Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing all the belts on a '97 Oasis. And fixing a bunch of oil leaks. I want to replace the front main seal, but the timing belt sprocket won't come off of the crank. It should just pull off, right? I do see a little bit of rust around there. Any tricks for getting it off? Can't really get a puller on it. Gently prying between the oil pump and sprocket hasn't moved it. No luck grabbing it with channel locks either. Don't worry, I used the old belt to protect the sprocket. I don't want to use a torch on it with the crank sensors so close. Gotta get this van back together for a Thanksgiving trip!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just spray wd-40 and bang it with a rubber mallet :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already sprayed it twice with Liquid Wrench and gently tapped on it with a real hammer. I don't think my rubber mallet will even fit in there! Maybe I'll try a brass drift or something so I can hit it harder. It's just not fair! Why would the timing belt be oily and the end of the crank be rusty? My oil leaks are in all the wrong places!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've already sprayed it twice with Liquid Wrench and gently tapped on it with a real hammer. I don't think my rubber mallet will even fit in there! Maybe I'll try a brass drift or something so I can hit it harder. It's just not fair! Why would the timing belt be oily and the end of the crank be rusty? My oil leaks are in all the wrong places!
lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! I removed the crank sensors, heated the sprocket with my MAPP gas torch and wedged a prybar between the oil pump housing and the sprocket's belt guide. Like most car parts I remove in New York, it came out smoking! :D

Looks like that seal wasn't even leaking....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts