Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
"Radial tires can develop a kinecity pull if rotated exactly like the manual states."

I wonder, what is his authority for the "kinecity pull?"

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I, too, keep the tires on the same side, unless I HAVE a pull or thump. In those cases, I have had some success if the rotation is changed. In my mind, it just seems best to keep the tire rotating in the same direction. :rolleyes:

Jerry O.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To Rotate or Not To Rotate

There is an interesting post at the link indicated above: dealmac.com by Lope. It reads as follows:

"when the fronts need replacing, I replace them, etc. In this way, I get to buy 2 tires at a time instead of four, which method's purpose is to serve as a wallet rotation. Rotating tires is a waste of time and money, in my book; buying 4 tires at once hurts."

Lope calls into question the value of tire rotation. I rotate my tires, but I have often shared Lope's thoughts. Anybody have any thoughts on this matter? What are the pro's and con's of tire rotation?

Thanks,

Cauchy:cool:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't rotate. My formative years were spent in the UK where tire rotation is not commonly performed so I don't do it. However I have thought long and hard about the arguments for doing it, in particular you don't want the vehicle to have more grip at one end or the other particularly in low friction conditions. FWIW in Canada a tire centre may not fit two new tires to the front wheels of a vehicle if you are replacing only two.

·
0 Posts
I rotate. I'm used to same side rotations from running directional tires. Although the Michelins are not directional, I will stay with same side rotations unless there are funky wear patterns. Then I might X-rotate. I like to buy tires in sets of four. Besides, I do it myself so it doesn't cost me anything:D . And pulling the wheels every now and then allows me a chance to check the brakes as well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Rotating is just smart. If you want your tires to last as long as possible, you want them to wear evenly. Each location causes its own wear pattern, and so you don't want to leave the same tire in the same location forever... you will end up with uneven wear- some of the tire will be gone and the rest will be great. That is a total waste.

the best rotation pattern is the 5-wheel rotation... it makes the tires all last 20% longer. The only problem is that you really need to have a real wheel like the others... my dealership wouldn't touch my full size spare... what a waste. If I was able to do the 5-tire rotation, I would have not needed to buy tires on this leased Durango.

Can't wait to get an Ody. RRP

·
Registered
111 Posts
02-RRP-EX said:
I rotate. I'm used to same side rotations from running directional tires. Although the Michelins are not directional, I will stay with same side rotations unless there are funky wear patterns. Then I might X-rotate. I like to buy tires in sets of four. Besides, I do it myself so it doesn't cost me anything:D . And pulling the wheels every now and then allows me a chance to check the brakes as well.
DITTO:D

W

·
0 Posts
Phace said:
Rotating is just smart. If you want your tires to last as long as possible, you want them to wear evenly. Each location causes its own wear pattern, and so you don't want to leave the same tire in the same location forever... you will end up with uneven wear- some of the tire will be gone and the rest will be great. That is a total waste.
I agree.

In addition, I've seen two or three incidents on the track where a person will have bought a set of tires but the handling will be off turning a particular direction. In each case, it was due to one tire being older than another, meaning that it sat unused for longer than the other three. Invariably, the older tire would have less grip.

The worse case was with Dunlop SP2000's, which were being phased out and so were on sale for very cheap near the end of its production life. One person ordered a set and had horrid understeer turning left, but very neutral handling turning right. After a track session, he had his car looked at by several alignment and suspension shops, each reporting that everything was fine.

The next track session, the tires were rotated front to rear, and he had a very tail happy car turning left.

Finally, after examining the code showing the week and year of manufacture of the tire, it was determined that that one particular tire was about two years older than the others. It was returned and replaced by an identical model tire, which evened out the handling of the car.

There was nothing in regular driving of the car that indicated at-the-limit handling would be so varied.

Ever since that time, I've always made it a habit to replace all four at any one time, and to check to make sure that any four tires I get are manufacturered at roughly the same time. I would hate to find out differently when I had to make an emergency maneuver!

Wayne Lim

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Sure, if those rear tires are twice as old as the fronts, they will be heat hardened and have a much different bite on the road. If you do the two tire thing, be sure to put the new ones on the rear, since we know that the rear hydroplanes first and causes a loss of control which is very hard to overcome. I like four new ones at a time and also like to get a look at the brakes often, so rotation is on my program.

Jerry O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts