Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 07 exl [23000 miles] in to my honda dealer for oil change and summer wheel change over , rotation and balance { wheels change over, do it my self other times but had operation] so told them to do it . later at end of service of oil change and wheel change over done and thay put best tires on front , tech said this is the way thay do it, is this right ?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I took my Odyssey into my tire shop and asked for balancing and rotation, they didn't rotate because the best tires were on the front.

I had low tire pressure so the rears ended up wearing more than the front. First time I've ever had that happen.

Also could be on a FWD vehicle you're supposed to smoke the front tires and wear them down more than the rears. Not that I really do a lot of tire chirping, or smoking for that matter.

I suspect it's standard procedure to have the best tires on front of a FWD vehicle. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
954 Posts
On FWD, the front tires do all of the acceleration and the large majority of braking, thus they wear faster. The idea is to balance the wear such that all 4 tires wear out at the same time and then get a full new set.

Regular tire maintenance (balancing, alignment, rotation, inflation) pays dividends in tire life, fuel economy, safety, handling and ride quality.

·
Registered
598 Posts
How often (mileage) do you rotate the tires ??? i normally do every 6k miles. Any other suggestions???

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do the rotation at 6000 miles but I rotate , always check for uneven or any cuts, on any car I have owned for years.[ have had front wheel cars & vans] and dealer ans. was new to me!

·
Registered
598 Posts
nomorechryslers said:
I do the rotation at 6000 miles but I rotate , always check for uneven or any cuts, on any car I have owned for years.[ have had front wheel cars & vans] and dealer ans. was new to me!
I do the same_ one minute the tires are ok, the next one has a screw and slowly pulling air making uneven thread wear. GA$ mILEAGE!!!

> yEAH, I've never heard of sucha thing at a dealer/Honda Center

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
nomorechryslers said:
took my 07 exl [23000 miles] in to my honda dealer for oil change and summer wheel change over , rotation and balance { wheels change over, do it my self other times but had operation] so told them to do it . later at end of service of oil change and wheel change over done and thay put best tires on front , tech said this is the way thay do it, is this right ?
This is why tire rotation is important. The best tires, if there is a big difference, should always be on the rear end (you can look it up). If you do faithful rotations, there will not be much difference in the tires and the whole set will wear out at the same time. "Best tires on the front" is an old concept which does not apply to today's vehicles which are quite front heavy and prone to hydroplane in the rear first, causing a very difficult handling problem, i.e. a spin-out. Deeper tread tires in the rear will help overcome that tendency.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is this something thats good to only get done at the dealer with having PAX tires?

Or is Wal Mart ok to handle this type of stuff?

E

·
0 Posts
bls8195 said:
Is this something thats good to only get done at the dealer with having PAX tires?

rotating them should be fine...

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
It's really important to torque the lug nut/bolts correctly on a Honda. So some care should be taken on who and where rotation gets done. Pax really does not effect this. (except they are a little heavy to do at home)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Balance In Addition to Rotate?

My Honda dealer has always recommended just a rotation and not a balance. Today, I dropped the 2006 EX-L off, and they recommended an alignment because the left front tire had toe wear whereas the other tires did not.

I asked about the balance, and they said rotate should be enough. Whenever I've purchased tires for other vehicles at Goodyear, they rotate & balance ever time.

When is balancing necessary? Is it necessary at every rotation?

-----------------------------------------------------------
2006 Odyssey EX-L Redrock Pearl
2008 Acura TSX Milano Red

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
bls8195 said:

Does your Wally World use torque wrenches tightening lugs...critical to preventing warpage to rotors.

And make sure they use the proper settings as aluminum wheels are much less than steel.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Re: Balance In Addition to Rotate?

kjhighball said:
My Honda dealer has always recommended just a rotation and not a balance. Today, I dropped the 2006 EX-L off, and they recommended an alignment because the left front tire had toe wear whereas the other tires did not.

I asked about the balance, and they said rotate should be enough. Whenever I've purchased tires for other vehicles at Goodyear, they rotate & balance ever time.

When is balancing necessary? Is it necessary at every rotation?

-----------------------------------------------------------
2006 Odyssey EX-L Redrock Pearl
2008 Acura TSX Milano Red
Technically if the tire/wheel is dynamically balanced independent of the rotating mass on the vehicle, re-balancing should not be necessary.

OTOH, our Costco always rebalances with each rotation. Go figure?

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
egads said:
It's really important to torque the lug nut/bolts correctly on a Honda. So some care should be taken on who and where rotation gets done. Pax really does not effect this. (except they are a little heavy to do at home)
A little heavy? The few times I've rotated at home, tire weight was inconsequential. Trick is to raise tire till it just clears pavement minimizing tire lifting. Then it is quite simple to ease off the axle and ROLL it to the next location.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
My rule of thumb is: If it is not vibrating, don't mess with the balance. When a fresh balance is done, there is always a chance that the new setup will not be as smooth as it was before they began (Elmer's law of unintended consequences):( I always do the rotation first and drive the vehicle to see if any new vibrations are present. The wheels/tires will let you know if they need such attention. Also, I do not have an alignment done unless there is evidence of improper wear. Again, you can end up with a problem where you did not have one before if you mess with a properly aligned chassis.

Jerry O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts