Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Odyssey about one year ago I wasn't satisfied with the maximum height for the head rests. I'm 6 feet tall (=1.84 m) but I have a very long back (and therefore shorter legs :( ) than the average person / car buyer.
After looking around I figured out that the MDX front seat head rests are fitting nicely with my Odyssey '03 front seats. Those head rests give you about one inch (!) more support since they are in total higher than the genuine Honda counterpart. The MDX head rests are always leather and were available in three colors: black, gray and sand. List price was 130$ each but I got mine for 170$ a pair (thanks to my dealer :bow: )
Needless to say that those MDX head rests are officially not permitted in an Odyssey :no: . However, I personally feel safer with a non-permitted head rests based on the same seat frame and with sufficient support than with a genuine head rest and insufficient support.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You have violated Newbie resolution 8a! DON'T let it happen again! :stupid:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
??? :confused:
Are you referring to pictures? I just organized a digital camera and will post pictures soon.
Or is there something else I have missed?

(Isn't there a newbie protection act 3: "be patient with newbies" and another newbie protection act 7: "be precise in your replies to newbies"?) :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
8a. If you install some hot new accessory or electronics item, we DON'T want to read about it, we want PICS!
;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here are the pics...

Here are the (insistently demanded ;) ) pictures of MDX headrests in a 03' Odyssey (front seats). As you can see they fit even nicely with cloth interior.

This picture shows the comparison of both, the genuine Odyssey front seat headrest (left) and the MDX headrest (right). The difference in support is really significant.

I haven't figured out yet why those MDX headrests are not officially permitted in an Odyssey (this is a Honda dealer information). They fit perfectly and the length of the bars is exactly the same. Therefore I can hardly imagine a difference in impact force if mounted in a MDX or in an Odyssey. I can just guess that you might need a certain distance between the headrest top and the roof?

For faster loading times I have limited the pictures above to about 21k each. If you want to see the first picture a little bigger, please take a look at the attachment (58k).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guessing why you won't hear Honda touting the MDX headrests

STM said:
I haven't figured out yet why those MDX headrests are not officially permitted in an Odyssey (this is a Honda dealer information). They fit perfectly and the length of the bars is exactly the same. Therefore I can hardly imagine a difference in impact force if mounted in a MDX or in an Odyssey.
I'm REALLY interested to have read this post, as both my husband and I find the headrests lower than ideal. Thanks for the tip.

As for your wondering why Honda doesn't officially permit it, I speculate liability. No legal department employee is ever going to tell Honda to go ahead and officially promote substituting an important crash-protection element with anything that wasn't used in the actual crash testing of the vehicle, right?

Given they are also Honda-made, same style and width of posts, etc I would feel safe using them, too. But I don't think the company could expose themselves to the possible liability of recommending that an untested change like that be made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts