Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
So I would not even bother looking at it.
Yep, its appearance does not indicate its condition.

One exception is if it's been contaminated by a fluid leak of some kind. That's rare, but possible, and would probably be visible outside the TB cover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey Ex that had approximately 109,000 miles on it when I changed the TB and related components. At that time, the vehicle was 13 years old. The mechanic showed me the parts, and they looked almost brand new. The timing belt will look new and will hold up for many years. But, the other components can fail with little notice. I was comfortable letting the service go past seven years due to the low mileage, but I also take outstanding care of my van and always listen for noises. If the van started making noise, I knew immediately. When changing the TB and related parts, buy an Aisin kit from a reputable source. Don't buy from eBay or Amazon because they may be fake. Instead, buy from automotive parts companies that have established a name for themselves. Do your research. Also, have the mechanic flush the coolant out and put new, Honda coolant in. Don't forget to install a new serpentine belt on as well. People swear by the Honda OEM belts because they are sturdy and don't make noises like cheaper belts do. Whether you change the TB and components now or later is entirely up to you. These Ody Club posts are not recommendations. We try to provide information so that other Ody Club subscribers can make intelligent decisions. Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Out of curiosity, how have your tires held up? One your 2nd set already? Only asking because if you still have the originals the condition of their rubber could give you some insight on the belt. Obviously not exactly the same because tires get exposed to sun, but still something to compare to, especially if the van tends to be garaged or at least protected from the sun during the day.
I would not go by tire condition. Tires are exposed to the sun, your TB is not, so they will deteriorate much faster. Best bet is to look at the belt itself.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts