Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We have a 2003 Odyssey with 102K miles on it. I was wondering if the timing belt is due. I don't have any records of it being replaced so I think it is the original belt.

Also is it an interference engine?

Do you recommend gates belts for the timing belt or Honda?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Use the Search function, and you will find some great threads on timing belts (when to replace based on severe or normal usage spec'd in your owner's manual).

Gates (United States) makes fine belts. So does ContiTech (German). Just installed one of the Conti belt sets on our 1998 Accord, along with new tensioners (timing belt and balance shaft), new balance shaft belt, new water pump, etc.

Welcome to the club.

OF

Edited for: added items I changed on the Accord VTEC I4

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Timing belt is due 7 years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. Some have gone beyond this limit but this is an interference engine and has the potential for major engine damage if the belt fails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Parts Needed

I am thinking of diving into the replacement of the timing belt myself and was wanting to find out exactly what parts I need to order and if I should replace the auto tensioner as well as the timing belt, water pump, etc....Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Oh, my Ody is a 2001 EX w/o NAV. Thanks:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the best place to get the parts for the timing belt job Gates/ Conti ?

I am going to change the timing belt on our 2003 Ody. I read Gates or Contitech belts are the best.
Where is a good place to order the parts for this job?

I want to replace the tensioner assembly also.

Do you guys get the waterpump at the dealership or ?. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where to buy crankshaft holding socket for timing belt change?

Where do you guys get the crankshaft holding socket?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Merged all three of your Timing Belt posts. You can even rent one (I think its actually free) at some of the auto parts stores. Give a deposit, take the tool. Use it and return it for your deposit money back. Ask Autozone or Advance Auto. One of 'em definitely loans out tools.

As to where to get the parts. Most on here just get OEM Honda parts online as they're much cheaper than at the local dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the tool called at Auto Zone. 50mm locking socket?

Do you mean Majestic Honda Parts or ?. Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I (like most people here) used the 'starter motor trick' to loosen the bolt, but you will need the pulley holder to tighten it back.

I bought the one listed at denlorstools.com. Just Google 'honda crank pulley holding tool'. You will use a 1/2" drive breaker bar to hold it.

As a bonus, it's the right size to push in a new crankshaft oil seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts