Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Odyssey purchased in the fall of 2011, original owner, 150k miles.

I replaced the timing belt at the dealer at around 8 years / 100k miles. Dealer tells me now that the tensioner is leaking and the timing belt is due to be replaced again. Does this sound reasonable? Is this something that I can live with for a while? We're not planning to replace the van anytime soon as it has no current issues.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
509 Posts
Bad luck, but a leaky tensioner will eventually fail. You should have it replaced. The OEM ones don't usually fail early, but it does happen from time to time. Glad it was caught before the belt broke and wrecked your valves!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like the TB job was done about 3 years and 50K miles back. You could just replace the tensioner as it sounds like this was Honda OEM parts at the dealer.

I'd probably bite the bullet and do the whole thing and be done. Consider yourself lucky and for kicks have the dealer show you the leaking tensioner when done. Mine was also leaking, it's pretty obvious when it is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah, i'm going to have them do the whole shebang again, about $1k including water pump. They showed me the leak. i looked it up and the last timing belt change was April of 2018, so about 4 1/2 years ago (and about 50-60k miles). Definitely annoying to have to change it again so quickly given the last one was done at the dealer using Honda parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even MORE annoying is when an independent shop uses a crappy dayco brand belt and it breaks after ONLY 15K causing 6K worth of damage. Thankfully I only had to pay a 100.00 deductible since I had an extended warranty plan. Had all repairs done at my honda dealership here. NO more independent shops EVER again!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even MORE annoying is when an independent shop uses a crappy dayco brand belt and it breaks after ONLY 15K causing 6K worth of damage. Thankfully I only had to pay a 100.00 deductible since I had an extended warranty plan. Had all repairs done at my honda dealership here. NO more independent shops EVER again!
Good point. :). We've got a good, no-pressure dealer near us that i've been using for about 20 years now for service work. Rates are generally comparable with the independents in the area.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Nothing wrong with independent shops, you just have to be clear on what parts they're using. Mine will strongly encourage OEM when needed and will be honest when it's not needed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just curious, but outwardly how can you tell the TB tensioner is leaking? I just did my own TB change at 99K miles and the tensioner looked okay. I have seen pics where it is leaking a bit of fluid, but it is all covered up under covers so I am not sure you could really see it well.

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
yeah, i'm going to have them do the whole shebang again, about $1k including water pump. They showed me the leak. i looked it up and the last timing belt change was April of 2018, so about 4 1/2 years ago (and about 50-60k miles). Definitely annoying to have to change it again so quickly given the last one was done at the dealer using Honda parts.
The thing is, the timing belt tensioner is not replaced as a part of that timing belt package. You have to explicitly ask for it and pay extra for the part. Do you have the old paperwork? Did the tensioner fail at 50K or at 150K?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing is, the timing belt tensioner is not replaced as a part of that timing belt package. You have to explicitly ask for it and pay extra for the part. Do you have the old paperwork? Did the tensioner fail at 50K or at 150K?
I looked up the invoice for my 2018 replacement, it says the "T-belt tensioner" was part of the package. I've put 53k on it since the last timing belt change.

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
I looked up the invoice for my 2018 replacement, it says the "T-belt tensioner" was part of the package. I've put 53k on it since the last timing belt change.
Okay. Now we can claim bad luck in good conscience as the tensioner should not have failed this prematurely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, as much as I love this van, maintenance costs have been high. Still not high enough to justify a new one given the current market. :)

In the last 2 years or so I've replaced:
  • Rear coil spring seats
  • Radiator fan
  • PS pump
  • Front engine seal
  • Oil sensor switch
  • Front axles

And now, another timing belt replacement

It also thew a catalytic converter code a couple of months ago but that hasn't returned after I cleared it, had the valves adjusted, and put a few cans of fuel injection cleaner through the system.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
It also thew a catalytic converter code a couple of months ago but that hasn't returned after I cleared it, had the valves adjusted, and put a few cans of fuel injection cleaner through the system.
Should probably disable VCM if you want that code to stay away.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >143k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
1,010 Posts
Okay. Now we can claim bad luck in good conscience as the tensioner should not have failed this prematurely.
FWIW my original tensioner failed around 78k miles, at which point i had the belt, water pump, etc replaced with Honda parts. The replacement tensioner failed after about 35k. I am now on the third tensioner (Aisin - DIY replacement) and hopefully it lasts till the next TB job. My point is that sometimes the Honda parts fail early, but I wouldn't dare try anything other than Honda/Aisin for this crucial part. The price isn't bad if you can DIY.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
i read through the VCM threads but didn't see anything related to catalytic converter issues. Did I miss that?
Direct quote for you:
Oil burning can cause oil fouling of the spark plugs, leading to misfires. The oil burning combined with the misfires will destroy your catalytic converters (not cheap to replace!) over time.

Reactions: Nrajeff and imref

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
509 Posts
i read through the VCM threads but didn't see anything related to catalytic converter issues. Did I miss that?
VCM is a known cat killer. Not overnight, but it starts to become more common after 8-10 years, too soon for a good factory unit to fail unless it's being contaminated with fuel or oil.

More common to see cats fail after the rings get really gummed up since so much oil tends to be leaking by at that point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VCM is a known cat killer. Not overnight, but it starts to become more common after 8-10 years, too soon for a good factory unit to fail unless it's being contaminated with fuel or oil.

More common to see cats fail after the rings get really gummed up since so much oil tends to be leaking by at that point.
i think i'm one of the 'lucky' ones, had the ring failure at the two year mark (around 22k), so had the engine repaired under warranty. I haven't had any further issues since then and am going to hit 150k this weekend, and 12 years in January (hopefully).

Yes, I know it's not too late to to muzzle VCM and it's on my list of things to do. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts