Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the whole video below, you can replace any Honda Acura V6 timing belt all by yourself.
It is not difficult as people appear to make it. Just be mindful of what you're doing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you! Great approach to a timing belt DYI video. This video makes it so much easier to understand about replacing a timing belt. Now, I have enough knowledge to understand the other timing belt replacement videos or the forum on some of the intents and issues that were discussed.

How tough is this to work from the side with limited access?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Ah yes, the timing belt job when engine is out of the vehicle. Access is key.

First suggestion: Mark the belt and sprocket at each sprocket. Then transfer the marks to the new belt and realign the marks going back on. This makes it nearly impossible to get the belt one tooth off when going back together.

Second suggestion: when removing the hydraulic tensioner bolts, remove the bottom bolt completely first, leaving the top bolt tight. Then remove the top bolt. This allows the tensioner to pivot without putting stress on the threads of the aluminum engine block/oil pump cover.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Great approach to a timing belt DYI video. This video makes it so much easier to understand about replacing a timing belt. Now, I have enough knowledge to understand the other timing belt replacement videos or the forum on some of the intents and issues that were discussed.

How tough is this to work from the side with limited access?

Thanks again.
Clear access once the ECU and other components are removed. Video on accessing the timing belt on the van coming soon.

Wanted to post this video to clearly show what goes on during the timing belt replacement. Filming this in the van is useless as you can't see things clearly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Look at 1a autos video that was my reference when i did mine they did it on a pilot. Odyssey was just a hair diff . But it was a great reference video .they do the t belt with the engine in car . Not out . I bout my asin t belt kit through Amazon. Also ordered the lyle 19mm weighted socket made for crank bolt it took off the 1st time for me . Also i read on here that someone started there engine after t belt job with out the crank pulley on and had a devastating effect from it . DO NOT DO THAT. you can hand spin that is sufficient enough. It took me about 4hr to do it . Goodluck to all be patient and take pics if u need to or watch video while u do the job i did and it helped a ton.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Would you recommend taking the spark plugs out to ease the pressure in the cylinder to easily get to TDC and to avoid any push back or slight rotation off TDC?

For the various bolts especially the tensioner bolts, idler pullet bolt and the tensioner pullet bolt, would you recommend adding threalocker like Loctite red 263 or blue 243? Water pump bolts if recommended?

Thanks,

·
Registered
779 Posts
When I did mine I used a combination of videos and a diy manual that is around here, shared by another member. I still have it in my garage for the next timing. If you are doing it for the first time, preparation is key. Before I did mine and read the manual, saw videos, went to the engine bay and started to see where everything was, got all the tools need. And thanks God everything went well. I did try to rotate the engine manually before putting everything bay, and it went smoothly.

Reactions: elsabw

·
Registered
779 Posts
Would you recommend taking the spark plugs out to ease the pressure in the cylinder to easily get to TDC and to avoid any push back or slight rotation off TDC?

For the various bolts especially the tensioner bolts, idler pullet bolt and the tensioner pullet bolt, would you recommend adding threalocker like Loctite red 263 or blue 243? Water pump bolts if recommended?

Thanks,
You don't have to remove the spark plugs. When I did mine maybe because I had to rotate it a few times to get it TDC maybe the pressure was already gone; and following the repair manual I use the blue loctide for all the screws that need it.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks,
Not really needed but it does make it easier. If you need to change them, then take them out. If not, up to you.

I would use blue threadlocker or replace the bolts as the shop manual says.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
The only bolt that needs thread locker is the idler pulley bolt. If you buy a new one it comes with the thread locker on it. The rest of the bolts (side engine mount bolts, idler & tensioner pulleys) are actually supposed to be replaced. I used to replace them but now I just put them back in. I've never used any thread locker on any of the bolts. I do properly torque them, however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
👍.. i second not using loctite.properly torquing bolts is all that is needed . Plus if you keep van long enough to have to do it again u will probably be saying to your self why did i use loctite.lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
The engine is due for a plug change about the same time as the timing belt so I just went ahead and did em.
Check your serpentine belt tensioner pulleys, the bearing in one of mine was dry and starting to chatter. A grease needle serviced that nicely and saves alot of hassle later.

·
Registered
779 Posts
A user here long ago posted up a 36 page tutorial with pics. I printed it up in its entirety it was dead on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You should always remove the spark plugs during timing belt change, they are supposed to be change anyway at the same time. Then you aren't dealing with resistance from compression making you think you've done something wrong and when you get to TDC#1, it's less likely to skip right over, the rear cam is also less likely to jump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After watching the whole video below, you can replace any Honda Acura V6 timing belt all by yourself.
It is not difficult as people appear to make it. Just be mindful of what you're doing.
I'm a firm believer in Dirty Harry's advice: "A man (or woman) must know their limitations."
I have neither the ability, the tools, the desire or the place to work on my Odyssey. I know my limitations.
My timing belt and everything else associated with it will be done by a certified mechanic who I trust.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Good decision. Just make sure you buy the Aisin kit on Rock Auto ($200) and have your mechanic install that. Don’t let him buy the parts unless he assures you they are Aisin kit parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most difficult part is the removal of the crankshaft bolt. You will probably need the heavy special socket. Like the one I have to purchase!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've not done the belt on my Honda, I still have about 15k miles before I need to do it. I have done belts on other cars. Lining up the timing marks is not difficult and pretty much anyone who can follow directions and can that. The part that makes the job difficult is working in tight spaces and getting the crank bolt loose. I did the timing belt on my inlaws Acura TL with the inline 5 cylinder engine. It took me about a week with the car in the driveway to figure out a way to get that bolt off. I also broke the pulley. Once I figured out how to get the pulley bolt off, the rest was straight forward.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Most difficult part is the removal of the crankshaft bolt. You will probably need the heavy special socket. Like the one I have to purchase!
@Willy G. Get the Milwaukee 2767-20 + lesly socket and in 5 seconds that bolt is out, not sweat, all your teeth but $300 less in ur pocket... but hey you are saving 1k+ in a timing belt job.

Reactions: thscott
1 - 20 of 26 Posts