Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read people not changing there timing belt until 200,000 plus miles and when they do they say the belts still looked like it was new?I have not read one post of a failure.Looks like they should have given it alittle longer in between changes just saying.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You are right there is a chance a belt may last over 200,000mi, but that is a big risk in my opinion. As to the stories of the old belt looking new, I believe it is still worn and needs to be replaced. I don't believe the belts show any cracks or visual wear. I think with heat and stress they can just snap and there goes your engine. Not something to gamble on in my opinion. Put it off for a few thousand miles but not double the replacement interval.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I plan on doing mine when the time comes just wondering if anyone on here had one break yet?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh I plan on doing mine when the time comes just wondering if anyone on here had one break yet?
I did mine last month,,, 99k miles, 2005 ody. Old timing belt looked good but,, water pump had a bad bearing and one pully had a bad bearing. Motor mount replaced, had split into three sections with cracks. There are other issues besides belt. I replaced all tensioners, pullys and belts. It might be good at 100k but why have to mess with it maybe(?) at 150k miles. I keep my Hondas well past 200k miles. Just replaced everything, buy parts on line and find a mech to put them on or have hondashop do it,,, For what you save by buying you parts yourself you can pay sombody to do the labor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is there a specific place to get the best deal on parts?
I use this place,, there are others on line,,, Sometimes there is free shipping,, just shop around.,,, :DD

Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store

The compressor, use amazon.com,, if you know the manufuture name of the part then it's always cheaper than Honda's wholesalers. Denso is the ac COMPRESSOR

Honda wholesale is $485, Amazon is $345,,, I found one for $285 (I used my NAPA wholesalers card) ,,, if you have time, you can save money by research,,

·
Registered
174 Posts
As to the stories of the old belt looking new, I believe it is still worn and needs to be replaced. I don't believe the belts show any cracks or visual wear.
The newest belt designs using EPDM polymers makes it harder to visually inspect wear on accessory belts, needless to say timing belts, they just don't show wear like accessory belts used to.

See Aftermarket Parts - Automotive | Goodyear® Engineered Products then click on "Gator Gauge" at the bottom right. They now use rib depth gauges and overall thickness of accessory belts to determine wear.

Is there a specific place to get the best deal on parts?
Check with the sponsors here on the Quick Links tab, or check eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's been a while since this thread had any comments. I'm also curious if anyone had a timing belt failure. It seems like these belts will go 150k miles at least based no what I've been reading online here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
KEEP IN MIND THAT THE TIMING BELT IS IN A PROTECTED AREA, there are covers that protect the timing belt from foreign material and road debris, one must examine a new belt next to a old one to see the difference, one of the most noted changes are belt dimensions, rubber fatigues and stretches over time!! unfortunately I have replace many many valve sets in customers cylinder heads due to snapped timing belts... it is an unfortunate thing. the average life that I see (southern US) is between 7-9 years and 100-170k miles. I MUST WARN THIS IS STRETCHING THE LIFE OF THE BELT!! Fter the new model change (05-06) the 3.5v6 was redesigned a little bit, in this redesign also came a new design on the timing belt. Making it much stronger and durable.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
After 100K miles, it is a gamble.

In the Volvo 850, we know for fact that the TB usually breaks at 120K-140K for people who neglected TB service.
If the Honda runs mostly on highway, then I guess the TB lasts longer.
The problem is 99% of the van owners drive around town, stop and go etc.
90K-100K is the safest bet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The climate that the vehicle lives in will also affect the timing belt's life. But as stated above, it may be one of the other items (water pump, idler pulley, tensioner) that fails first.

I changed out my belt (plus all related items) at about 128K miles and I'm almost sure that it had been done once before (either that or everything still looked brand new). YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about after 3,000 miles but 20 years? I just bought a 1999 with only 3,009 miles, that were put on about 1/2 mile per day going to the mailbox on a farm by a handicapped man. So it was regularly used, but not much. Dare I chance it for a few thousand miles?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,444 Posts
I had the TB replaced on my '06 at 90k last year. While it was still in usable condition, it definitely had some signs of wear.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
How about after 3,000 miles but 20 years? I just bought a 1999 with only 3,009 miles, that were put on about 1/2 mile per day going to the mailbox on a farm by a handicapped man. So it was regularly used, but not much. Dare I chance it for a few thousand miles?
No way! Any pictures?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
In the box underneath the posts where you can enter your text, there are buttons including "Insert image". You can either drag your pics to the box that pops up, or click and navigate to your files.
I like going straight to the text box instead of clicking Reply, unless I want to include that post as a quote. Kinda odd until you get used to it! :)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
You should replace the timing belt as soon as possible. Get the Aisin kit.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
A 20 year old rubber belt should be changed out ASAP. I'd change the belt and the tensioner at the very least. The bearings will have little wear so if you want to skip them you probably could. The water pump will have old rubber seals in it so it should probably be changed, as well. You might as well just buy the Aisin kit and do the whole job (or have it done.)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Belongs in a Honda museum in my opinion :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts