Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the water pump on a 2001 Odyssey EX? Ours develop a coolant leak in the water pump area. I took it to a local auto repair chain that I use when I don't have time to do something. They replaced the timing belt about 60,000 miles ago and installed a new water pump at the time. They have a "fixed forever" guarantee. As a result, the current faulty water pump will be replaced at no charge. However, they're telling me that they can do it without removing the timing belt, so if I want a new timing belt, I'll have to pay a little over $300 for parts and labor.

Is it feasible that they can replace the water pump without removing the timing belt?

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is what the HELM manual says about water pump replacement:

1. Drain the engine coolant (see page 10-13).
2. Remove the timing belt (see page 6-20).
3. Remove the timing belt tensioner.
4. Remove the water pump (A) by removing five bolts.
5. Inspect, repair and clean the O-ring groove and
mating surface on the cylinder block.
6. Install the water pump with a new O-ring (B) in the
reverse order of removal.

I would say you need to take off the timing belt.......and just get a new timing belt. It's only $40 for the part. I don't understand why dudes would charge you so much. I think you are getting taken for a ride here. I would ask them HOW they plan to get the water pump off without touching the timing belt. I'll take another look at the timing belt removal process to see if the water pump part is dealt with part way through the timing belt procedure but in my opinion they should charge you about $40 for the part and a half hour to replace the belt.......really be careful here.

Watchman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey kknh3, I have the Helm manual water pump removal procedure if you want to print it and take it into the garage with you. They are trying to recover some of the costs of their warranty in my opinion, and taking a short cut like they are suggesting would certainly not be approved by Honda in any way shape or form.

Watchman

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have access to alldata.diy for the Odyssey, and it looks to me like the timing belt has to come off in order to get the water pump out. They're not going to be finished until Monday, so I plan to print some things out to take with me to discuss this charge.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
These mechanics you are using must not know much about cars. I'm just a shadetree DIY guy, and even I know this basic truth: in general, whether it's a Honda, FIAT, Nissan, Ferrari, Mitsubishi...ad infinitum to the list of car makes...and it has a timing belt, the only safe bet to assure a full service life for the timing belt is to never remove tension following installation. Once you remove the timing belt to facilitate other maintenance (like water pump replacement), the only safe thing to do is install a new belt.

You can't remove/replace the water pump without removing tension from the timing belt. It's impossible. $300 to replace a timing belt that they SHOULD replace anyways? If I give them the benefit of the doubt, these guys must be thinking about a vehicle design other than your Honda. If they know better, then I say they're pulling a fast one.

They have to honor that warranty without charging you extra. The belt has to come off anyway to get at the water pump. The way to de-fuse their argument is to walk in with a brand new Gates or Contico timing belt (they make OEM stuff), hand it to them, and say, "Replace my water pump, and install this timing belt to replace the one that is going to have to be removed anyway.".

Guys like this give mechanics a bad name.

OF

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would have the replace the tensioner too, if it wasn't done last time. The tensioner can go on these engines too.
Assuming the belt cost about $100, then $200 for does labor seem high. Expensive extended coffee break.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I paid about $15 for my timing belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts