. those sellers should be banned from eBay and Amazon. Selling all fake parts. I got burned once with the spark plug. Don't know why Honda is not doing anything about it for faking their name.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts