Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 EX - 6,000K miles -- filled the rear passenger tire twice in the last two weeks - over the phone the dealer says it's a slow leak in the tire - should be replaced but my mechanic friend says the 99-2001 Ody's have had wheel problems/holding air. Has anyone heard about/experienced this?

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abear:
2001 EX - 6,000K miles -- filled the rear passenger tire twice in the last two weeks - over the phone the dealer says it's a slow leak in the tire - should be replaced but my mechanic friend says the 99-2001 Ody's have had wheel problems/holding air. Has anyone heard about/experienced this? </font>
I recall someone over at the Yahoo club mentioning his Firestone tires on his LX had trouble holding consistant air pressure. Haven't heard anything about the EX michelins.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one tire that is driving me crazy was going to have it checked out when they replace my windshield. Every three days I have to add about 5 lbs thought it might be a bad shrader valve, only started a week ago no nails that I can see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
2001 EX, 17,000 miles and no problems with tires losing air-except when I have it serviced. They always let air out of the tires for some reason. I inflate them to 35 cold, then they reducce them to 32 hot which brings them down to about 28 cold. Anyone know what the pressure recommended for an Accord is? I can tell the difference the minute I leave the dealer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, the tire pressures always get messed up when a shop services the vehicles. You cannot get a good cold tire pressure check when the vehicle is only in the shop for a few minutes and was probably driven some distance to get there. Tire pressure should be an owner-at-home item, since that is the only place it can be properly done.

Imagine how many Phord Exploders have been sent out after having their warm tires reset at the recommended 26 psi by a dealer's service guy. When they cool, they are probably lucky to have 23-24 psi in them. On down the road on a hot day, that could be cause for the "big bang".

I'll check my own pressures (I do it once a week) and sleep well. I have the Michelin XGT H4s on mine and in the eight months I have had them, I have noticed that they hold air better than any tires I have ever had. I'll bet I have only ever added air about twice (and then only 1-2 psi) in all that time. Those who need air even monthly must have some foreign item in the tire or a wheel with some porosity. I would take those to a tire guy and have him "tank" the tire and wheel and see where the bubbles are coming from.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jerry O. The Ford Explorer scenario is a good one.
I went to one of the discount tire stores to get 4 new tires for my travel trailer. I asked that they be inflated to 50 lbs. When they got thru-and before I left-I checked the tire pressures and they were 32 lbs. I called this to the attention of the person who mounted the tires and he said that that was what their air pressure was regulated at and they couldn't raise it. I mentioned that they sold light truck tires too, and asked if that was all they inflated them to. He said "yup". I asked to speak to the manager. He reiterated what the tire tech said. I asked if that was all the air pressure their impact wrenches used. He said he didn't know.

I snatched an impact wrench off the floor, removed the wrench, put on the air chuck, and proceeded to inflate my tire to 50 lbs. The manager was impressed and called his techs. over to show them. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. (I chased the line to the impact wrench out and it came off before the regulator).I wonder how many tires went out of that place underinflated.

Regards
AL

·
Registered
564 Posts
Al-

Jeez, that just scares me. I wonder if maybe they could just give the regulator a spin to increase the pressure at their tire chuck? Any of them tire-wizards think of that?

I had two very new tires on the front of my truck, and two old ones on the rear when I went in with a flat (in an old rear one). I asked to have both rear tires replaced since it was about time anyway. They'd just stopped making the tires I had on the front, so front and rear would be slightly different designs. No biggie, but I pointed it out so they wouldn't be rotated side-to-side. I get back and have one type of tire on the right side and one type of tire on the left. "That's the way you're supposed to rotate them now" is of course the answer I got.

I seriously need to look into getting my own lift.

But, back on subject...I agree that there is something wrong with any tire/wheel combination that requires air that often...

Tires will always leak slowly (rubber is not air-tight, but it is a long, slow process to shove those little air molecules through the thick rubber membrane) but should never lose air that fast.

- Darell

·
Registered
215 Posts
Darelldd- That was a beaut!!! LOL I can't recall if the regulator was adjustable. Most are, but if you've watched these guys, they just clip the chuck onto the tire and walk away from it. If they were adjustable and set for 60-80 lbs, (which is where I keep my truck tires)and they forgot to reset the regulator,they might wind up wearing a passenger car tire now and then.
PS-check your rims carefully after a tire remount etc. Sams Club damaged (and replaced) all 4 of my alum. truck rims. They didn't remove the weights before they removed the tires and spun the weights around the rims. The machine also gouged the rims. They now supposedly have "no touch" machines. It doesn't matter, I won't let them touch them again. They first attempted to get me to settle for some aftermarket rims. I checked with the rim manufacturer and the aftermarket rims were rated at 2500 lbs ea. and the factory rims were rated at 3050 ea. They replaced them with factory. (Used but undamaged)
Oh yeah, one last thing. The tech at Sams was laying under my truck beating the inside of my rear tire with a sledge hammer. Sometimes the rears are a little sticky so I went into the forbidden area to see if I could assist. Glad I did. One of the lug nuts was still on.
Sometimes I think the reason your are "forbidden from entering for insurance purposes" is because they want to ensure you don't see what they are (or are not) doing.

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Al -

Oh man. That just makes my head hurt...they left a nut on?! Oh, the humanity. But it sounds all too familiar. We sound a bit like kindered spirits.

I don't know how many times I've stressed to tire guys that I do not want my rims scratched. After swearing up and down that they do 50 alloy rims for every steel rim, and that all their equipment is covered with little nylon condoms, I let them go at it. Then I stand and watch in horror as they toss the metal air chuck on the clear-coated surface of the wheel, or bang the impact wrench just a little off from the nut hole, or...well you know the drill. One time they dragged the air hose across my hood to get to the other side. Ooooo. I just about jumped out of my socks. They have those big windows up there so you can view the quality work.....

Now, I've gotta quit dragging this thread off-topic and go check the status of your cross-bar up-lift-with-cargo-box deal. That one bugs me in a big way too!

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
865 Posts
albaby

I too have the similar experiences at Discount Tires. The past few months I have purchased serveral sets (of 4) of passenger tires. In each occasion, I found all four tires at 25-27 psi one month later even though I specifically requested 35 psi at the store. This happens on every vehicle since I check tire pressure monthly. Normally, I only lose 5-10 psi per month. The next time I will recheck the pressure the next day morning.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have made it a rule to recheck the air pressures and wheel lug torque the next day. That way, I know what's what with the "rubber side".

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
I often check those items before I leave the parking lot. It has paid off too. One time, all five chrome nuts were replaced with rusty old ones on one of my wheels. Couldn't believe it. Somebody was just swiping them!

"Don't know how that could have happened sir. Are these the ones here in my tool chest?"

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has anyone had the tire pressure/temp gauge installed? I think it works from infra-red beams. Basically, each rim has a sensor and the gauge is mounted on the ody dash and it gives a read out of all wheels. It tells the temp and pressure. This way, you always know what the pressure is.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Tire Rack has tire pressure sensors, which are installed on the wheel inside the tires. I have never heard of a tire temperature sensor for road car use. Please explain.....

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jerry O

Seat Comfort systems installed some after- market items on my 2001 Ody and among the items for sale was a system that showed the tire pressure and temperature. There were sensors mounted inside the rims and a small gauge/screen would be mounted on the dashboard of the Ody. The installer had one in his Ody and showed me how it worked. It looked pretty good but I did not get it installed as I had already spent $1,000 on other goodies. The system also had alarms that would warn if the pressure was too low or the temp was too high. Call Rick Walterson at 949-395-1282 as he had it in his Ody.

Let me know what you think as I am thinking of getting it installed.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

1 - 15 of 15 Posts