Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the posts and I just want to confirm something. I have a '01 GG EX which came with Michelin Symmetry in size 215/65-16. Will a 235/60-16 fit on the stock rims to replace these tires? I wouldn't have replaced the tires but somehow ran over a BOLT which caused a hole that couldn't be repaired so I've decided to replace 2 tires to keep from having mismatched tires. Unfortunatly, I had to make the buying decision under pressure since we were on our way out of town. I didn't have time to do the proper research that I normally do on a purchase of this type. I didn't find any places in the phone book that stocked this size in the Michelin Symmetry so I was convinced to try a Bridgestone with a 30 day ride guarantee. (Little did I know that Walmart had the Symmetry in stock for $85 - but they wouldn't answer the damned phone when I called). So when I limped in on my donut, I guess the guy saw dollar signs. He conveniently didn't have the Bridgestone he mentioned($85 each) on the phone in my size but for $100 a piece he said he had some Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Not having a way to check pricing I said "Put em on". (Later found out they were $55 tires). On the road, discovered they were loud and caused the steering to shimmy at around 80 mph. A week later, called him to take advantage of the 30 day ride deal and wanted to switch back to Symmetry...could he order me some? He called back and said they were on backorder but he could get me some MX4s for $139 each...($87 more out of my pocket for 2) I asked how much the Symmetrys would be if I waited...he said $139....Damn I hate getting ripped off. I suggested that he buy back the tires from me for $80 each and I go somewhere else that has Symmetrys in stock. That gives him about $60 profit for 2 weeks of use. He said he couldn't do it so now I'm stuck. Hey, sorry about the length of this story...it's one of those lessons learned kind of things...In any case, having the availability of another size might give me a few more options. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

------------------
BobbyC

'01 GG EX

·
Registered
286 Posts
You will find a lot of discussion on this elswhere in this group if you search. Summarizing what I think I have learned, you can use either 225/60-16 or 235/60-16 tires. The 225 will be a little smaller in diameter and thus give speedometer error. The 235 will have more load capacity than required. The stock wheels meet the minimum width requirements for these tires, though they would prefer a little wider wheel for optimum performance.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the Michelin XGT-H4s in the 235/60HR-16 size on my Odyssey and they have been fine. They are fairly noisy (what is not on an Odyssey) and you might want to consider the MXV4s in the same size, if you are bothered by noise. Notice, that the MXV4 is not the same tire as the MX4 you mentioned. That is a lower performance tire.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
BobbyC-sorry to hear about your tire mis-adventure! Yeah, you got taken alright-$100 for a Uniroyal Tiger Paw
I had those on my '66 Mustang about 30 years ago (I'm sure they've improved them over the years!) The stock size Michelin Symmetry can be had for around $90 or so- NOT $139. That's a rip-off plain and simple IMO. My new Dunlop Sport A2 17" tires weren't even that much and they are much higher perf. tires than Symmetrys!
A real good place (beside Odyclub) to learn about tires-sizes, tech stuff, owner surveys etc.- is www.tirerack.com
You can compare the specs of different size tires and brands and see what other drivers like too.
In 235/60 16 for example, you have a choice in high perf. all season tires of Dunlop Sport A2 (my choice), Michelin XGT H4, and Yokohama Avid V4-all good tires which will work on a stock (6.5" width) rim, although a 7" would be ideal IMO. There may be other tires in this size too of course, so check around in the catagory that suits your purpose. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts