Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tire spray. Nothing with silicone and nothing that leaves a high gloss. Just a product that cleans the tire up. I like the sounds of the Zaino spray but it seems expensive. I looked at Vinylex on their website but it states that their product contains silicone. Does anybody have a product that they like which is available at an automotive store?

Thanks for the help

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

[This message has been edited by cwneed (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got some Mequiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel as a gift. It is a low gloss product which looks nice. Not shiny at all and it dries quickly so there is no splash off.

Plus it smells pretty good too!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've used No Touch for a few years and was never quite happy with it, but nothing else I'd seen or tried looked any better, just usually worse. Then, one day I tried applying it by spraying it on a sponge and then using the sponge to put it on the tire. What a difference! If you like a smooth satiny finish (I HATE shiny greasy looking tires!) give this a try. Also, for some reason, it seems to maintain the finish a lot longer than what you get by spraying directly on the tire.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I've used No Touch for years and have had no regrets. Here's my system:
1 coat of regular No Touch wiped on. Dried for about 30 mins. Then 1 coat of No Touch Wet N' Protect. Doesn't look greasy, dirt doesn't stick much.After 2 weeks it's still shiny.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was VERY surprised to learn (from Meguiar's) that their tire gel products contain petroleum products. The tire makers really frown upon the use of anything with petroleum in it. Michelin will not honor the warranty on any tires which have been treated with such products. I use 303 protectant on mine and the look is just nice and black. Of course, it is not a cleaner and must be applied to a clean tire. As far as application goes, I have yet to discover anything which works better than a nice old sock pulled over the hand. You can spray the protectant onto the sock and you will be surprised how far a bottle goes. Also, NO OVERSPRAY on anything!!!!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I use 303 protectant on mine and the look is just nice and black. Of course, it is not a cleaner and must be applied to a clean tire. As far as application goes, I have yet to discover anything which works better than a nice old sock pulled over the hand. You can spray the protectant onto the sock and you will be surprised how far a bottle goes. Also, NO OVERSPRAY on anything!!!!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
</font>
Good idea! I'll have to try both the sock and the 303. It's great stuff. How long does it last on the tires? It's pretty expensive so I'd hope it lasts longer than other applications.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
564 Posts
303 is THE answer here, at least in my book. And it actually is quite an effective cleaner. I use it to clean many things inside the car and out. If I need to clean the tires, I use a rag and scrub a bit. Even the manufacturer talks about its cleaning ability. I use tire wipes instead of the sock when I just need to apply the product to clean tires though (which is most often since I do it after my car washes, where I use a tire brush. Keeps my hand cleaner.

I REALLY love 303 though. Great UV protection, and lasts as long as anything else I've tried. It makes the tires look "new" not wet and greasy, like when you get it back from the detailer.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
596 Posts
One other little thing I do is to wear a disposable latex glove inside the sock. That way, the hand does not get so messy. Don't forget to use 303 on all the door and hatch seals and all underhood rubbergoods. Darell is right, it is real good stuff and you pay a real good price. As to the lasting power, I can't really say that it is a lot more durable than other protectants, but it is nice to know that it does not have petroleum or silicones in it.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
I buy the stuff by the gallon, so the unit price is competitive with any of the cheap stuff you find at the auto stores.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I guess I will run to the 303 site and place an order. I was hoping for a product that would satisfy my immediate gratification but I will sacrifice for qualtiy

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've been using 303 on my interior for about eight or ten months now and it seems to last quite a while. I've only applied it twice and it's effect is still noticeable. A very clean, non-greasy feeling and appearance.

TIP: When preparing to fold the third seat, the headrests were difficult to remove because they were kinda sticky. I coated the chrome shafts and the parts in the seat with 303 and now they pop outa there like watermelon seeds. 303 is a superb plastic lubricant.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wow, Darell, a gallon would last me the rest of my life. You're not supposed to drink it while you do the van, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
200 Posts
I applied the Zaino tire stuff this weekend. It looks a lot like the Armorall product--white and runny. The product provided a nice sheen, but not too shiny. I applied it with a cloth as suggested, which does keep in off the rest of the car, but is challenging until the cloth gets saturated. Anyway, I will post after some time and miles to give a review.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I tried the 303 on my tires. I like it very much, it's just about the finish I like. A perfect look. I've even been cutting my 303 50/50 with water and that flattens the finish a little more.

However, I didn't use the sock trick. There's another applicator I've been using for the last year or so that seems to do a better job for me. See my post at http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000081.html Thanx for the suggestion.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I used Zaino's tire product for the first time about two weeks ago. I picked up a couple of foam tire applicators for a couple of bucks--just two pieces of foam glued together, one very dense for a handle and another, with a curved edge and more open for the working side.

I scrubbed the tires first while washing the car. After the tires were dry I applied the Zaino. I couldn't believe how fast and easy it went on! It couldn't have taken 10 seconds/tire; just about two swipes per tire then moved the car a few inches to expose the bottom (side) surface and another quick swipe.

So far, I like the look; just a simple sheen, not too shiny and it doesn't look painted.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
So far so good on the Zaino tire spray. After a week the tires still look pretty good. There is still the slight sheen as opposed to the dried out look they had before. I will try to report back as to when the tires begin to lose their sheen.

After 3-4 weeks the sheen was gone, but the water still wanted to run off when I cleaned them again. Thanks to Chuck's "cut sponge" suggestion, the application was MUCH easier this time and I think I used a lot less. I can't compare to some of the other products mentioned here, but the Zaino product seems to be working well.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

[This message has been edited by jvennitti (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
I've even been cutting my 303 50/50 with water and that flattens the finish a little more.
</font>
If you like the water trick, you can save yourself some time and trouble by simply applying the 303 while the tires are still wet from washing the car.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

1 - 18 of 18 Posts