Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Odyssey and the last time I took it for an oil change they told me that I needed to change timing belt--but I generally follow the schedule of the maintenance minder--so I don't know if it came up already and I didn't notice and it got reset with the oil change or if it never told me to do it yet. Can anyone tell me at how many miles the maintenance minder informed to change timing belt? The mechanic told me the code showed up but I think he was lying and reset it before I could check. I don't want to take chances but I also don't want to change it before it is recommended as I may get a new car in the next year or two. I have about 105,000 miles on it now. Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
105K is the official (exact mileage) Honda states for timing belt change if you live in non-extreme weather areas. It usually pop up way before 105K miles and together with other maintenance like oil change, filter change etc. If you are the original owner and have never had it changed before, it is due now.

Well, actually you are a few years overdue if you are an original owner. Hence, it is either time in service or mileage whichever comes first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know everyone says 105,000 but does anyone know where that is stated. It does not state in manual and if you call Honda they just tell you to follow maintenance minder--so just curious where that number comes from?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I know everyone says 105,000 but does anyone know where that is stated. It does not state in manual and if you call Honda they just tell you to follow maintenance minder--so just curious where that number comes from?
It should be in your owner manual. I think i found it in the Honda repair manual.

·
Registered
580 Posts
One of my friend have 2008 EX model. At 115K, it showed the code for coolant change and he did it at Firestone. Still original Timing belt. May be 120k now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a 2006 Odyssey and the last time I took it for an oil change they told me that I needed to change timing belt--but I generally follow the schedule of the maintenance minder--so I don't know if it came up already and I didn't notice and it got reset with the oil change or if it never told me to do it yet. Can anyone tell me at how many miles the maintenance minder informed to change timing belt? The mechanic told me the code showed up but I think he was lying and reset it before I could check. I don't want to take chances but I also don't want to change it before it is recommended as I may get a new car in the next year or two. I have about 105,000 miles on it now. Thanks.
Your mechanic isn't lying.

My code for the timing belt showed up with other service items with the first service after 100K miles. My service records show I changed the oil around 102K miles and then had the timing belt changed a few hundred miles later.

Unless you are going to sell it very soon, change the belt. If the belt breaks the engine is trash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BertS--The reason I was skeptical was cause I was pretty sure I checked the codes before I took the car in--I should have taken a photo--but then the mechanic at the dealership said it was showing code 4 but he had reset it before I could verify. I guess I am just going to change it--not worth the stress of worrying about it and although I have alternate vehicles for long distance--I do need my minivan--it has been an insane beast--we are building a house and I have lugged tile, lumber, and tons of other stuff to the jobsite and without the seats it can fit almost anything. Others have posted that the code did not show up for over 150,000 miles--I wish the manual would just give an average change out date by years or mileage--but that is not anywhere in the manual. There should also be a way to check back what codes came up at what mileage--in case someone does not know if a code came up and got reset without the service being done.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The maintenance minder is not very accurate or reliable in my opinion. It’s more of a gimmick. Maintenance should be based on actual mileage and service life. The timing belt needs to be changed every 105,000 miles or every 7-8 years. Regardless of the maintenance minder. Get the Aisin kit. Nothing else will be any good. Less than $200 on Rock Auto

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks BertS--The reason I was skeptical was cause I was pretty sure I checked the codes before I took the car in--I should have taken a photo--but then the mechanic at the dealership said it was showing code 4 but he had reset it before I could verify. I guess I am just going to change it--not worth the stress of worrying about it and although I have alternate vehicles for long distance--I do need my minivan--it has been an insane beast--we are building a house and I have lugged tile, lumber, and tons of other stuff to the jobsite and without the seats it can fit almost anything. Others have posted that the code did not show up for over 150,000 miles--I wish the manual would just give an average change out date by years or mileage--but that is not anywhere in the manual. There should also be a way to check back what codes came up at what mileage--in case someone does not know if a code came up and got reset without the service being done.
I've never heard of the code showing up that late. As stated above, for me the code came up around 102K miles and my Odyssey was 9 years old.

Whether it came up on your maintenance minder at this point doesn't matter - the service is overdue. Especially since the belt and other items like the water pump are 14 years old, the risk of a problem with the timing belt is pretty high, and the cost if it happens is very high as well. You'll be replacing the engine or buying a replacement vehicle while getting almost nothing for the Odyssey if you roll the dice and lose.

I agree it would be nice if they had maintenance schedule printed in the manual or ability to look back. I know there is a way to look at what items are coming up prior to when they are displayed on the dash - I've had oil changes done early (was going to be needed in the middle of a long road trip otherwise) and they were able to pull up the codes for other upcoming services due with this oil change as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
According to the Gates Replacement Manual, the change interval is 100k miles and it IS an interference engine. The water pump is also driven off the timing belt so make sure you change that as well when you do the belt (some folks don't).

It's normally not the belt that fails, but either the tensioner or the water pump that seizes and then snaps the belt.

And with the Ody engine being an INTERFERENCE ENGINE, if you go over the change interval and the belt breaks you will end up replacing the engine - not cheap!!!! Best to not go there!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts