Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005. My dealer says that timing belts should be changed between 60-80k (of course he has a monetary reason to say that). I would wait until it goes but I have a long 2800 mile drive ahead of me (round trip) and I am wondering if it's really necessary to change it before I leave or not? I do live in a hot sate - Florida. I don't know if heat causes them to wear faster or not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are you towing anything heavy ?
If not, at 105 K miles, you replace timing belt, spark plugs, serpentine belt. Maybe replace water pump too if you want peace of mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing belt change necessary at 81,000

Thanks for the reply. No I am not towing anything.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
105K is correct for miles, so you are good to go. The TB also has a life of 7 years, so you should plan to replace it next year or the year after if you don't reach 105K by then. (These are all conservative numbers - don't panic if you exceed them by a small amount.) And, yes, high heat does reduce its life.

PS: Find another dealer for your service.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was three months away from changing the timing belt and water pump on our '02 Odyssey but ended up selling and replacing with a new '11 Odyssey. We made it almost nine years and 75k miles so I think you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts