Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into the dealership for maintenance, and they said they recommended replacing the timing belt at 7 years even though the car only has 55K miles on it. It is a 2004 so it is just 7 years old. He said it would cost $900 which I don't have right now. Is this something I should do at the first opportunity? I always thought it was at 100K miles so it wasn't on my radar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my car into the dealership for maintenance, and they said they recommended replacing the timing belt at 7 years even though the car only has 55K miles on it. It is a 2004 so it is just 7 years old. He said it would cost $900 which I don't have right now. Is this something I should do at the first opportunity? I always thought it was at 100K miles so it wasn't on my radar.
FWIW

My experience with two civics that popped timing belts, while I was in them, is that it's a millage thing and not a years thing. These were both cars that had more years than miles. The belts popped about 20K miles after the recommended replacement millage.

The dealer may know better and they may be looking to drum up business.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Heat is a big factor. If you're taking a long trip or if you drive alot in hot weather, I would change it. If it's just short trips around town, probably could wait.
An independent shop could probably offer a better price than the dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I live in the Bay Area so if the temperature breaks 70 it is a record breaker.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You should be fine, most folks who replace their own say it looks like new after more years and miles. Try to get it done in the next 12 months, that will give you time to budget it. Do replace the water pump and idler pulleys while in there. Much of the cost is labor so doing these things at the same time will limit future issues and costs.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
The dealer is correct that the timing belt is replaced at 7 years or 105K miles. So he's not inventing this.

On the other hand, OdyinNH is also correct that these intervals are very conservative. It will last another 12 months given your mileage and location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts