Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Timing Belt Tensioner repeated failures

1148 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  adr5
I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey EXL. 113k miles. The maintenance Minder said timing belt service. I did same service on my Ridgeline so did same process on Odyssey and used OEM parts ordered on eBay. Completed in August. November tensioner is hammered so replace belt and tensioner. This morning start van and boom tensioner is hammering again. I replaced both pulleys and water pump so not sure why tensioners keep going. Both tensioners are OEM. Any ideas what is causing tensioners to go? Anyone else experience this? Tomorrow I do job again for third time. Help appreciated
  • Wow
Reactions: rmyoder
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
ordered on eBay
There's your issue, chief. eBay is known for these kinds of problems with counterfeit parts. Avoid using it for any critical parts. Aisin kit off of RockAuto.

Let me guess, you ordered a "Genuine Honda" kit off of eBay? Because I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no actual Genuine Honda kit. The only way to get all the Honda parts is to buy them all individually. And the cost of that is well over $500.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Save your engine while you can, replace the whole thing with an Aisin kit. The belt is going to fail soon and I wouldn't trust the eBay tensioner either. Either pay <$200 now or pay thousands later. Your choice.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I changed belt last time I did tensioner from Napa. I live in tiny town in Canada so when I took tensioner off second time there was scuffing on belt so I didn’t want to chance it and got belt to go with tensioner. As the tensioner went this time I just took it off and belt has zero scuffing. Thanks for tips.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose its not fair to damn all ebay sellers, if possible check the reputation from the one you got your current kits from.

OEM tensioners are known to fail prematurely, but your luck with them seems far from coincidence.
That’s the thing reputation was good read other and everyone was happy with part. Who can say. Water pump had same Honda stamp the OEM from vehicle had.

· Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey EXL. 113k miles. The maintenance Minder said timing belt service. I did same service on my Ridgeline so did same process on Odyssey and used OEM parts ordered on eBay. Completed in August. November tensioner is hammered so replace belt and tensioner. This morning start van and boom tensioner is hammering again. I replaced both pulleys and water pump so not sure why tensioners keep going. Both tensioners are OEM. Any ideas what is causing tensioners to go? Anyone else experience this? Tomorrow I do job again for third time. Help appreciated
NOOO Ebay!

· Premium Member
8,818 Posts
The ONLY eBay storefronts I ever use for Honda parts are ...

... * drum roll * ...

.... those that are simply an additional means for a real live Honda or Acura dealership parts counter to sell parts.

Galpin Honda gets my business (their brick-and-mortar location is in So Cal near where I used to live eons ago). So do a couple other "known" dealerships with bona fide eBay storefronts.

That said, out of thousands of sellers of Honda parts on eBay, I could count this small number of "trusted agents" I use on eBay using one hand and still have fingers left over.

OF

· Registered
273 Posts
+1 for Rock Auto for any and all parts.

+100 for only getting the Aisin timing belt kit from Rock Auto.

You know, if my door roller goes out because I bought a counterfeit, it's inconvenient. If my engine got trashed because a timing belt failed...

· Registered
7,290 Posts
You know, if my door roller goes out because I bought a counterfeit, it's inconvenient. If my engine got trashed because a timing belt failed...
Well, both are inconvenient...one is just a bit more inconvenient for your wallet too...

• Haha
Reactions: skelsall

· Registered
2012 EX-L, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
1,057 Posts
As @0dyfamily said, buying from real dealers via eBay is fine. However I don't know which are real and which are fake on ebay, so I typically buy directly from legit Honda dealers' websites. I don't think a list of them exists on the forum, but such a list would be helpful.

So far, I have used BK Honda and Bernardi. These are real dealers and their prices (including shipping) are usually much better than my local Honda dealer.

· Premium Member
8,818 Posts
@rmyoder , BK and Bernardi are on my “short list,” too. :cool: (y)

Whenever I search for a part my p/n on eBay, if dealers like them show up on the results list, even if they cost just a little more, I still go with them for the purchase.

OF

· Registered
571 Posts
The ONLY eBay storefronts I ever use for Honda parts are ...

... * drum roll * ...

.... those that are simply an additional means for a real live Honda or Acura dealership parts counter to sell parts.

Galpin Honda gets my business (their brick-and-mortar location is in So Cal near where I used to live eons ago). So do a couple other "known" dealerships with bona fide eBay storefronts.

That said, out of thousands of sellers of Honda parts on eBay, I could count this small number of "trusted agents" I use on eBay using one hand and still have fingers left over.

OF
ya I was going to point that out too. I’ve bought from dealers on eBay before. With so much fraud though, dealer website direct or rock auto is less stressful

· Registered
702 Posts
You should NEVER order critical parts from ebay or amazon. Too many counterfeit parts If you bought the belt from the same vendor on ebay, REPLACE IT NOW. It is a ticking time bomb. Buy the Aisin kit from RockAuto. They are reputable and all the parts come in a kit that is about $200.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts