Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys... New guy in here...:cheers:...

My Wife was in Honda dealer here in Gilbert, Az (South east of Phoenix) for transmission flush&fluid change, and was told her 2003 odyssey (87,500 Miles) needs a new timing belt and was quoted $695 for "PACKAGE" +$120 for Tensioner(Leaking)...(No Idea what the PACKAGE is..I was out of town)..... $295 for CV Drive Boots....and $447 for shocks (Rear shocks & Right Front Strut are "LEAKING")...(He gave her a coupon for 15% off on the Timing belt Package).

Whew....:dizzy:....

I need to tap in to your infinite wisdom and ask you what do you think of these prices..?? would you take your Odyssey to somewhere else for lower price..?? where in Phoenix Metro and would you trust their works..??

Any advise is aprociated...:)...

·
Registered
166 Posts
@ alvand - Just curious, did you take the vehicle to San Tan Honda? I have actually used them once when I was in the East Valley visiting my in-laws.... I thought that they were quite reasonable and their customer service was excellent. My dealer is Right Honda in Scottsdale, ONLY because I'm lazy and it's the closest dealership to me.

I am the original owner of an '02 EX-L topping out at 160.000-miles and the prices that you have quoted sound reasonable for the dealer - I do occasionally use one independent mechanic for miscellaneous items, but mostly stick with the dealer. The only way to get a better price is to find an independent, but when it comes to my vehicles I feel that I get more satisfaction from the dealer when it comes to mechanical work.

The timing belt should be done - I had mine done at 75.000-miles and my tensioner was bad too. As for the package, I believe there are some other belts in there and I remember changing them at the same time. The $295.00 for the CV boot is a deal since I have a bad boot and Right Honda just quoted me over $400.00. As for the struts and shocks.... I could not tell you off the top of my head how many of these things I have had changed (I know the shocks have been done at least 3-times in the last 8-years) but, I do tow with my Ody. If you don't want to do it all at once, "Leaking" doesn't really mean anything since they can leak for many months before you feel any difference and it's not necessarily a hazard as I drove on "Leaking" struts (at least that is what the dealer told me) for well over a year before I noticed any driving difference.

As for taking the Ody elsewhere - if it puts your mind at ease - do it for a quote, but when I first moved to the Valley I balked at dealer prices and had my Front Rotors changed at some shop that was "recommended" to me and less than a year later I was replacing them again.... typically, the cost is less because they are using inferior parts and are not as highly trained as the dealer guys who could change your shocks "sleep-walking" because they probably did the same job 10-times the same week they saw your vehicle. If you get quotes, ask them where they get their parts - and when they say it's not Honda, but just as good - I would not necessarily believe them. But, to each their own! I just know when I go to the dealer it was done right and if there was an error (since we are all human) then they will stand behind their work.

Question? Are you still on the original transmission? I'm on my second - replaced at 93.000-miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and YES, My wife took her Ody to San TAn Honda. Also, yes, on the original transmission...So far all parts are still original 2003 parts and nothing is broken yet (Knock on wood).. she only uses the Ody for her personal use so it's in good shape.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I think I will be heading to SanTan for the Timing Belt replacement and new CV boots first...:DD..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Highly recommend Highland Auto in Chandler, near Arizona Ave and Warner unless yo uare needed warranty repairs at the dealer. Virgil is the owner for past ~20yrs and will bend over backward to do things right without ripping you off.

Google Maps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts