Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an 01 odyssey with 95k on it needed a key went to dealer cost 200 bucks the did a inspection on the van and came back and said i should have the timing belt changed saying it was over due for $800 is that a good price ?do i need to change the water pump ? ( not leaking) i live in wpb 33461 any locals here could point me towards a local mechanic thanks dave

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
By Honda's recommendation, the timing belt should be changed at 7 years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Many change out the water pump too. Some go on and replace the tensioner, idler pulley, cam seals and crank seal while they are in there.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I looked back at the service records for my 2001 Odyssey. I had the timing belt changed at the same time as the 90,000-mile service, so the total charge of $1,268 was for both. So maybe the $800 you are quoted is reasonable. Maybe others will post what they paid.

IIRC, they recommend replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt change, since the pump is only accessible with the chain removed. So they might as well as do the pump replacement at the same time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Daveduck -
Yes, the timing belt is recommended at 105k (per Honda) and it is also recommended that you replace the water pump at the same time.

These two are almost always done in pairs because the water pump is easily accessed while doing the timing belt - and while it may last longer than the 105k - you don't want to have to do the job twice.

As for the $800 - that sounds about right. If you are mechanically minded, there are some great write-ups on here for 2nd gen ody's.
I plan to do my own in 75k more miles and will spend around $300 rather than $800.

You could wait another 10k miles and probably be fine, but if it were mine - i'd get it changed sooner than later.

Best of luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Has your honda spent most of its life in FL?

If so, change the coolant and wait another year to change the belt.

Belts that live in dry areas don't last very long. Ones that live in humid areas last a long, long time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also, as a reference the previous owner of my van paid:

$307.27 for parts (timing belt, water pump etc)
432.19 for the labor

for a total of: $739.46

but he got his own parts and supplied them to a private shop. So, generally that will be a cheaper route to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
daveduck said:
hi i have an 01 odyssey with 95k on it needed a key went to dealer cost 200 bucks the did a inspection on the van and came back and said i should have the timing belt changed saying it was over due for $800 is that a good price ?do i need to change the water pump ? ( not leaking) i live in wpb 33461 any locals here could point me towards a local mechanic thanks dave
thanks for all the input found a local who will do the timing belt/water pump all belts and a coolant flush for 500 bucks with a 6 month/36000 mile warranty going to do asap new to honda cars had a 90 camry bought with 75000 and gave it to my brother in law with 180000 still running strong exspect my honda to last just as long if not longer i dont put things off if it needs it or if it due it gets done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts