Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Just bought a 2011 Odyssey EX-L with 112,000 on it. Excellent condition but the seller hadn't replaced timing belt as he knew he would be selling it soon. This is a silly question, but I can't find the answer.

After installing belt, most instructions/manuals say the engine should be rotated 6 times clockwise, then recheck timing mark alignment on crank and cam gears. I'm guessing that means clockwise as I'm standing at the R fender looking at the engine, correct?

I'm sure this has been asked, but when I search all I get are a bunch of threads talking about how hard it is to get the crank bolt loose.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,921 Posts
Yes, definitely clockwise rotations. And there is nothing magic about 6 times. The point is to make sure it stays in time - so spin it around so the camshaft timing marks go around a few times, and make sure when they do that, both cams and the crank alignment marks are perfect. Even being off by one tooth is a problem that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes it’s looking at the accessory drive side from the right wheel well. Yes twice around on the crank is one rev of the cams. Six times on the crank is three full cam rotations. I typically spin it anywhere from 4-6 times and verify. It’s just a way to double check things after the jobs mostly done.

BTW you should only move the crank once you have the pulley, all idlers, water pump torqued, and the grenade pin pulled. Make sure you didn’t leave the key way out of the lower pulley! Then and only then do I turn it over. If things still look good then I button up the rest of the motor. The last one I did went really smooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oldskewel and jnissen, thank you both. Like I said, it seems a silly question, but I wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Eh. I've done timing chains on OHV V8s. This looks a bit more involved, but I think I'll be fine.
have read a fair amount of threads on this forum, and other Honda forums of J35 timing belt changes going very wrong.

I did my own last year, and it was unnerving at times.

Need to be methodical and process oriented, or you're going to screw something up.

if you can spare the 1000 bux parts included, get someone to do it for you.

if you're looking for a challenge, and to save 600-700 in labour, then there are plenty of videos and threads on this forum to guide you through.

the service manual is also available on this forum, for instructions and torque specs.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Oldskewel and jnissen, thank you both. Like I said, it seems a silly question, but I wanted to be sure.
That's what I thought. You seemed to know what you're doing, especially asking a question at the end, having done all the stuff before that without issue.

And I know just how it is when something seems so obvious that nobody actually says it because they figure everyone knows it.

2011.2017.odyssey is of course exactly right about the TB job being one that seems to go wrong for some people. I always say the main thing to focus on with a TB job is to not screw something up. It is overall pretty easy to do. Other than getting the crank bolt loose, no one step is particularly difficult. But it is also easy to do something wrong that will ruin your day. Perfect success means that after the job it runs exactly as it did beforehand.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,461 Posts
Not all that silly, since so many Hondas (older, not current) are reverse rotation. That's also where the (somewhat) myth of hard to remove Honda crank pullies comes from - some of the tricks that work on a standard rotation engine don't work on a reverse rotation engine for removing crank bolts.

-Charlie

·
Registered
964 Posts
There's also the matter of perspective. I don't see how "lefty - loosey, righty - tighty" is at all helpful. Is it the direction of wrench movement at the 12 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position?

Clockwise has meaning to me. Looking at the fastener like looking at a clock to read it.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Rather be safe than sorry. Always ask.

And always keep calm and watch my videos lol:

·
Registered
5,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There's also the matter of perspective. I don't see how "lefty - loosey, righty - tighty" is at all helpful. Is it the direction of wrench movement at the 12 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position?

Clockwise has meaning to me. Looking at the fastener like looking at a clock to read it.
12 o'clock

·
Registered
964 Posts
12 o'clock
Yes, I know that's the answer. But being a right hand dominant person, and preferring to pull rather than push, and gravity being what it is.......
Put a ratchet on a lugnut, let gravity locate the ratchet handle, and which way is the handle end moving to loosen? You are correct...toward the right. Always counterclockwise (well, there are those older Mopars, on the driver's side).

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
BTW, I knew you know. Just giving a bit of a smart ass answer to your logical question about 12 vs. 6. :ROFLMAO: I appreciate your rational response. (y)

I do think it is the common sense, natural answer for most people. Which way do you turn a steering wheel when you want to go right? You move the 12 o'clock part to the right. They could have made it the opposite if they wanted, but it is the natural "right" for most people.

·
Registered
964 Posts
And I knew you were having some fun. Almost always a good thing.

And you described the steering wheel movement in an unambiguous manner. Not like the nut/bolt fastening.:D

In general, too many explanations, too many instruction/directions, are written/spoken by those who know for those who already know. Not for those totally unfamiliar. I.e, written for those who don't need them, confusing those who do.

·
Registered
671 Posts

"You are correct...toward the right. Always counterclockwise (well, there are those older Mopars, on the driver's side)."
My '70 Charger had those opposite thread studs on the driver's side, very strange to me at the time. I knocked them out and put in new ones as soon as I bought the car...

·
Registered
964 Posts
The background in your pics reminds me of where I grew up in LIC.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Close, Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. That was at my best friend since 10th grade's workplace at the golf course there. His boss was always great to us, and knew we were responsible people. As long as the work got done, we could work on our cars at his shop all day long. Great bunch of guys there and worked well together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts