Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone, I have a 2011 EXL with dvd. Need a timing belt job bad. Dealer quoted $1900 ball park for the timing belt water pump etc the kit I guess. Met a guy today with the kinda reputation you die for. Top notch car guy. He wants 1600 plus I buy the kit. I figure the Kit is at least five hundred to land here in islandsSo I’m at 21000 min. What you guys think? Oh yeah he said he will do a trans fluid flush no extra if I buy the fluid. I’m pretty sure he is only talkin a one time drain and fill. Anybody got some feed back for me? Need to talk this through. Mahalo in advance!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
I would keep shopping around for an independent mechanic. When I had mine done a few months ago on my 07, my independent mechanic charged me 4.8 hours of labor @$110/hr, which came out to $528. Other members will repeat this, but buy the Aisin timing belt kit with all the parts (water pump, tensioner, etc) from RockAuto only. Other brands are not good value compared to the Aisin, which is technically OEM, and buying it from Ebay/Amazon could get you a fake. In total my cost with parts and labor was about $700. I imagine the labor might be higher in Hawaii but your quote still seems high to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Keep shopping around. Sounds like both options will be around the same $$$. Just bought parts for my timing belt job and they were approximately $250. A shop should take 4-6 hrs, so you do the math.

Sounds like your second source is trying to take advantage of your dealer quote. Shop around, get more quotes, bet they'll be lower, then check your guy to see if he'll beat the new lower quotes.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
whats the mileage? you sure the quote isn't for the 100k major service which includes timing belt, spark plugs valve adjustments? that would make sense with that higher price.

The aisin timing belt component kit on rockauto is 171 bux usd, has all the parts.
change your thermostat while the coolant is dumped (aisin or dealer), get 2 jugs of honda coolant from the dealer or pentofrost.
change the drive belt while its off. dealer, contitech, continental or mitsuboshi.

a lot of shops will not let you provide parts or warranty the work, so insist they use whats listed above.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
was that 210000 miles?

if you have not had the valves adjusted by now, you should do that which means you will need some valve cover gaskets as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, he added wrong. Labor was $1,600 and he was guessing $500 for the kit (shipped to Hawaii), so his projection was $2,100 (but he wrote 21000).

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
764 Posts
This also sounds like a good opportunity to "earn" >$100/hr to DIY...

-Charlie

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
I know things are a bit more expensive in Hawaii, since most everything is flown in, but that seems like a LOT more expensive. A timing belt job at the dealer is around 4-5 hours labor. Even if they were charging $200/hour (which I highly doubt) that's only $1000 for labor. You're getting ripped off.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
The dealer could be quoting a full 105k service that would include the spark plugs and sometimes a valve adjustment.

Did our Hawaiian friend ever disclose how many miles are on his Odyssey? Or is he just past by time?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, for parts - do the Aisin TKH002 kit from Rockauto - excellent kit and includes the belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, and water pump (just search around on here - highly recommended, OEM quality) - no idea where in Hawaii you are, but generically picking a zip code, it shows shipping at $26 via USPS or $42 via Fedex ground (which obviously involves a plane or boat) or $48 via fedex express, so $197-219 at your doorstep. I'd pick up plugs, a serpentine belt, and a thermostat from them, as well. For antifreeze, probably best to source locally.

If you are having someone else do the work (either the dealer or the private shop you mention) I'd go with whomever has the stronger reputation - getting it done right is more important than done cheaply. It's not a hard or oddball job, so I am sure a solid private mechanic will have no issues.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
I just got a package from Rock Auto and they used FedEx. I don't remember asking for FedEx, just picking ground. I would not use USPS right now, as they have been commanded to slow down service. I have three packages waiting for further tracking with them. One for over a week. I think paying extra for shipping is worth it right now. It is sad, as USPS is my preferred shipping. I get my stuff in the middle of the day and my regular postman knows exactly where to hide a package.

I had my 2002 done a couple of years ago with parts from Rock Auto. I would not hesitate to use those Aisin parts on my 2015 when the time comes. Just make sure you have someone lined up who will allow you to use your own parts. If that is not possible, just insist on OEM or the Aisin kit.

If you really "want to talk this through" you might want to further engage here. Start with how many miles are on the van. (i.e. why you need the timing belt job bad)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts