Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Ody with 98k miles.

I replaced my timing belt with a Gates kit (pulleys, pump, belt and tensioner) and upon restarting my motor, heard a bit of clatter. I’d seen a couple of videos about this so I quickly looked at the tensioner. There was no obvious play so I checked in with a tech at Gates. He came up with needing to bleed the tensioner, so I pulled it off and followed his instructions, compress slowly 2-3 times, piston up, with the tensioner held vertically. No problem. Then before installing, I noticed the belt was slack on the front cam side of the motor. So I thought to be safe I’d turn the crank clockwise to take up that tension and then bring it around again until my cam marks came up. Bad idea but it’s Saturday and the band was really good last night. Bad because without tension, the belt slipped off the rear cam gear and that cam lagged behind the rest of the party 90 degrees before I noticed it. So, I took the belt off and I brought that cam back around (clockwise) until it agreed with the front cam, both at their marks. Then I brought the crank around til it was at TDC. My guess is that I had to turn the crank one turn to 1/3 of a turn for the cams. Now the question is how to verify that I’m at the correct revolution of the crank for where the cams are? And be gentle, not only was the band good, I had two Switchbacks which is one too many for me.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just verify your marks prior to turning it over. Once verified then slowly manually turn over the engine at least two full revolutions. 4 would be ideal. Then verify the timings marks are still good to go. Make sure your marks are the intended ones. There are multiple markings and you would not be the first person to mess that up. Only after you verify should you proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I highlighted the timing marks on the cams sprockets with white paint before I took the original belt off. I made sure that the front cam was at first piston top dead center, front and back marks aligning.
Should I assume that because this is a V-6 that the crank shaft will turn one revolution for everyone third of a revolution of the camshafts? Or more clearly for every one revolution of the camshaft the crankshaft turns three revolutions?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No! o_O
No matter if this is a 1/2/4/6/8/12 cylinder motor, these are all 4 stroke or 4 cycle engines! :unsure: So 2 revolutions of the crankshaft are required to revolve the cams 1 full revolution! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, so I’ve got a 50/50 chance of being correct on timing the first go around! Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the clatter you heard, was it the valves hitting a piston?

The tensioner should not need to be bled! It can be reset into its installation position for reuse, if it is forced, it can be damaged, it should go in slow and be hard with a vise Sounds like the tensioner is no good.

the engine should be turned counter clockwise, the tensioner is at the back. There is a tic mark on the crank and cams, if your watching the front cam mark you can be wrong because there is one at 180’, make sure both cams and crank line up!
It’s not 50/50 chance... it will work 100% when done properly with quality parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first time I started the motor after installing the new belt and tensioner the timing marks were all correct. The motor started easily and about 30 seconds after I started it I began to hear some clatter and I put a screwdriver to the tension pulley and that seemed to be the source of it.

I can’t speak to whether the tensioner should require bleeding or not I was just going on what the Gates tech suggested. I clamped a woodworking pipe clamp into my vise, put the tensioner in vertically and compressed the piston slowly three times as per his instructions.

With regard to the timing marks on the cam sprockets mine have the numbers one through six at intervals around the sprocket, the number one corresponding to top dead centre for piston one. There were similar markings on the rear sprocket as well and I had aligned them all the first time around. The problem wasn’t the timing marks, the problem was I went out Friday night and had a couple of beers and Saturday morning forgot that the timing belt needed to be tight before I tried to check that all the marks were good.

what I’m most concerned about is that the crank is not in the correct position relative to the cam sprockets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see. There is a timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket, It should be in the 1-2o’clock position. There is a corresponding mark on the block with a very small arrow.

use the crank pulley bolt in the crankshaft to turn the crank, this will be much easier with the plugs removed. Once the crank is lined up confirm the cams are lined up! When turning turn counterclockwise

·
Registered
279 Posts
Counterclockwise? I always turn in the direction the engine runs (clockwise for our cars and most others)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The question remains, even if the crank sprocket is on its mark, the crank could be one full revolution out of sync with the cams. I could throw the belt on and start it to see if all is in sync, I'm just looking for a more definitive method of testing...maybe take out a spark plug to see where #1 piston is? Are my thoughts on this unnecessary - maybe it doesn't matter if the crank is one revolution away from the cams?

·
Registered
5 Posts
CLOCKWISE. it was the civic that went backwards...sorry!

If your crank and cams are in the proper location the engine will be timed properly, It is the pulley size that causes the crank to rotate 2X when the is turning once.

1/2 turn of cam is 1 turn of the crank ( with the belt installed)

Locate your timing mark on the crank sprocket. If the belt is off you can rotate the crank off tdc ( by turning crank a quarter turn, this will make the pistons not touch the valves.

bring both cams to TDC.( the proper timing marks) then bring the crank back to to TDC.

THIS WILL GO MUCH EASIER WITH PLUGS REMOVED.... you don’t want the cams to move after

Install the belt with all slack at the tensioner. Pull the pin and rotate the crank a few times. Clockwise!

turn it by hand and confirm timing marks are still proper. If the timing is completely off damage can be come to the valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts