Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally did the job. I made a tool to hold the crankshaft. it fits into the crank pulley like the factory tool but much heavier. I also made a giant breaker bar by welding a impact socket to pipe. the handle is 7' long and I had to put some weight into it. I am near Sacramento in Nevada city if anyone wants' to use them.
I changed the crank and cam seals. No issues except holding the cam pulley to take off the bolt. Picture of my solution attached.
I was apprehensive about compressing the tensioner but it was uneventful. Make sure you glue in the seals on the timing belt covers-they will want to fall out as they are maneuvered into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello Tony:

I am planning on doing the timing belt this weekend. I would like to change the cam seals and the crank seals. I am planning on loosing the cam sprockets before I remove the belt and then take them off after I remove the belt.

I few questions for you: Did the camshafts rotate when you pulled the sprockets off and if so was it easy to rotate them back? Also, how did you get the seals out? Did you use a screw driver or a pick? And how did you reinstall them?

Thank you

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, the "shade tree" method for getting the crank bolt loose is to use a breaker bar and socket with the bar braced against the subframe while somebody bumps the starter. It works! My mechanic loosened it this way for me. I used the crank holder and a torque wrench to reinstall it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts