Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have just done my 2011 Odyssey timing belt and water pump.
There are many articles about it so I won't explain anything but here are some tips for you.

My bible is this youtube.

because there is a chance that front and rear camshaft can slip when you take off the belt or put it in, I put several marks described in the video.

I counted all teeth and transferred to the new belt which one of the best safe ways to put the new belt in my opinion.
When you set the TDC properly, there is not any chance that both front and rear cam and crankshaft slip but you never know.
Mine did not move at the time but even it slip a bit, it did not matter because I have all marks in the belt.

I also replaced the side engine mount because it's completely gone after 260,000 km.

It's not difficult jobs to do but it took approx. 6 1/2 hours to finish up.
Now, I'm O.K for the next 100,000 km.
During the job, I also found worn out lower control bushing so it will be the next project for me before the winter.
Hope mine lasts at least another 5 more years.

·
Registered
779 Posts
6 1/2 you are good brother!...it took me 11 on my 2008 two years ago. o_O but hey at least I still have $1,200 in my pocket lol...and proud to have done it myself....my wife wasn't too happy at the end... but I least thanks God the van works as it should lol and not extra bolts left on the magnetic tray. One thing that I did on mine and as I always do when Im doing something major is to record a video of every that I'm removing and where it goes...so if I don't remember when I'm putting everything back I can go there and check. ....maybe that's why It took me so long. Jejej Good job again.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was thinking about it but as you said, it would take way more time to get the job done. I have two little kids and can't afford the video.
One good tool I have is Harmonic Balancer Socket for Honda from Amazon. I do not need to fight with the Crank pulley bolt.
It came out like a baby with my 300 lb-ft electronic impact wrench + the special socket.
The socket is a must-have tool.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep, I was thinking about it but as you said, it would take way more time to get the job done. I have two little kids and can't afford the video.
One good tool I have is Harmonic Balancer Socket for Honda from Amazon. I do not need to fight with the Crank pulley bolt.
It came out like a baby with my 300 lb-ft electronic impact wrench + the special socket.
The socket is a must-have tool.
Jejej trust me I was loaded with everything. Everything went smooth and was doing everything slowly but shortly. What took me almost 1 hour was to release the grenade style pin for the timing belt tensioner. The pulley bolt was a breeze.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
One thing that I did on mine and as I always do when Im doing something major is to record a video of every that I'm removing and where it goes...so if I don't remember when I'm putting everything back I can go there and check.
If you don't want to go through that hassle, put as many bolts/nuts back in their place as you can after a component is removed. Plastic bags and a sharpie work well too. Both methods are necessary for longer projects (months long stuff) as there is no way you will remember everything any other way.

-Charlie

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you don't want to go through that hassle, put as many bolts/nuts back in their place as you can after a component is removed. Plastic bags and a sharpie work well too. Both methods are necessary for longer projects (months long stuff) as there is no way you will remember everything any other way.

-Charlie
Jejej Everytime I go to HF i try to get one of those magnetic tray free. I have like 8 jejeje...I use sharpie on blue painters on each tray. And when doing valve cover the old carton box with the valve shape draw on it. jejeje

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a stack of those little amazon parcel boxes, and place the parts in each of boxes as I move along through the disassembly.

As mentioned above, dollar store ziplock bags and putting the bolts back where they belong, is solid advice for someone who doesnt do this every day or has a photographic memory that lasts beyond a day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Going to do mine soon. Got parts last week. Pulled the trigger today on the socket and pulley tool.

Every bit of info is good. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Manual? You bet. Thanks. I believe my email is in my profile.

Going camping in a few hours so I'll be AWOL till Sunday night. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
are there any cam and crank lock tools available on the market to do this job right instead of mark-n-pray method?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are there any cam and crank lock tools available on the market to do this job right instead of mark-n-pray method?
I don't know any tools for that. I do not think you need any tools for the job. The marks is a backup plan.
When it is in TDC, it doesn't move in my case.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I’ve done four TB changes over the years and only one time did it move on me unexpected. I just moved it back and was fine.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
Found the german car enthusiast/mechanic. (not just from the user name) You want to spend $$$ on tools when your eyes work just fine?

No need for crank/cam holder tools on Japanese engines. There is no 'pray' - there are clear marks on the cam gears, etc. for this purpose right there from the factory.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Found the german car enthusiast/mechanic. (not just from the user name) You want to spend $$$ on tools when your eyes work just fine?

No need for crank/cam holder tools on Japanese engines. There is no 'pray' - there are clear marks on the cam gears, etc. for this purpose right there from the factory.

-Charlie
agreed, a white paint marker is all you need.

highlight the timing markings and mark a line on the belt aligned with the timing marks.

the marker also doubles to tag your bolts with a white dot identifying they have been torqued.

common practice for engine rebuilders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
a tool worth investing in is this, to get the stubborn crank bolt off.
my weak delta compressor / impact set gun took that bolt off like a breeze.
why cant you just use the regular 19mm impact socket? whats so special about this particular one? Sounds promising that you can use the marking method for the TB on Hondas. I once mentioned this on TDIclub forum and was almost immediately stoned with nasty comments, so I obviously have some locking tools for the tdis.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
why cant you just use the regular 19mm impact socket? whats so special about this particular one? Sounds promising that you can use the marking method for the TB on Hondas. I once mentioned this on TDIclub forum and was almost immediately stoned with nasty comments, so I obviously have some locking tools for the tdis.
Check out this quick video to see why:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
BTW my local O'Reilly Auto has this socket and the crank holder tool available as a loaner. I don't know if that is national avialability but worth checking. I plan to go this route when the time comes, given that I won't use it very often.
rent a tool has been canceled in my area until further notice, thanks to the wuflu.

I can always justify buying tools, if I save significantly on the labor cost of doing it myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts