Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know the moral implications.

I'm thinking of selling in two months, but have 109,000 miles now.

Opinions on how likely the timing belt is to go?

Is there an easy way to check it that can reliable detect a problem?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I changed mine myself at 112000 miles and the belt was in pristine condition. Looked just like the new one. There is a hole in the timing belt cover with a removable rubber plug for checking the position of the timing mark on each camshaft sprocket. If you can get your hands on a borescope you should be able to see the belt through that hole and inspect for cracks. Otherwise, just disclose to the buyer that it has not been replaced. They will likely ask anyway unless they are braindead.

·
Registered
539 Posts
+1 on the above.

Disclose to the seller that it will need to be done and price accordingly. I woundn't put a penny more into a car that I'm trying to sell than I absolutely have to (although I have done so many times, grrr). You are much better off trying to sell at a lower price as-is than thinking that you'll get your $1K back when you sell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When you open it up to change the timing belt, there are several other things that should be done at the same time - water pump, cam shaft seals, tensioner, etc. The total bill is realistically going to be around $2,000 + or -. I fully agree with Redmond, don't put another dime in it.

I just did my grandson's 2000 Accord and that was about the cost. He has about 85,000 on it, but it is now 11 years old. Belt looked almost new, but it has to last him at least another 3 years until he is out of grad school. So, it was sort of now or later. In this case, now was the safe option.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I changed mine myself at 112000 miles and the belt was in pristine condition. Looked just like the new one. There is a hole in the timing belt cover with a removable rubber plug for checking the position of the timing mark on each camshaft sprocket. If you can get your hands on a borescope you should be able to see the belt through that hole and inspect for cracks. Otherwise, just disclose to the buyer that it has not been replaced. They will likely ask anyway unless they are braindead.
Yes, I've heard this a lot, the belt usually looks pretty good. I traded my '02 at 112000, still had the original belt. Dealer said it didn't matter, doing the service wouldn't add value to the van.

+1 on the above.

Disclose to the seller that it will need to be done and price accordingly. I woundn't put a penny more into a car that I'm trying to sell than I absolutely have to (although I have done so many times, grrr). You are much better off trying to sell at a lower price as-is than thinking that you'll get your $1K back when you sell.
That's the reason I traded it, not worth spending any more money on a vehicle worth $4000-$5000 and I had the original trans. Great vehicle, no complaints at this point any major maintenance would come out of my pocket. I'd rather put a few grand towards a down payment vice a new tranny.

When you open it up to change the timing belt, there are several other things that should be done at the same time - water pump, cam shaft seals, tensioner, etc. The total bill is realistically going to be around $2,000 + or -. I fully agree with Redmond, don't put another dime in it.

I just did my grandson's 2000 Accord and that was about the cost. He has about 85,000 on it, but it is now 11 years old. Belt looked almost new, but it has to last him at least another 3 years until he is out of grad school. So, it was sort of now or later. In this case, now was the safe option.
I got two quotes before I decide to trade, $1000-$1200 for the service would be a more realistic figure.

Price it at what you feel comfortable at and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
When you open it up to change the timing belt, there are several other things that should be done at the same time - water pump, cam shaft seals, tensioner, etc. The total bill is realistically going to be around $2,000 + or -.
I had the timing belt, water pump & tensioner replaced by my Honda dealer for under $850 IIRC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess everything costs more in CA. If you just change the belt, it would be a less. Shop rates here are close to $100 per hour, even at the independent shops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a local head remanufacturing company that will do all of the above for $550.

i want to know if it will break before I sell it?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I have a local head remanufacturing company that will do all of the above for $550.

i want to know if it will break before I sell it?
There have been very few reports of broken timing belts in these vans. Personally, as others have recommended, I would just roll the dice and then tell prospective buyers that the TB has not yet been replaced.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My mechanic says he has almost never seen one break. Usually they fail by losing a tooth or two and go from there until the timing slips and that is what does the damage.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a friend who is a mechanic and worked for a Honda dealer for awhile. He had never seen one break. The only thing he saw was a tbelt tensioner go that caused serious damage.

I say don't change it unless you plan on keeping it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
No, never heard of one breaking either. I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fuel economy sux compared to the diesel mercedes we have, but I think this vehicle will be most reliable.

How likely is the belt slippage, tensioner failure to happen since I have 109k miles?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
The fuel economy sux compared to the diesel mercedes we have, but I think this vehicle will be most reliable.

How likely is the belt slippage, tensioner failure to happen since I have 109k miles?
Slim to none in the next two months, unless you are planning a road trip to Cali. Drive it then trade it. Even better, why not trade now and save the worry?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would I trade it for. This is the nice car of the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had this done on my 2004 Ody. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, seals, outer belts, coolant ==> $1100. Should be good for another 100K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Belt

Yes I know the moral implications.

I'm thinking of selling in two months, but have 109,000 miles now.

Opinions on how likely the timing belt is to go?

Is there an easy way to check it that can reliable detect a problem?

Don't bother if you are going to trade it in. If you plan to sell it privately, disclose it (but check the consumer protection laws in your state for requirements) and discount accordingly.

I just had my '03 Ody done at 110K by independent shop, but plan to keep it for a while. Timing Belt, tensioners, drive belts, Honda water pump and Honda antifreeze for $700 including 6.25% sales tax on parts. Dealer quoted ~ $1100.
Unlikely that it will break in 2 months of normal driving with the weather warming up - but you never know. I drove my Plymouth w/ Mitsu engine 60K past the recommended replacement mileage w/out any problems. Wasn't worth doing on a vehicle worth $800 - got totalled anyway.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
What would I trade it for. This is the nice car of the two.
I would take an Ody over a Benz too. I understood from your first post that you plan to trade it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 02 Oddyssey, changed the belt, water pump and tensioner at 186,000 miles. The tensioner needed to be changed but the belt was in good condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had this done on my 2004 Ody. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, seals, outer belts, coolant ==> $1100. Should be good for another 100K miles.
I hope you dont live in NJ. THere is a timing belt special going on at Hamilton Honda for $389 + tax (includes, water pump, all drive belts, free car wash, free wiper inserts and oil change). Tensioner is $75 extra if needed. Search slickdeals.net for honda timing belt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts