Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found many posts related to replacing the timing belt. What I haven't found is a thread with instructions on doing the job.

Does such a thread exist?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1
To go along with that does the "search" function work that well on here? Seems like no matter what I search for I always end up with the same "transmission" threads at the top of the list.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There is a "Sticky" under the Periodic Maintenance section for the 2nd Geners. I would guess the 3rd and 4th Gen would be similar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nwf_snake,

Please forgive my unfamiliarity with these forums but I've looked at all the stickies I can find and don't see a section called Periodic Maintenance.

Would you please point me toward the article?

Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please disregard. I did find the article. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Thanks to everyone who posts in these forums.

Because of you folks and your generosity when sharing your knowledge, I was able to successfully change my own timing belt. I changed the timing belt, alternator belt, power steering belt, water pump and spark plugs.

I was very intimidated by the job and put it off forever but I was able to get it done. Admittedly, it took me much longer than most people...probably about 30 hours. However, I really took my time, constantly reviewed the notes I had printed out and did it without buying any special tools.

Marking the old timing belt and pulleys with white-out and then transferring the marks to the new belt would be my biggest recommendation to anyone else doing this job. It takes the uncertainty out of this process. Because of the marks, it was immediately apparent when the new belt slipped a notch while trying to install it over the crank and cam pulleys.

I saved a lot of money and in the process, gained the confidence necessary to tackle just about any job now.

Thank you again.

Rich.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Rich

What brand of timing belt did you install in your Odyssey, Mitsuboshi, Gates, or others, I bought an Aisin Timing belt kit that has a Mitsuboshi marking on the timing belt and I want to make sure that this is a good belt before I install it in my 02 Odyssey.
thanks

Tedpre

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tedpre,

I used Honda parts. A friend picked them up for me and all the bags had Honda Genuine Parts on them but I didn't see who the manufacturer was.... Sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are there printable instructions for changing the timing belt somewhere on this site? I have 2003 with 133K and also have put it off forever because of some apprehension.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
There are a bunch of write-ups and tips on here just gotta search for them. I think the biggest one is on a different site though but is referenced here. Try "DIY timing belt" for a search. There's also some Youtube videos on doing the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts