Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned Im missing a sensor monitor in my rear tire thus throwing the dash "TPMS" light. Is this something I can install as a home mechanic? I mean does it take any special tools or any special calibrating?

Secondly, any idea what a sensor unit would cost? I have not reached out to my dealer yet to get a quote.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
You may be able to install the sensor but you need a programming device like an Autel TS508 to prgram the new sensor to the ECU.

You need to do a LOT of homework. Start by searching TPMS and read up. :D

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
For one tire, I would absolutely take it to a tire shop and let them do it. I think the tools and time needed for this are too much to make a DIY worth your effort. You'll be in and out of a decent tire shop in less than an hour for probably under $100. The sensor itself is probably in the neighbourhood of $30-ish and then whatever the shop charges to dismount and remount a tire. It is not necessary to go to a Honda dealership for this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was definitely procrastinatng going to the dealership. For whatever reason I was thinking a diy home fix then was thinking dealing with sensors was way above my head and tool kit. Thanks for the input

S

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually shop a chain like Discount Tire when purchase tires. Wonder if they do something like this. Not sure I trust them. I'll probably hit up my local mechanic.

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
I usually shop a chain like Discount Tire when purchase tires. Wonder if they do something like this. Not sure I trust them. I'll probably hit up my local mechanic.
They charge $60 a corner (on top of their mounting/balancing fees) when you buy new tires to replace and program the sensor(s). They may just do it for that normal $60 for that one tire. BUT. The life of the sensor batteries is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 - 10 years. If one died and was removed, odds are that the other ones aren't too far and you likely don't know the status of the rest of them with that TPMS light ON.

All of this has been discussed here more than once in several threads. :)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
if you buy a cloneable tpms sensor, you can have it programmed to the original id of the missing one in the PCM.
assuming someone swapped the wheel, and the old one is no more.

a shop or DIY can install a new sensor by simply breaking the tire bead, and wedging something (hard rubber) between the bead and tire to install the new one.
literally did this on my 2011TE when all of the existing tpms needed seal kits.

thus saving you a mount and balance charge.

I absolutely hate the tech, its a useless expense for owners, more so for people who swap winter tires and rims.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I absolutely hate the tech, its a useless expense for owners, more so for people who swap winter tires and rims.
Testify brother! 🙌

TPMS is by idiots, for idiots.

The rest of us who have eyes and a tire pressure gauge simply have to find a way to live alongside it as cheaply and inobtrusively as possible.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,447 Posts
If my tire pressure is low I can usually figure it out just by driving on it...

A few weeks ago I noticed the tires on my Accord were feeling a little soft, so i went over to Costco to air them up. Sure enough, the warm pressures were at 30 when the cold spec is supposed to be 32. Probably because of the amount of regular air in there. I never have this issue when I air up with nitrogen (which is why I went all the way to Costco to air up), but since I got this car used, the tires were filled with air.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If my tire pressure is low I can usually figure it out just by driving on it...

A few weeks ago I noticed the tires on my Accord were feeling a little soft, so i went over to Costco to air them up. Sure enough, the warm pressures were at 30 when the cold spec is supposed to be 32. Probably because of the amount of regular air in there. I never have this issue when I air up with nitrogen (which is why I went all the way to Costco to air up), but since I got this car used, the tires were filled with air.
apparently nitrogen fillups, are free now for members at the filler station.
guess the tire centres got fedup topping up for members.

Im still a knuckle head and use air, even with a costco membership.

The only time I would appreciate using nitrogen, is when the temp drops below 32F, and the tpms sensors moan about the 1-2psi drop.
which equates to about week or two before the winter tires and rims get installed.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,447 Posts
apparently nitrogen fillups, are free now for members at the filler station.
They've always been free. The only difference is before you had to drive by the tire installation bay and ask one of the techs to do it for you.

My theory is some modern day neo-feminist got mad that they couldn't do it themself and bullied Costco into adding self-service stations...

When I use only nitrogen in the tire, I can drive on the tires for months and months and the PSI will go down maybe 1 or 2 at most from the spec. It holds very well. Air goes down significantly more in comparison. There's always a lot of debate over air vs nitrogen but in my experience, nitrogen has been the clear winner.

But unfortunately other places like Discount Tire don't do this, so when I got new tires on my Ody from them, it was filled with air. Slowly I've been purging air and filling it back up with nitrogen, but it will likely never be purely nitrogen unless I jack it up, expel all the air, and air it back up with nitrogen.

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
Slowly I've been purging air and filling it back up with nitrogen, but it will likely never be purely nitrogen unless I jack it up, expel all the air, and air it back up with nitrogen.
3x Drain and fill of nitrogen should dilute the air in the tire enough. :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
My theory is some modern day neo-feminist got mad that they couldn't do it themself and bullied Costco into adding self-service stations...
I was never opposed to using Nitrogen but I am too cheap to PAY for it. How exactly does this work at Costco? Now, they have a fill hose which you can use/operate on your own? If yes, I may take a friend with his Costco card and drive by times 3 for each of the car(s). :D

• Haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im a guy who always has a pressure gauge handy. The TPMS has always been a just a pain and usually I just let the light roll and just ignore it.

Now the nitrogen topic is something I do not use. Im not sure its super available in my area. Or it may be and Im not aware. No Costco around these parts. Ill have to start snooping around and find out. My past experiences with nitro have been great. Less chirping at me!

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
Im a guy who always has a pressure gauge handy. The TPMS has always been a just a pain and usually I just let the light roll and just ignore it.
Well. Then, the TPMS light should be par for the course for you I suppose. You can continue ignoring it.

That said, if/when the TPMS light is ON, you cannot disable VSA and if you live in snow country, you sometimes would need to disable VSA to get out of parking from a snowy/icy spot or go up a hilly drive way. As long as you are aware of that pitfall, you can ignore the light and ensure the tire pressures in all 4 tires are OK and all should be well.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Over all these years, since my '70 Super Beetle and servicing Dad's cars, I've been happy with using only 78% Nitrogen in my tires! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,447 Posts
I was never opposed to using Nitrogen but I am too cheap to PAY for it. How exactly does this work at Costco? Now, they have a fill hose which you can use/operate on your own? If yes, I may take a friend with his Costco card and drive by times 3 for each of the car(s). :D
In the past you had to ask one of the tire techs in the installation bay and they'd do it, but now they have a couple parking spaces with self-service pump stations with nitrogen.

You likely don't even need a friend. There's no verification of membership or anything, there never has been, even when you asked the techs to do it. You just go, set the desired PSI on the machine, and put the hose into the valve stem. It inflates, beeps when the selected PSI is reached, and that's it.

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
In the past you had to ask one of the tire techs in the installation bay and they'd do it, but now they have a couple parking spaces with self-service pump stations with nitrogen.

You likely don't even need a friend. There's no verification of membership or anything, there never has been, even when you asked the techs to do it. You just go, set the desired PSI on the machine, and put the hose into the valve stem. It inflates, beeps when the selected PSI is reached, and that's it.
Nice. So, I may go there, let all the air out of each wheel and fill it with Nitrogen then. There is a Costco fairly close to my work. It is a zoo there all the time however.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Nice. So, I may go there, let all the air out of each wheel and fill it with Nitrogen then. There is a Costco fairly close to my work. It is a zoo there all the time however.
+1 on the zoo, I never go there unless it's absolutely necessary.

Friends in Japan, visiting a costco is a day event, everyone herded like cattle from the parking lot to the cash registers.

NO THANKS.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts