Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to get an electric tire inflator for my 2010 ODY that can use the accessory (nee cigarette lighter) outlet for power. It would be for emergency use. I have a regular compressor for home use. I've read that some pumps draw too much current for the the accessory outlet in some cars, and that the pumps blow the fuse to the outlet. Can anyone recommend a pump that works well in an ODY and seems to be well built? Thanks much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the reply. I watched the Project Farm tire pump youtube and like the Harbor Freight pump but the Project Farm guy found it uses 140 Watts and the Odyssey manual says to not use anything that uses over 120 watts. Will the Odyssey actually handle 140 Watts without blowing a fuse even though it's only specd for 120 watts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went back and watched the PF video again.

Power consumption is a function of load, the peak consumption of the unit isn't necessarily the power draw it will need to inflate your tires. For example, the Pittsburgh unit linked above might have a peak power consumption of 140w,but it almost certainly draws much less power at only 40psi.

It's not clear in the PF video if the power consumption is measured at low pressure or higher pressure?

Personally, I would risk the Pittsburgh unit. It's likely to work fine in terms of power draw and it's reasonably priced.

10a is a lot of current for common automotive wiring, but I assure you the 120W rating Honda gives is fairly conservative and the worst case you're likely to experience is a blown fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back and watched the PF video again.

Power consumption is a function of load, the peak consumption of the unit isn't necessarily the power draw it will need to inflate your tires. For example, the Pittsburgh unit linked above might have a peak power consumption of 140w,but it almost certainly draws much less power at only 40psi.

It's not clear in the PF video if the power consumption is measured at low pressure or higher pressure?

Personally, I would risk the Pittsburgh unit. It's likely to work fine in terms of power draw and it's reasonably priced.

10a is a lot of current for common automotive wiring, but I assure you the 120W rating Honda gives is fairly conservative and the worst case you're likely to experience is a blown fuse.
Hohn,
Thanks much for the reply and information -- much appreciated. -- Steven

·
Registered
76 Posts
Use the pump when the car is running. That way the alternator has the voltage at 14volts (instead of 12v when the car is off). 14 volts x 10A fuse = 140 watts

I think you'll be fine either way, honestly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use the pump when the car is running. That way the alternator has the voltage at 14volts (instead of 12v when the car is off). 14 volts x 10A fuse = 140 watts

I think you'll be fine either way, honestly.
I just looked at the accessory fuse value for the my 2010 Ody and it's 15A. So, if I have this right, at 12V the fuse could handle up to 180 W. Honda is either being very conservative or is allowing some capacity for the momentary higher current draw when electric motors start up, or it's saying that the wiring isn't rated for more than 120W. Anyway, you make a good point and I'll probably just try it out at home and have a spare fuse on hand just in case. Thanks much. -- Steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts