Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have read or people have told me in the past that for a FWD (let's use Ody for example), it is better to have the tire with deeper treads (more meat) to be in the front because the weight is all up front, the front turns, and FWD. Better traction.

One person told me that the better tire should go in the back. Because fishtailing can be a bigger issue, the better tires in the rear will help control that.

What do you guys think? And would the rules be different on an Odyssey?

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I have to ask. Do you ever search? Every single question you have winds up being a new thread. Anything wrong with posting in existing threads on the subject?

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
The front tires do the steering and most of the braking, so that's where I would put the better tires. But I still want good tires on the rear. Hydroplaning on a rain-soaked highway can cause fishtailing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starting out with 4 new tires: if you rotate tires every (other) oil change, your treadwear should be evenly distributed and which tires go on which axle is a moot point :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Starting out with 4 new tires: if you rotate tires every (other) oil change, your treadwear should be evenly distributed and which tires go on which axle is a moot point :)
I do exactly that, and it does not come out that way. I use the MM to tell me when to change my oil which is about 7,500 miles. So I rotate my tires about once every 15,000+ miles. Yes, that's longer than what the tire shop wants me to do it at every 5,000 miles. But either case, that's how they are, so that what I have until I get a new set.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So start rotating EVERY oil change , rotating sooner does NO harm, only harm would be if your shop charges. Our shop offers lifetime n/c rotations, max 3 per yr

On a Van I'd recommend any tire with less than 5/32 should be replaced.

Tires on the front of a FWD will wear faster than rear under normal driving conditions, also tires on any front will wear on the edges from steering turning

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a mechanic, i've always rotated the best tires to the front due to obvious reasons such as the needed traction for braking and steering and hydroplaning, etc. I have seen other shops ( America's Tires for example) that have a written policy to install newer tires in the rear to reduce the likelihood of fishtailing around turns. With that, you'll be hearing arguments for both sides of the coin.
For me personally, i rotate tires of all my vehicles every other oil change, keep my vehicles properly aligned, and religiously check my tire pressures- so their wear rates are pretty much even across the board leaving me with no worries as far as which tires goes wear.

JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts