Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the beginning stages of collecting parts to change the t-belt and water pump this fall on my (new to me) 2005 EXL with 99k. My first question is, is there any honda special tools needed to do this job? I am an ASE tech and have plenty of Volvo special tools, but wasn't sure if I needed any Honda tools to do this job.

Also, is there anything unusual about this job? I've done a bunch of 4cyl Honda t-belts, and they are as straightforward as they come. Is there anything I need to be aware of when I dive into this job?

Finally, I prefer OEM parts. Know of any websites to buy OEM parts cheaper than a dealer?

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated. This forum is priceless for my and my new used van!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the beginning stages of collecting parts to change the t-belt and water pump this fall on my (new to me) 2005 EXL with 99k. My first question is, is there any honda special tools needed to do this job? I am an ASE tech and have plenty of Volvo special tools, but wasn't sure if I needed any Honda tools to do this job.

Also, is there anything unusual about this job? I've done a bunch of 4cyl Honda t-belts, and they are as straightforward as they come. Is there anything I need to be aware of when I dive into this job?

Finally, I prefer OEM parts. Know of any websites to buy OEM parts cheaper than a dealer?

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated. This forum is priceless for my and my new used van!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Asin not sure if spelt correct but there apparently the best for t belt and water pump kits

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Most people here go with the Aisin timing belt kit. It is high quality and OEM equivalent. $180 on Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
161 Posts
I only use Genuine Honda parts for almost everything on my Honda and Acura.
I order from Genuine Honda OEM Parts and Accessories | HondaPartsGuys.com | Honda Parts Guys. It's actually the online parts department of a large brick and mortar super Honda dealer. Never walk in to buy parts from them as they will charge you full list price.

You will need a crank pulley holder as others pointed out.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,407 Posts
I would certainly hope OP figured all this out by now, 8.5 years later.

·
Registered
972 Posts
BlueCivic, you dont really need the pulley holder, if you are going to use heavy impact socket..
Also, if I remember correctly, this socket for Ody is 19mm, not 22mm.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
161 Posts
BlueCivic, you dont really need the pulley holder, if you are going to use heavy impact socket..
Also, if I remember correctly, this socket for Ody is 19mm, not 22mm.
It's convenient to have it to properly torque it back, the initial torque + 60 degree sequence.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's convenient to have it to properly torque it back, the initial torque + 60 degree sequence.
Milwaukee impact does it just fine )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go with OEM all that way, AISIN timing belt kit is hit or miss even if you get it from reputable places (such as rockauto), I have having an issue with AISIN kit water pump making gargling sound, not happy about it, ordered the OEM parts from majestic honda online dealer, it is on its way..
let see what happens.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can see how to make the 60 degree turn using an impact. I'm curios how you apply the initial torque (47lb??) without something holding the pulley? Do you somehow jam the pulley?
I use marker on the bolt and the pulley, before taking it off.. Same with the TB and sprockets, marker helps a lot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Volvotech, I once did a timing belt on my father’s 2001 Volvo V40....I remember having a hard time getting the tensioner just right....good old days...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts