Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Odyssey EX/L with DVD and Nav
  • Just brought our relatively new van in for its second service (Service B)
  • The technician advised us that we need to new tires in the front.
  • I should also mention that even though we have a brand new 2019 Odyssey, somehow we managed to get a blowout. So I had to replace that tire with a brand new one.
  • Now they’re trying to make me feel like the others are in bad shape
Question: What is a fair, reasonable price for the tires that come with the Honda Odyssey?
How many miles should brand new tires last?
This technician tried telling me that you need to replace your tires every 7000 miles, to which I laughed and said that I can’t trust this guy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
  • I should also mention that even though we have a brand new 2019 Odyssey, somehow we managed to get a blowout. So I had to replace that tire with a brand new one.
Question: What is a fair, reasonable price for the tires that come with the Honda Odyssey?
This technician tried telling me that you need to replace your tires every 7000 miles, to which I laughed and said that I can’t trust this guy.
Hopefully he meant rotation every 7 K miles, not new tires. Lol. That's just terrible.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
There is no one size fits all answer to the question of how do tires last. Having been in the tire biz I can tell you I have seen tires worn out in 5-7K miles (local police department) and the tires currently on my wife's Ody have 79K on them with lots of life left. Will likely get 100K miles or more on these 80K tires. How and where you drive plays a HUGE part in that. Lots of around town driving aggressive on stops and turns? Much shorter tire life. Loaded heavy day in and day out? Fail to rotate every 5-7K miles? Shorter tire life. 50% or more highway miles and drive like a grandma? Much better tire life. Another common issue with the Ody is the tires that are frequently chosen were really designed for a sedan. Since there are no tires designed specifically for mini vans choose tires that were designed for cross over's or SUV's. They are made to handle the additional weight, typically an extra 1,500 lbs or more compared to a car.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I really appreciate your input on this, pkrface. I always wondered about which tires were best for the Ody. The factory issues have a nice ride but I don't trust them during a light rain or worse, in snow.

My wife's 2012 CRV finally needed tires at around 90,000 km. I opted for the Michelin Defenders. We just came through 8 inches of snow and they did the trick. The next day, she experienced some significant vibration but I believe it was caused by a buildup of snow in one wheel. An overnight defrost in the garage solved the problem.

When the time comes for new rubber on my Ody, I'll be taking your advice - crossover or SUV tires. For my 2002 Ody, I replaced the factory tires with Michelin Harmony tires. I'm sure you remember those. They worked extremely well.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
22 Posts
First, if the tires really wore out that quickly, you have a warranty from the tire manufacturer. They are the ones who warrant the tires for mileage as long as there is no damage to your suspension or tires and you maintained them properly. That would include proper air pressure and rotation.

Second, if you replaced one tire with a new one on an AWD vehicle, the other tires have to be within a certain percentage of thread as the new one. Otherwise the difference in the circumference of the worn tire on the same axle as a new tire could cause damage to the AWD system. Some shops will "shave" a new tire to match the older ones if there is a big difference instead of you having to purchase all new tires to assure the same circumference.

Third, I think the post about them needing rotation is what may be the correct answer.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
First, if the tires really wore out that quickly, you have a warranty from the tire manufacturer. They are the ones who warrant the tires for mileage as long as there is no damage to your suspension or tires and you maintained them properly. That would include proper air pressure and rotation.

Second, if you replaced one tire with a new one on an AWD vehicle, the other tires have to be within a certain percentage of thread as the new one. Otherwise the difference in the circumference of the worn tire on the same axle as a new tire could cause damage to the AWD system. Some shops will "shave" a new tire to match the older ones if there is a big difference instead of you having to purchase all new tires to assure the same circumference.

Third, I think the post about them needing rotation is what may be the correct answer.
Ody is not AWD.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have DWS 06 tires from the Routan that our Odyssey is replacing so they should fit well with the Pilot 20" wheels we got for it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My advice go to 3rd party shop, Good Year for example, ask them if you need new tires or just rotating. It just seems either Honda technician had no idea what they were talking about or it is simple misunderstanding
I rotate my tires every time I do oil change, so about 3500 miles (yeah, I do every 3500, I just simply don't think 7000 mile oil change interval is good)

Even OEM tires should at least survive 20k-30k miles, depends also from how far you drive, how you drive, environment, road quality etc, but 7000 is too early

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My advice go to 3rd party shop, Good Year for example, ask them if you need new tires or just rotating. It just seems either Honda technician had no idea what they were talking about or it is simple misunderstanding
I rotate my tires every time I do oil change, so about 3500 miles (yeah, I do every 3500, I just simply don't think 7000 mile oil change interval is good)

Even OEM tires should at least survive 20k-30k miles, depends also from how far you drive, how you drive, environment, road quality etc, but 7000 is too early
Just to clarify, though the OP doesn't say exactly how may miles are on the van his post would lead one to believe he is following the MM for his service intervals and he is on his second service which likely means he has 14-18K miles on the van, not 7K.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to clarify, though the OP doesn't say exactly how may miles are on the van his post would lead one to believe he is following the MM for his service intervals and he is on his second service which likely means he has 14-18K miles on the van, not 7K.
even at 14k miles it is too early to replace even OEM tires. But it does make sense to rotate them every 7k miles, I don't know lol this is confusing

·
Registered
126 Posts
Expect to pay about $110 per tire.
How long new tires last depends on the tire. Check the treadwear rating of the tire. On my '12 EX-L the 500 tread wear tires lasted 50k miles. That is a very long life for such a heavy car.
The technician you spoke to may have been smoking some funny cigarettes. A short lived passenger tire will last 30K miles. A super high performance summer tire, which no one would put on a minivan, lasts about 10k miles.

I think it is time to find a new place to get your car services.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Michelin Defenders are great. Should ride quieter than the factory tires, have insane treadlife, and ride very well.
My 2016 came with those Michellin's and only lasted less than 40k miles. I got a new set, Copper CS5 Grand Touring with 80k warranty. I read some good things about it. So far, the ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone run with the Vredestein Quatrac Pros? Tirerack has then for $165/tire and the reviews are great. I don't necessarily trust tirerack reviews though, especially for a brand I've never tried before.

I used to exclusively ride the Michelin Defenders, but since I've started using winter tires as well, I'm thinking I can go with something a bit cheaper and prioritize road noise/comfort over traction.

·
Registered
399 Posts
All you need is the information in your 'free' owners manual and a tire tread depth gauge that costs $4 or you can be fancy and get a digital one for $8.
The more educated you become as a customer, the less of a clown you will be at the dealership. Tire rotation is part of your Maintenance Minder.

Ever wonder what the number '1' sub-item is, when you get the A1 or B16? well that 1 says you need to rotate tires. It is great that we can also download the electronic owners manual and keep it on our phones.

Maintenance sub items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone run with the Vredestein Quatrac Pros? Tirerack has then for $165/tire and the reviews are great. I don't necessarily trust tirerack reviews though, especially for a brand I've never tried before.

I used to exclusively ride the Michelin Defenders, but since I've started using winter tires as well, I'm thinking I can go with something a bit cheaper and prioritize road noise/comfort over traction.
Yes I gave them a try. I will preface that I have not had them on long enough to give a full review but so far I'm liking them very much. Seem as quiet as OEM if not, quieter. Wet driving has restored my confidence in the van's abilities, I've not had much snow driving yet, but what little slushy stuff I've been on so far, currently in Killington VT, is definitely way better than the OEM crap that was on the van. I will hopefully know more after driving in full out snow covered roads and longer ownership.

But so far impressed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts