Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 odyssey- 4400 miles. Mechanic said I need to change timing belt at 7 years even though low miles. I live in hot climate in Texas but want some other opinions on this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Given the relative lack of humidity in the heat, it might make sense to change the belt. I'm not sure if that's enough wear on the water pump to warrant changing it as well. I would let a few other people chime in before I make my decision if I were you.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the relative lack of humidity in the heat, it might make sense to change the belt. I'm not sure if that's enough wear on the water pump to warrant changing it as well. I would let a few other people chime in before I make my decision if I were you.

Thx for reply

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Unless I'm missing something here you should still be a year away from 7 years of use, correct? If that is right then I would wait a year and that would be extremely conservative given the low miles. A year from now you should be at 51K? IMO it could easily wait another year yet at that point or 2022 when the van is 8 years old.

Another thing to consider here might be your long term strategy for the van. If you think you would trade/sell the van at 10 years old then pushing the TB until year 8 doesn't make sense, but if you plan to keep it 15 years then doing it at year 8 does make sense because you won't have to do it again. All of this is JMO of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless I'm missing something here you should still be a year away from 7 years of use, correct? If that is right then I would wait a year and that would be extremely conservative given the low miles. A year from now you should be at 51K? IMO it could easily wait another year yet at that point or 2022 when the van is 8 years old.

Another thing to consider here might be your long term strategy for the van. If you think you would trade/sell the van at 10 years old then pushing the TB until year 8 doesn't make sense, but if you plan to keep it 15 years then doing it at year 8 does make sense because you won't have to do it again. All of this is JMO of course.
Yes manufactured January of 2014- I still have 9 months to 7 years, I was just wondering what others thought of the honda mechanic saying I should definitely replace it at the seven year mark. I’m just curious. Thx. I’m keeping van for a long time so I will definitely replace it when needed. My buddy said he could take timing belt cover off to see the wear on it from the heat we have here even though such low miles. Just wondering what Honda people thought.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yes manufactured January of 2014- I still have 9 months to 7 years, I was just wondering what others thought of the honda mechanic saying I should definitely replace it at the seven year mark. I’m just curious. Thx. I’m keeping van for a long time so I will definitely replace it when needed. My buddy said he could take timing belt cover off to see the wear on it from the heat we have here even though such low miles. Just wondering what Honda people thought.
BTW, I would agree with jwzg on changing the belt only if you do it around 50K miles. Normally I would never recommend doing the belt without the water pump, tensioner, pulleys, etc., but those items aren't impacted by the climate the way the rubber belt is.

Out of curiosity, how have your tires held up? One your 2nd set already? Only asking because if you still have the originals the condition of their rubber could give you some insight on the belt. Obviously not exactly the same because tires get exposed to sun, but still something to compare to, especially if the van tends to be garaged or at least protected from the sun during the day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, I would agree with jwzg on changing the belt only if you do it around 50K miles. Normally I would never recommend doing the belt without the water pump, tensioner, pulleys, etc., but those items aren't impacted by the climate the way the rubber belt is.

Out of curiosity, how have your tires held up? One your 2nd set already? Only asking because if you still have the originals the condition of their rubber could give you some insight on the belt. Obviously not exactly the same because tires get exposed to sun, but still something to compare to, especially if the van tends to be garaged or at least protected from the sun during the day.
I bought the van new in April of 2014 and had problems with the tires all the time losing air and riding rough. Discount Tire balanced them and said no leaks but my wife was always there getting air and having them getting checked out. So I replaced them at 20000 and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
91 Posts
Check out the advice on this thread:

This guy has a 2013 with only 28K miles.

I would wait, but that's just me. Honda says 7 years, so if you want to follow their recommendations, I don't think anyone would fault you. However, I think it's low risk to even push it to 10 years (or maybe even 12 years) given your low mileage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
FYI -

I replaced a broken timing belt on a 1985 Toyota Camry, 51K, 13 years in (mostly around town) service - I don't think there was a time limit on this belt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here are pictures of a timing belt (Aisin kit TKH-002) project I am doing currently on a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring with 105k miles and manufactured 10/'11. Locality, southern california (this location is in a valley and gets over 100 frequently in the summer). The timing belt looks fine to me, but I'm doing this job to save my sister some money versus the dealer. I cannot see anything wrong with the belt. Opening the timing belt covers and looking at it might be a good idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
The major failure typically comes from the tensioner IIRC. The belt typically holds up fine. However, if you're going to replace it, then you might as well get all of the components.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
91 Posts
I didn't see anything wrong with my 13 year old, 82K mile belt either - it looked like it would have lasted another 10 years! Of course, it would be stupid to leave it on there that long. BUT, the tensioner was completely shot, so it had to be replaced. Even if the tensioner wasn't making noise, I would have replaced it by the end of the year anyway.

The older, pre-97/98ish belts on Toyotas (not sure of the cutoff for Honda) needed replacement more frequently. I think they started using improved rubber around 97 or 98 which greatly improved the lifespan of the belt. Toyota recommends 90K/6 year change interval, while Honda recommends 105K/7 year. I suspect this might be due to the fact that Toyota engines run hotter than Hondas.

I replaced the timing belt for the first time on my 01 Camry in 2017 with 81K miles (16 years). I forgot to ask my mechanic what the condition of the old belt was. But, the Camry is a non-interference engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think this 2012 Honda Odyssey Timing Belt Tensioner was bad as well. I would never do just the timing belt, always the kit w/ water pump, etc. And I would only go with quality timing belt kits like aisin or Honda OEM.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
431 Posts
FYI -

I replaced a broken timing belt on a 1985 Toyota Camry, 51K, 13 years in (mostly around town) service - I don't think there was a time limit on this belt.
That's a very apples to oranges comparison. That was a 5 year / 60k mile belt from the factory. Around town driving is MUCH harder on a timing belt than highway driving. Oh, and that engine is/was non-interferance, so low risk with a failure. The problem was that the owners manual maintenance guide stopped at 60k miles and never mentioned the belt, so many owners missed it (including my mom, who had the belt go at 180k miles on our '90 Camry in maybe '97 or so)

All that said... on a modern Honda, I wouldn't worry about going a year or two past the interval (say, 8-9 years) on a low mileage belt. Look at that 2011 belt with twice the miles! It looks nearly new (the rubber on the ribs isn't glazed, etc.).

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
... My buddy said he could take timing belt cover off to see the wear on it from the heat we have here even though such low miles...
I would not worry about it yet.

There was a recent thread on here basically asking if anyone had ever seen a first hand confirmed TB failure. Rare or never was the answer, it seems. Find and read the thread to get it directly. In my experience in reading and looking for direct data like this over the years, it is almost unheard of that the belt itself is the cause of failure. When a TB does fail, it happens due to some related failure such as the TB tensioner, water pump, etc. Never just the belt.

But specifically regarding having your friend inspect. You can do that, but I can predict with almost 100% certainty that he will take the cover off, look at it, confirm that it looks just fine, and you'll be just where you are now. The comments above here, plus the photos, and confirming with my own experience with 3x Odyssey TB jobs done, the removed belt (mine all at 105k mile intervals) will look perfectly solid. So I would not even bother looking at it. If you want to protect yourself, you might listen for the tensioner, observe carefully for any leaks, decide to proactively pop the hood each time you get gas, etc. to listen, observe, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts