Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. getting ready to replace timing belt on my 04 odyssey. bought it used 10 months ago with 195000 on it. just wondering if there are any tips, recommendations, etc. out there. Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Be prepared for the crank bolt to be a bear, I did the starter trick on my gen 2. Most useful tip is mark a tooth on the old belt to the same spot on the 3 pulleys then transfer the marks to the new belt so everything is exactly as it was. When possible I like to make it so the cams cannot spin, the Accord I just did I used zip ties through the cam pulley spokes. I bet that saved me as it took me days to get a broken water pump bolt out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I second on the holding the belt and the cam together to avoid jumping a tooth - I use 2 spring clamps-HF. And mark those belts. Double check by counting the teeth on both.

You also need the honda crank holding tool -free rental o'reillys. And a torque wrench that goes to 200 ft lb.- you need 180 ft. lb. ,if I remember it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the tips. Kit should be here today gonna tackle it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The post about marking both timing belts. Use a sharpie. On another car I have the belt came with pre-printed marks on that matched up with marks on the various pulleys. A tremendous help .

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Well started project and already broken bolt. Engine mount bracket bolt View attachment 152282
Well that's a tough start but I think that piece is removed from the block later in the process which will make it easier to get the old bolt out. Be super careful with the water pump bolts as they are not thick so breaking one will ruin your day, probably week. That part is actually pretty cheap assuming I got the correct one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well project going better got crank pulley off down to water pump. forgot to adk what is best coolant to refill system with?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Honda coolant is best, Pentosin A3 or Aisin ACB003 are good substitutes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Been using prestone long life concentrate for decades without any cooling problems because of it. <$14 at walmart with a gal. of distilled water. 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
It's only a few dollars more to have the right stuff. Mixing coolants is not recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well mission accomplished! the longest part was taking care of broken mount bracket bolt. tried to use an extractor ,even knowing it would not work, it broke. then it was slowwwwwww grinding away with dremel then drilling out hole and getting a bolt that would fit. Between that and all the loctite whoever was in there before used added at least a day to the job. one timing cover bolt was already snapped off, one was bent, one I snapped off. Two of the loaner torque wrenches from auto zone were broken, extra trips, but they did have the crank holding tool (the one I ordered online was delayed in transit). If I didn't need the van for work tuesday I would have ordered a new bracket I probably spent as much in gas and grinding stones. luckily the three cover bolts are not in close proximity so should be ok till I can get new ones and drill and repair the 2 holes. Thanks for all the info everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
sdkid
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing