Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2002 Odyssey with 96K miles on it for a timing belt replacement (also water pump, accessory belts..) to a Honda dealership in Detroit Metro area. Estimate was $692. After a few hours, the dealership called to tell me that there was a delay since the tensioner was also bad since oil was leaking and that would also have to be replaced $120 extra (no extra labor). I was OK with that.

Later they called with some bad news-the timing belt was not installed properly and the vehicle is not driveable. Something about the valve is bent and engine may need machining. May be a few more days in the shop. All this happened Friday. Meanwhile they have given us a Town and Country minivan (which is very nice) rental. Of course no extra charges. I will know more details Monday.

I am concerned that the machined engine will not perform as well as the old one. Should I ask for a new engine? What are my options at this point and what should I demand for?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ask them what they are machining and what they are replacing. Typically when vales are bent they either rebuild the head or they replace it with a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They are just machining the head to match the new valve(s). I wouldn't expect a problem. Then again I would expect a problem installing the timing belt either.

If the problem is repairable then a new engine isn't going to happen. Since you only have 96k on it I think I'd rather have my original repaired than a new cheap rebuilt installed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would tell them as long as they have it apart, they might as well do a valve job while the heads are off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would think since the tech messed it up and he's not getting paid any additional time for fixing it, he's going to make sure everything's perfect before it goes back together. Otherwise, he'll have to go into again if there's a problem at N/C. Machining a head for a bent valve is very common and the likelyhood of a problem is extremely slim.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
That hair-trigger rear cam probably sprung back while the TB was off and speared a valve into the piston. That would definitely bend a valve, and possibly damage the piston as William Wiles noted. You should ask to see the cylinder while the head is off. If the piston top is damaged, it's a completely different game.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help!! My van is ready today, but I am picking it up tomorrow. I do not have a list of what was done to the van, but when I asked about the warranty they mentioned 12 months or 12000 miles. Is that reasonable? Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
12 months or 12000 miles is pretty much the normal warranty for auto repair.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was done - removed head and machined it, replaced knock sensor, replaced 6 valves, replaced gaskets. Pistons looked fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most IC engines need to have the heads lapped when they are removed and replaced even without engine damage. So it's good that they did that IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts