Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2000 Ody a few weeks ago. It has 170,000 miles. Just started getting the egr code and am getting ready to do the manifold cleaning. I have no history on this vehicle so I was wondering if there is any spec on the timing belt? Or would it be smarter to just go ahead and change it along with idler and water pump? And since I'm already there adjust the valves? Really not a ton of money in parts and I would rather take it apart once instead of a couple of times. One more thought, can my local Honda dealer run the vin to see if any factory service was done?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The service interval on the timing belt is 105K miles. If it had been changed on your car on time, the 2nd belt would have some 65K miles or less. If it is at 170K miles on the original belt, you should definitely change it.

Were the head gaskets ever changed? If so, the belt might have been changed at that time since everything has to come apart anyways.

Maybe you can check at a Subaru dealership with your VIN# to see if they have a service record of a changed TB.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think someone just watched the Subaru "Dogs" commercials :).

From my experiences, there's no nationwide database of service history for cars, which is a DAMN shame. You can try calling Honda dealers around where the car spent it's previous life and see if they can run the VIN and find anything. But, if the owner took it to an independent shop (which is very likely, the dealer is crazy damn pricey and usually not terribly competent) you're out of luck.

With some cars there are subtle signs letting you know work has been done; wiring clips not reinstalled, bolts that aren't there or replaced with non-stock bolts, etc. But, you typically need a pretty deep knowledge of the car to see things like that.

Dale

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I kind of thought there wouldn't be a national database. I think for the small investment I'll go ahead and do it all. No since taking a chance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you have no service history and you plan on keeping it for a few years, I'd do it all just to get a baseline. I'd put new plugs in it too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts