Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Tuesday I was driving home from work in my '98. I started to hear a light banging sound coming from the engine compartment, so I immediately pulled off the road. Opening the hood I found the drive belts were starting to come loose?! I was only a couple miles from home so I decided to cut the a/c and alternator belt off thinking there could be a problem with one of those systems. I tried starting the car only to hear the banging louder, so it was shut down immediately. After towing the car home I found the crank pulley bolt had backed out quite a bit.

When I bought the car it was stated that the belts were changed or had appeared to have been changed, so I hadn't addressed them in the 70k miles or so of driving. Just to note, I had not done any recent belt changes or made any adjustments.

Turns out that the car probably had the original belt and water pump from the looks of it. So a word of caution. Never trust any sellers word regarding service of a vehicle. Unless they can provide it in writing, assume the service has not been done!

I ended up spending about $300 in parts from Rockauto.com, the local Honda dealer, and NAPA.

Everything on the drive side was replaced including the cam seal, crank seal, oil pump seal, tensioner pulleys, water pump, and belts. In addition I replaced the cap/rotor/wires/plugs. BTW I had mentioned in another post that aftermarket rotors were not as good as the factory unit. Napa sells the same type as factory.

Because I had never done a t-belt on a Honda with the balance shaft, I searched and found this video which is pretty detailed.

Other than the driver's side engine mount the video is quite accurate. The only detail that was lacking is the balance shaft alignment is done with pulling a 12mm nut and locking the shaft with either a long bolt or screwdriver.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Wow, so I take it your valves are alright?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the engine was saved. The balancer was loose and rocking around. The timing belt is behind the balancer and countershaft pulleys. Thank goodness the cotter key was still in place. None of the belts were broken or moved places on the pulleys.

I just got back from her maiden voyage after the servicing. It runs out fine, but there is additional vibration that wasn't there prior to service. I suspect that I didn't get the countershaft alignment spot on. I'll have to report later on what I find.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out the front balance shaft was one measly tooth off. Ishould have it buttoned up tonight. Word of warning: the lower timing cover is not easy to remove or re install!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks for the update and sorry you had to tear back into it. Any pics?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not this time. I just finally finished up. All in all I spent more than 15 hours just getting it together.. I wasn't about to stop for pictures. Now I need to tackle a valve adjustment. Shes been a bit noisy for a while now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not this time. I just finally finished up. All in all I spent more than 15 hours just getting it together.. I wasn't about to stop for pictures. Now I need to tackle a valve adjustment. Shes been a bit noisy for a while now.
:) thats good that you decided to do it your self .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts