Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 50 miles from any certified mechanic dropped it of last week with all the correct parts or so I thought the auto parts store sold me the wrong serpentine belt tensioner I needed the VCM tensioner , I got the non VCM part. The Shop tells me this AFTER they complete work and leave the old tensioner on. More problems ensue the power steering pump now makes hideous groaning noises when turning the fluid bubbles up and comes out the top cap when driven, the side toward the wheel appears full, the side toward the engine appears half full , it was not that way when dropped of the mechanic claims it sounded that way when received. Can anyone tell me what is the cause of the power steering pumps condition or is it shot? Have the new serpentine belt tensioner on order. The timing belt looked rather well , the timing belt tensioner looked like it had a leak, mechanic claimed the TB came of rather easy (belt had 150K or more on it ) water pump looked good , serpentine belt had cracks on inside. Tranny filter was intack but black , will post pisc later to tired now .

·
Registered
122 Posts
The power steering is cavitaing due to the the seals being worn and the cap most likely being loose. Replacing the seals and the cap and bottle should fix that problem. I picked this up for a few bucks directly at Honda bit it can be found online for cheaper from several places shared on here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Seems pretty common to have issues with P/S after this sort of work is done because you move those old hoses out of the way. Ih8spm gives good info and there's a bunch of threads on here with the parts to change that happen to be pretty cheap. Two o-rings, the reservoir and of course new Honda fluid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the new Cap and bottle , the O-Ring I have not replaced. When the pump is running the half toward the engine appears half full , the half towards the wheel is full . I am going to attempt to change the O-ring after that I guess I will have to replace the pump.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
There's 2 o-rings. Most of these issues seem to go away after replacing those parts and purging the system of air. I don't recall seeing many pump issues. The threads I've seen with people replacing the pumps still have the issue after because the shot gunned the pump. There's also a newer better pump, A4 I think but I could be off on that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the new Cap and bottle , the O-Ring I have not replaced. When the pump is running the half toward the engine appears half full , the half towards the wheel is full . I am going to attempt to change the O-ring after that I guess I will have to replace the pump.
Change seals, drain out the fluid, install new bottle and add new fluid. I'll be doing this same process hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I flushed out the P.S. system and refilled it with fresh P.S. fluid in hopes of curing the groaning problem , still no change . I will now order the replacement O -Rings for the unit , I know where the one O-Ring goes on the intake line , but where does the other go ? I already have the new reservoir and cap and a new intake hose.

Great youtube video on flushing system

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the O-Rings S&H cost more than the order . Is it safe for the Power Steering Pump to be driven while the fluid is foaming ?
Product ID: 91345-RDA-A01 $0.88
Product ID: 91370-SV4-000 $1.38
Shipping $3.12

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is the red cap easily removable meaning does it have any resistance? If not take some aluminum foil and wrap it around the red cap to create a tighter fit. This should help eliviate some of the air getting sucked in and reduce foaming. I would continue to drive it unless you notice something significant that worries you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts